Lumia 920 Review - clear bias

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Long Nokia. I think now is a perfectly fine entry point to buy and hold for the mid-term. Us American's have SUCH a negative view on Nokia, thus all of the stock shorting going on in NY. We think that just because they've been irrelevant here for so long, they must be doomed for bankruptcy. We don't really stop to think about the rest of the world.

I think everyone's bearish on Nokia because their point of strength is supposed to be their international/emerging market reach, yet their device sales and market power in China are falling through the floor. They're very close to losing the Chinese market, and if that happens than it's truly lights out for them. They've already pretty much lost the U.S. market for good....

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I think everyone's bearish on Nokia because their point of strength is supposed to be their international/emerging market reach, yet their device sales and market power in China are falling through the floor. They're very close to losing the Chinese market, and if that happens than it's truly lights out for them. They've already pretty much lost the U.S. market for good....

How do you figure?

I'm just curious what you're basing those statements upon.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Samsung is destroying the lower markets with their Galaxy Y/Ace devices.

Here's the best part about the Gizmodo review.

Should You Buy It?
It kills me to say this, because I wanted to own this instead of an iPhone 5, but no. No you shouldn't. It's too big and heavy. It's not fun to own. It's not enjoyable to use. If you want a Windows Phone, check out the very good HTC 8X. But this? No, not this.

1024474_o.gif

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The whole weight issue is getting utterly ridiculous...

All these reviews saying its heavy is making it sound like its a 5 lb brick phone the size of a book while everything else weighs as much as a calculator.

I mean cmon exaggerate much?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
They are speaking in relative terms.
The whole weight issue is getting utterly ridiculous...

All these reviews saying its heavy is making it sound like its a 5 lb brick phone the size of a book while everything else weighs as much as a calculator.

I mean cmon exaggerate much?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
They are just trying to spice things up. Maybe the 920 is so heavy is downright comical, so reviewers want to make jokes about it. We will never know until we hold one, but that many reviewers can't be all wrong.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
They are just trying to spice things up. Maybe the 920 is so heavy is downright comical, so reviewers want to make jokes about it. We will never know until we hold one, but that many reviewers can't be all wrong.

The 920 is 0.06 lbs heavier than the 900 and the 900 feels fantastic. Give it up already.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The 900 feels far from fantastic. It was made with a complete disregard for comfort and ergonomics. I've never had enjoyed having it in my hands, it wasn't made with a human hand in mind.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the point here not absolute weight but rather relative to the competition? That is what I get the sense is being judged.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

stealthology

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
By that logic, the first wave of lumia devices would have sold in significantly higher than they actually did.

If I remember correctly, 600,000 of the 4 million 900's sold in 2Q were from the US.

Gizmodo's review was brutal

At least the comments are full of reason and people blasting the author. Lol. How how many people read those? :/

They were rapidly losing market share in China and some other emerging markets. The switched from Symbian to Asha phones occured just earlier this year, so it's a transition phase (needed to be done). They will definitely re-capture a chunk. Nokia has already partnered with China's #1 provider (forgot the name) to sell the 920. Nokia still has a great reputation in India, South America, Africa, EUROPE, etc.

The 900 feels far from fantastic. It was made with a complete disregard for comfort and ergonomics. I've never had enjoyed having it in my hands, it wasn't made with a human hand in mind.

I assume you owned one and sold it? (I didn't even bother, hardware wasn't up to par. I decided to wait for WP8).

Isn't the point here not absolute weight but rather relative to the competition? That is what I get the sense is being judged.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

920 is 25% heavier than the iPhone 4/4s. There's a reason for that, too: namely the camera, and wireless charging

CoolBeit

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I thought the verge review was pretty good.....

And is a 7.8 that big of a deal when iphone got an 8.8 and n4 got a 8.3? The only complaints were a lack of apps and a slightly disappointing camera in daylight. I can't imagine that would turn anyone off from buying it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Isn?t it stupid to compare 3.5" phone with 4.5" screen size?

Yes and no. I'm a fan of heavier phones and dislike fe. Samsung for that reason, but Samsung has like 4,8" screen devices that weight that 130g.

So in that sense screen size is not an indication of weight alone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss