Both The Verge and CNET seem to think the Lumia 920 is too bulky

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
weight is not a concern to me. dimensions are.

The dimensions are not so far removed from a galaxy, and smaller than a note. If they can function, Im sure Ill be ok with the nokia.

Still, its a review, and its important specs to a phone so its reported. users can decide what matters to them.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Still, its a review, and its important specs to a phone so its reported. users can decide what matters to them.

Just like I said in the post I linked to... report... yes. Confuse subjective opinion for objective fact... no.

Last edited:

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
If you google search "Lumia 920" the top news story is;

"CNET
Nokia Lumia 920 review: Windows Phone's most powerful handset yet
"

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
hahaha.... have you watched the CNET video. Her pocket wouldnt be able to hold anything besides chewing gum.

I don't know a single girl who keeps her phone in her pockets. Lets try the pocket test on a male's pair of jeans.

don't worry it will not pull your jeans down

firstness

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Men on the other hand.....should never ever wear those skinny jeans.....

Slim, well-fitting clothes help accentuate your figure and look much better than the baggy, shapeless, oversized clothing typically favored by the fashion-challenged.

I find the depth of the pockets makes a big difference in whether a phone will fit comfortably. I've chosen not to buy otherwise fine pairs of jeans solely due to the pockets being too shallow.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I like phones to have a little bulk and weight. I think that many phones today are too thin and light and feel cheap.
My Lumia 900 is bulkier than my wife's Galaxy S2, and I like it as it gives look and feel of superior design, tough build and premiumed material compared to CHEAP plastic used by Galaxy S2

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Even if it weighed 10 pounds, The people here would still claim it is subjective and the reviews are biased.

I think we all prefer lighter and smaller.

Depending how you get there. iphone 5 is very light and slim, but thanks to an extremely ridged design and the heavy use of metals, it feels sturdy.

On the other hand, the G3 is similar dimensions, and is universally regarded as "cheap" feeling. because of all the plastic and multipanel design.

Last I checked, polycarbonate is a fancy word for plastic. the 1 piece design certainly lends some structure. but if it was feather light, it may be perceived differently. We may never know though.

Stadifer

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
What I find hilarious is that The Verge just got done knocking the iPhone 5 for being too light.

Honestly, I was looking at the comparisons of the iPhone 4S and the Lumia 920 and they where fairly negligible at most .5" taller and .1" thicker and about .25 oz heavier? Not much IMO and the iPhone 4S is too small for me. The big concern was my wife who has fairly small hands and while it's big for her she didn't mind it too much.

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Because it does not freaking matter. It is a matter of OUNCES for the love of all that is Holy. Not pounds.
I read some of these reviews, and I can't help thinking the reviewers are a bunch of limp-wristed, tight-jeaned, girly men.

My recently exed girlfriend's purse must have weighed 15 lbs. I have no idea how many ozs she had implanted in her chest, but clearly, her concern was not the extra weight...

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
there won't be a single review that won't mention the weight/size as a negative.. we went trough the exact same thing with the 808, and that one is actually slightly smaller and lighter.. so brace your selves.

They just can't wrap their heads around the fact that good imaging capabilities come at a cost, which is usually weight. Show me another phone with optical image stabilization that is lighter... oh, that's right, such thing doesn't exist! So you basically have no reference point..

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Got to be honest, having had a play with the 8x and 920, its very easy to see how people could complain about the bulk of the 920, especially if they come from something like an iPhone. Can't imagine my missus swapping her iPhone for one, but i could easily see her with the 8X, which is a much more svelte phone.

Its all in the perspective. Theres very little difference between my HD7 & the 920, so i find it a joy to hold.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I love how everyone is talking about weight, we humans are not scales precise to the gram you know. I tried putting a really small plastic bag of 2 dl water (weight = 200 grams + a few grams for the bag) big enough to be the size of a phone in one hand and my iPhone 4 in the other hand (weight of like 130 grams?). It was hard telling which one weighted more and would have been harder had not my brain already known which one was heavier. Having the back curved will further help since less pressure will applied per area on your hand.

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Here's another one for those still living in lala land.

Nokia Lumia 920 review - Pocket-lint

This one really rips into it with several paragraphs.

There's a point when you can't keep blaming the "iPress" or limp-wristed whiny men and face reality. It's a heavy brick of a phone. A year or two ago, a 160g metal-clad HTC phone would get ample complaints of weight. This tops that even, in an era with 112g iPhones and 130g phones with even bigger screens than the Nokia.

Wow, the whole review beings with this:

It's heavy, like really heavy
"There's that word again. 'Heavy.' Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the Earth's gravitational pull?"

That's the first thing you'll notice from the Nokia Lumia 920 and the first thing everyone we've given it to hold has said to us. Asked to describe the phone in one word, it's not good. We've had "brick" we've had "weighty", we've had "chocolate bar" we've even had "tombstone".

The Nokia isn't svelte, it's a slab of polycarbonate and glass wrapped around a mammoth battery that doesn't seem to offer anything much over the competition in terms of performance.

This is a phone that is so heavy you won't want to use it with just one hand. It's uncomfortable to hold for any length of time and in a world where phones are getting lighter and lighter, we're amazed Nokia believes it can get away with it.

To put its weight into perspective, if it were measured in the weight of pound coins it would be the equivalent of 20 of the things in your pocket. That's compared to the iPhone 5's 12 or the Samsung Galaxy S3's 14. In real terms the Lumia 920 weighs in at 185g - even the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with its huge 5-inch screen is lighter.

When the Nokia Lumia 800 and Nokia Lumia 900 where launched, their weight, although heavy, wasn't an issue, the iPhone 4S isn't that light, nor is the HTC One series, but a lot's happened in the past year. The SGS3 is only 133g, the nearest Windows Phone 8 competitor, the HTC 8X, is 130g, the iPhone 5 is 112g. We can't emphasise enough how disappointed we are at just how heavy this phone is.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a huge fan of 4,5"+ screens (coming from 3,5" N8 :D) but personally and everyone else I've asked who has had hands on has liked the weight of the device.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
They just can't wrap their heads around the fact that good imaging capabilities come at a cost, which is usually weight. Show me another phone with optical image stabilization that is lighter... oh, that's right, such thing doesn't exist! So you basically have no reference point..

Except for the fact that the review at the Verge makes that very point - do you people even view/read the reviews that you are complaining about or is it quicker just to start sobbing into your hands?

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, these reviews are starting to make me question whether or not I should get this phone. I'm a real fan of phones with the smallest possible bezels. I got my Motorola Atrix originally because it had a 4" screen in a iPhone 3G/S shell. Single handed use is so easy with it. The weight is a non-issue for me. I've currently got it on pre order but I'll have to give it a good hands on before I go ahead with it.

I don't think I could deal with the 8x with its 4.3" screen whilst still being 3mm taller than the L920. I don't see how it has been getting compliments on its size.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, these reviews are starting to make me question whether or not I should get this phone. I'm a real fan of phones with the smallest possible bezels. I got my Motorola Atrix originally because it had a 4" screen in a iPhone 3G/S shell. Single handed use is so easy with it. The weight is a non-issue for me. I've currently got it on pre order but I'll have to give it a good hands on before I go ahead with it.

I don't think I could deal with the 8x with its 4.3" screen whilst still being 3mm taller than the L920. I don't see how it has been getting compliments on its size.

The best way naturally is to get hands on with the device. I had no problems using the device with one hand (not weight or size-wise) even when I have fairly average hands.

But no, it's probably not for everyone. I've never really paid much attention to bezels myself. I havnt extensively used small-bezel devices (N8, Samsung Omnia 7 neither probably goes into small bezel category), but I do like there to be some area where I wont be accidently hitting buttons when just holding the phone, that drives me furious when that happens :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos