Both The Verge and CNET seem to think the Lumia 920 is too bulky

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
There is only so far I would go with thin & light. To be honest, the iPhone 5 is too light, feels like a toy. The Samsung Ativ S if anything like the GS3 feels like plastic and too thin without a cover. The HTC 8x seems to be just right and I don't mind the thickness of the Lumia 920 as it looks nice. There comes a stage where the overall package is more important than thin & light.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
yes, it doesn't fit in the skinny hipster jeans worn by topolosky and other turds at iVerge. And yes it is probably too heavy for the pale, emaciated weaklings at iCNET. For the rest of the normal human beings in the world it will be just fine.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I popped into my local EE shop and they had the clones on display so I got to feel how it handles. To be honest, I've got no problems at all with the thickness and weight. I feels good and solid to hold. Even though its a clone, you have a feeling of holding a premium device. It screams attitude and definitely a head turner. I guess if you are used to holding an iPhone 5 then its going to feel a bit thick & heavy but its relative. But the feel is good, feels bad a**. Its just such a shame its exclusive to EE.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Again, it weighs exactly as much as my HTC Arrive, but has far better ergonomics/weight distribution. From a review of the Arrive:

Engadget - "The phone's heavy -- as QWERTY sliders tend to be -- but not annoyingly so; really, it's just heavy enough to unmistakably convey that all-important "substantial" feel."

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
After reading the specs, I just realized the 920 is actually thinner than the htc trophy, and I thought the trophy was pretty thin! (first smartphone)

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a question.i have a question . Is the lumia 920 as thick as a iPhone 3GS ? I'm using a 3GS because my focus fell off the top of an elevate 10 stories down. The 3GS is a thick phone

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I have a question.i have a question . Is the lumia 920 as thick as a iPhone 3GS ? I'm using a 3GS because my focus fell off the top of an elevate 10 stories down. The 3GS is a thick phone

Looking at the specs the Lumia 920 is slightly thinner by 1.5mm but heavier by 50g. But going by numbers doesn't mean much because the ergonomics and weight distribution plays a part on the "feel". You best try it out for yourself.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Except for the fact that the review at the Verge makes that very point - do you people even view/read the reviews that you are complaining about or is it quicker just to start sobbing into your hands?
I was referring to "most" and specifically that pocket lint one..

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Everyone wants to call it a brick. Well ****, I live in Detroit where carrying a "brick" could be seen as an advantage. :cool:

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I love the fact that my 900 is a brick. I don't feel the need to have a bulky case on it to protect it's fragile little ******. I like a nice form fitting silicon case that protects it from drops and scratches. I like that my phone can take a beating and move on without issues. Sure it's large but have you seen a GS3 or iPhone in a freaking otterbox? I still think my 900 is just as tough as the other phones in an otter box without an otter box. Otter boxes are ugly, A nice strong phone that doesn't need a giant case is sexy. :cool:

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Anything The Verge says automatically carries zero credibility in my eyes. I don't visit their site and I don't care about their reviews. All they do is **** on Windows Phone relentlessly.

CNET I'm more apt to trust for some level headed commentary.

As far as the phone being bulky though, if these guys don't think the endless procession of increasingly ridiculously large Android phones are too "bulky" then they shouldn't mind the 920 I'd think. It does weigh a few more grams than the cheap Korean junk Samsung cranks out though.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Anything The Verge says automatically carries zero credibility in my eyes. I don't visit their site and I don't care about their reviews. All they do is **** on Windows Phone relentlessly.

CNET I'm more apt to trust for some level headed commentary.

As far as the phone being bulky though, if these guys don't think the endless procession of increasingly ridiculously large Android phones are too "bulky" then they shouldn't mind the 920 I'd think. It does weigh a few more grams than the cheap Korean junk Samsung cranks out though.
Lol. Nokias are made in Korea as well.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Paul Thurrott that well known apple fan boy has just published a article where he talks about moving from his lumia 900 to a HTC 8X partly because the 920 is a 'honking beast of a machine'.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-phone-8/htc-windows-phone-8x-144722

Quick.... Em.. HTC have paid him off... No wait the CIA!

He also has the hands of someone suffering from Dwarfism according to those pictures.

If Jessica Alba can handle it, I am pretty sure he could as well.

HTC fanboys are just making it much more harder on themselves for when the 920 outsells the 8X. They are leaving themselves no spin room.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
He also has the hands of someone suffering from Dwarfism according to those pictures.

If Jessica Alba can handle it, I am pretty sure he could as well.

HTC fanboys are just making it much more harder on themselves for when the 920 outsells the 8X. They are leaving themselves no spin room.

I have no idea how it will go overseas but it is likely impossible for the 920 to beat the 8X in the UK because of the one carrier exclusive and higher price (and before some slack jawed yokel accuses me of being a HTC ******, I own a lumia 800, have never owned a HTC and have no plans to buy a HTC).

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Paul Thurrott that well known apple fan boy has just published a article where he talks about moving from his lumia 900 to a HTC 8X partly because the 920 is a 'honking beast of a machine'.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-phone-8/htc-windows-phone-8x-144722

Quick.... Em.. HTC have paid him off... No wait the CIA!

I get his "good enough" qualifying with the camera and all, but the 16GB vs. 32GB and HTC's apps vs. Nokia apps make it impossible for me to go with the 8X.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea how it will go overseas but it is likely impossible for the 920 to beat the 8X in the UK because of the one carrier exclusive and higher price (and before some slack jawed yokel accuses me of being a HTC ******, I own a lumia 800, have never owned a HTC and have no plans to buy a HTC).

I wasn't calling you an HTC ******. I was referring to the notorious one on this forum that everyone knows. Winter, brmiller, etc.

And Nokias sell like gangbusters overseas. And people overseas tend to buy unlocked anyways. So they will get a Pentaband unlocked or whatever they need.

I get his "good enough" qualifying with the camera and all, but the 16GB vs. 32GB and HTC's apps vs. Nokia apps make it impossible for me to go with the 8X.

I'm still waiting on those OIS video tests of the HTC 8X.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't calling you an HTC ******. I was referring to the notorious one on this forum that everyone knows. Winter, brmiller, etc.

And Nokias sell like gangbusters overseas. And people overseas tend to buy unlocked anyways. So they will get a Pentaband unlocked or whatever they need.

I'm still waiting on those OIS video tests of the HTC 8X.

This is a bit of a myth - at least in western Europe - anyway there is no unlocked version in the UK and the percentage of people who will import one us tiny - it is all down to the contract action.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
This is a bit of a myth - at least in western Europe - anyway there is no unlocked version in the UK and the percentage of people who will import one us tiny - it is all down to the contract action.

The Phones4U version works on EE, Orange, and T-Mobile.

What is the major carrier in the UK?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720