Both The Verge and CNET seem to think the Lumia 920 is too bulky

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
CNET in its review went so far as to say that you can't put it in your jeans front pocket comfortably. What are the other reviews saying about the size and the weight of this phone?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
It seems that bulky and heavy are subjective in terms of cell phones. I need to see the phones in person to decide.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I like the size. I can't wait. Thickness wise it's thinner than the Lumia 900. If 50 grams more than the 8x is a lot to someone they can just keep the phone in their purse.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
So what if they did? When I saw people playing with Surface at the Microsoft Store, I kept hearing things like "I like the size", "It's not too heavy, feels really good", "Light enough for an e-reader" (paraphrased slightly, but I was there for a good 20min just to spy how people reacted to Surface). In the end consumers will decide of if they don't like the weight. Most will like it, some won't.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm a woman and I have no problem with a phone being bulky or "heavy." My iPhone has always been both when I've used battery cases with it, which I did up until May of this year. Plus, I carry my phone in my bag, so no biggie to me at all.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
CNET and Verge both gave it a relatively review. Neither gave it any negative scores due to the size. Verge clearly explains why the weight is the way it is.

My main gripe with The Verge is the ridiculous method they use to score the "Ecosystem". To them, number of apps = Ecosystem, which is ludicrous. They always ignore the synergy and connectivity with Xbox, PC, Tablets etc... and all of Microsofts great services (Xbox Live, Music, Videos, Skydrive, Office etc...). All things that are an obvious part of an Ecosystem.

They score the Ecosystem so low that it drags down the overall score and thus means that all of their WP reviews are so predictable that it's just not worth reading.

Last edited:

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
My main gripe with The Verge is the ridiculous method they use to score the "Ecosystem". To them, number of apps = Ecosystem, which is ludicrous. They always ignore the synergy and connectivity with Xbox, PC, Tablets etc... and all of Microsofts great services (Xbox Live, Music, Videos, Skydrive, Office etc...).

They score the Ecosystem so low that it drags down the overall score and thus means that all of they're WP reviews are so predictable that it's just not worth reading.

Everyone has known for years they suck at ecosystem scoring. People just need to realize it and move on. I mean they have the iOS ecosystem a higher score than Windows.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Some girls not only get cases. They bejewel the heck out of them. Don't they realize how much weight that adds? Women are crazy adventurous when it comes to phone weight. They're like gadget daredevils.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Some girls not only get cases. They bejewel the heck out of them. Don't they realize how much weight that adds? Women are crazy adventurous when it comes to phone weight. They're like gadget daredevils.

If people care so much about slim phones why is Otterbox making so much money?

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Everyone has known for years they suck at ecosystem scoring. People just need to realize it and move on. I mean they have the iOS ecosystem a higher score than Windows.

And that's exactly the reason their biased reviews are so predictable they are not worth reading. Given this fact, why bother reading any of their WP reviews (or anything Microsoft for that matter) when we already know it's going to be scored low?

That Surface review by Joshua was a travesty. Then read his iPad Mini review. It's almost a joke really.

cocopanda

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
CNET in its review went so far as to say that you can't put it in your jeans front pocket comfortably. What are the other reviews saying about the size and the weight of this phone?
hahaha.... have you watched the CNET video. Her pocket wouldnt be able to hold anything besides chewing gum.

I don't know a single girl who keeps her phone in her pockets. Lets try the pocket test on a male's pair of jeans.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Can't put it in front jeans pocket? How small are their pockets? This metrosexual thing is getting out of hand.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a friend who just got a iPhone 5 and he immediately put it in a case. When I was in Boston a few weeks back I asked him 'why?'

His response - "its too light and I'm afraid I'm going to scratch it." Lighter isn't always better.

I'm sure I'll have to get used to it though after using a Focus for the past 2 years (almost to the day ;))

I had to check back on specs, but I could swear the iPhone 4s was heavier than 140g. Its construction sure 'felt' heavier when I used my dad's.

Buy a can of Coke. Drink half of it. That's how heavy the Lumia 920 is. I think I can handle that.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Women dont put phones in their pockets they have purses for that......
And their pockets are usually on tight fitting pants/jeans and tiny anyways.

Men on the other hand.....should never ever wear those skinny jeans.....

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I did a poll on here recently, and on it I asked if any one hardware item would keep the posters on our forums from buying a phone. When I posted it, I stated there was one item that was mentioned continuously on comments for two of our upcoming devices. I said was not buying into the arguments that they make a bit of difference when someone actually purchases a device. The item?

Weight.

Every 920 thread someone mentions the fact it is a brick. Every thread of the Samsung ATIV, someone mentions it is light and feels like a toy. But in the poll? Not one person said the weight of a device would stop them from buying a device. Nada. Zip. Why not? Because it does not freaking matter. It is a matter of OUNCES for the love of all that is Holy. Not pounds.

When my wife and I looked at the Titan and Focus S, I so liked the weight of the Titan and the feel of the build so much better. Loved it. But, every other aspect of the devices (except looks- the "S" is bland) I liked the Focus better. So, I got it, and did not let the light feel bother me. No one is going to pick up the 920, fall in love with the colors, performance, dig the wireless charging, and be amazed with the camera but say "But, it is so heavy. I will just move on to something substandard but light." Ditto the ATIV.

Just a worthless conversation to keep having. Let's see the phones. Bet the weight won't matter even a little once we handle our WP 8's and find the right one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion