Both The Verge and CNET seem to think the Lumia 920 is too bulky

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
HTC fanboys are just making it much more harder on themselves for when the 920 outsells the 8X.

Hahahaha

oh-wait-youre-serious-let-me-laugh-even-harder.jpg

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't know, somehow i feel like reading about size from a review is weird.

This is the worlds easiest thing to test and figure out yourself if the phone is fine for you. Just test the phone yourself before buying.
If you can't test it yet, it weights about the same as Note 2.

Lumia 900 4.3" screen
127.8 x 68.5 x 11.5 mm

Lumia 920 4.5" screen
130.3 x 70.8 x 10.7 mm

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't get where these complaints about being too big and bulky are coming from all of a sudden considering the fact that other phones out there have been released with similar weights. It is heavier than the average smartphone out there, but these reviews are making it sound like you're holding a cinder block in your hand.

boomerz

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Jessica Alba can carry an ipad and a Nokia Lumia 920 in one hand just fine. I'm quite sure she's not a professional weight lifter yet she is stronger than all the complainers about bulk/weight.

jessica-alba.jpg

churchwa

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Everyone needs to remember that these reviewers use iPhones. I use an htc titan and went to play with the 920 yesterday at phones4u, they are the same size and the weight is basically the same. If you have a big phone already, it is nothing new. Don't get caught up with the specs. Nokia would not release a phone nobody could hold.

Yes it is a big phone but it is not really breaking any new ground. My titan I thought was big at first but I soon got used to it.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You don't know what phone they have for personal use.
Everyone needs to remember that these reviewers use iPhones. I use an htc titan and went to play with the 920 yesterday at phones4u, they are the same size and the weight is basically the same. If you have a big phone already, it is nothing new. Don't get caught up with the specs. Nokia would not release a phone nobody could hold.

Yes it is a big phone but it is not really breaking any new ground. My titan I thought was big at first but I soon got used to it.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Jessica Alba can carry an ipad and a Nokia Lumia 920 in one hand just fine. I'm quite sure she's not a professional weight lifter yet she is stronger than all the complainers about bulk/weight.

Click to view quoted image

Oh that is just brilliant and a well made point :happy:

I had a Nokia N900 which was 180g, it was heavyish in the pocket in the same way that a pocketful of coins was, but I still loved that phone. The lumia 920 is a better form factor than that. so Im not expecting any issues.
I think some of the angst comes from the fact that we would like it to be smaller, lighter, but that won't stop us from buying it as we want the features, we just wish it had them all and was smaller and lighter..

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
So.....Jessica D complained about the bulk when it didn't fit in her jeans that were made to hug her ***. I wish she would have tried placing another phone in there to compare so that we could have seen the same issue. Also, in her review of the S3, which is .1 inch larger in screen diameter, she made no reference to size at all. I'm really losing faith in anything she has to say.

And yes, I do love my 900. Dropped it at the gun range onto the concrete numerous times face down and nary a scratch on the screen. The construction is solid and there is no need for a case. Was with a female friend one day while she was getting a mani/pedi (yeah, was playing chauffer. Don't ask), and the ladies inside all asked what case I had on my phone. I was like, no case. It's a Nokia Lumia. They were all oohing and aahhing over it. Then again, they were Asian, so they were way more familiar with the Nokia brand apparently. I had to pass it around so they could all take a look.

The size thing is really relative. I can't wait to get my hands on the bigger 920. I like solid feeling construction. That just makes me feel like there is quality components inside. My personal opinion.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Don't you have a bet with someone about something similar? Where you were picking the Ativ as the best seller?

I do, I bet with Big Supes. There's a couple of variations, one was like The Lumia 920 is going to outsell samsung and HTC combined!! and things like that before we knew it was exclusive.

If I recall correctly the current bet is 920 vs 8X or Nokia vs HTC. I don't think samsung is involved. If you can find it and refresh my memory I'll be grateful.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I do, I bet with Big Supes. There's a couple of variations, one was like The Lumia 920 is going to outsell samsung and HTC combined!! and things like that before we knew it was exclusive.

If I recall correctly the current bet is 920 vs 8X or Nokia vs HTC. I don't think samsung is involved. If you can find it and refresh my memory I'll be grateful.

Maybe Big Supes remembers. I recall a discussion, but don't remember what the final bet is.

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I posted a bit of a tear on the Verge about this. Frankly my Lumia weighs less than my family's 2 iPhones or my co-workers two Galaxy S 2's. Why? Because like 90+% of all iPhones out there those shards of glass are cloaked in bulky cases and auxiliary batteries. And the S 2's scared the heck out of their Owners, who rapidly enclosed them in masses of rubber or Kevlar! Kevlar for crisakes!
Sure, you can get a lighter phone, if you don't need a battery that will last the day, and don't mind sweeping up the glad and plastic shards should ir tumble 18" to the carpet (yes, that destroyed my Daughter's iPhone!). Meanwhile, my Lumia 900 rides bareback in my pocket all day without an auxiliary battery, and has fallen to the pavement 3 times without a scratch.

These specious weight comparisons are BS that anyone in the business should laugh at. Unfortunately, The Verge et al are part of the New Media, where anyone who can type is an instant Savant.

Look deeper

Cellus13

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
People will find something to complain about when it comes to windows phone. Its seems like to them they're wearing glasses where everything Nokia does is wrong. Doesn't matter in the end the consumer decides what phone they want, NOT CNET or the Verge.

CrackBerry Kevin

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm typing this post right now on the Nokia Lumia 920 and I think the 920 is effen perfect. It's arguably a little bulkier than some of the competition but I think it works. Feels great in my hand and exudes quality.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm typing this post right now on the Nokia Lumia 920 and I think the 920 is effen perfect. It's arguably a little bulkier than some of the competition but I think it works. Feels great in my hand and exudes quality.

You should get one of Colbert's "Wrist-Strong" gel bracelets. You and Alba are brave for risking injury carrying a 6 ounce device.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
While opinions will be opinions, let's be honest. Both of those reviews seemed to be favoring Apple. If you are going to compare every aspect of the phone to the iPhone 5, well yes, it's thicker and heavier. What I don't understand is why girth and weight (we are not talking something the size of the unabridged Merriam Webster dictionary here) seem to be the be all end all of a phone review.

Here is basically what they say about the phone, in a nutshell:

"Compared to the iPhone 5, the Lumia 920 has a better screen (colors, touch response, size), better camera, better charging, and of course NFC (which most reviewers seem to think is a neutral point for some reason). But is is thicker and 50% heavier, therefore it is no good."

When did the thinness and weight of a phone become the standards by which quality is measured? And where were these people when the Droid RAZER launched during the 4S lifecycle. Why wasn't the Droid RAZER automatically promoted king of the hill?

What am I rambling on about? There is bias, and I would say it is perhaps an unintentional OS bias. Reviewers are used to iOS. They have been using it since modern smartphone OS's existed. Change? Change is bad. Change means we have to adapt. We don't want to adapt.

This is coming from a person who has had EVERY SINGLE iPhone since it's inception, with the exception of the iPhone 5. There is only one thing that worries me about the 920, and that is app adoption. Admittedly, with the changes that MS has done to the dev kit, and the slew of more recent apps hitting (or soon to hit) the market, this worry has lessened.

One last thing before my I end my rant; the Nokia Lumia 900 reached EOL WAYYYYYY too soon. Some people will argue that this isn't the case, that MS is still giving them WP 7.8. But app development has all but ceased. IMO the phone shouldn't have been released. That is my only SINGLE gripe about Nokia. Let's hope they learn from their mistakes and don't do something like that again.

bmarsden

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Galaxy Note gets great reviews...

Why don't the review sites ***** about the Galaxy Note or Galaxy Note II -- they weigh 178g and 183g respectively?

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

.............I hate you. For us mere mortals we have to wait a whole freaking week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes