The Farce of the Nokia Lumia 920 in the UK

Sparkyscrum

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I went to to P4U on Oxford Street (the big one) and they had got 5 black 920's and I think she said 3 white 920's.

I arrived with the last handset still there and got to try it (guy behind me was leaving details) and was offered it on 3GB for ?9.99 for 18 month 4G contract with 18 month upgrade. I didn't take it in the end. Guy behind me ended up with handset.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I phoned P4U, got exact deal I wanted for mins and texts and internet. 2yr contract though, but better than the website prices. System glitch prevented it going through as there was a problem with Orange. He has reserved the offer , so I know that is safe. He is calling me Monday to complete the order. Black one then takes up to 5 days to arrive. Although I expect it will be quicker.

Last edited:

GlennEdwards

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I went to to P4U on Oxford Street (the big one) and they had got 5 black 920's and I think she said 3 white 920's.

I arrived with the last handset still there and got to try it (guy behind me was leaving details) and was offered it on 3GB for ?9.99 for 18 month 4G contract with 18 month upgrade. I didn't take it in the end. Guy behind me ended up with handset.
He he, I got my black Lumia 920 at 11am from the big PHones4U in Oxford St :) I think I was one of the first, as about 20 mins later, whilst I was still sorting out my upgrade contract, about 3 other people came in asking for the 920.

I managed to bag a Black 920 on EE4G, even though they were selling white at EE4G, and black as 3G only.

Also got a Nokia voucher for a free wireless charger :) Though I did have to go to another Phones4U to find out about that.

Glenn

kougei

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Farce, yes, but the drama is over ....

Phoned store near work, entered into another ridiculous argument, saying I was hearing the 'sale' on Saturday was nonsense and phones4u stores were selling today. He quoted me his message from head office "Nokia Lumia 920 available in store from tomorrow and Saturday". I then questioned, why he thought it couldn't be sold today, he said because it says from tomorrow, I asked when the message arrived, he said yesterday. I then pointed out that on Thursday, tomorrow is Friday, and today is Friday, he twigged and said he now understood the message, as some stores get deliveries on Saturday, some on Friday. So he went away and came back and said the 'system issue' still persisted. I moaned a bit and he agreed to chase up the issue with their tech support. To my surprise he phoned back 2 hours later, confirmed the issue resolved, and invited me in to collect and buy. I was still apprehensive, when I arrived at 6:15, but the guys on the shop were apologetic, friendly, and marvelling at the phone, when we opened the box, and they all said they had never before seen such 'interest' and demand for a phone before, not even the iPhone launches. Sale went through, I am now a black Lumia 920 owner. Will post comments on the UK owners thread. Best of luck to everyone else still struggling to get hands on one.

Shakthis

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
They just called me to say I can pick up the phone tomorrow morning.

I have an O2 SIM and I'm getting it Sim-Free (the black one).

I know my O2 SIM won't work but I'll get an unlock code and see if that solves it. Wish me luck
pls do update us does it works on o2 sim? I would love to get one if it works..

stevridie

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Bought 920 today from Phones4u, Sheffield. Have bought it outright with T-Mobile Unlimited Data/Txt/Mins 12Month Sim only contract.

Chap in the store said they'd only sold 3 and each one had been bought outright!

Mine does load up the EE homepage when opening internet explorer(easily changeable), other than that there isn't any branding printed on the device and no EE only apps/startup logo.

Very happy with it. :cool:

xH4RRYx

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I talked to a sales rep today and he said the sim free ones are unlocked, haven't brought myself to spend ?460 on one yet to test on giffgaff.

Barry Britcher

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I have tested it myself - it does not work on three UK - it is not fully unlocked - it will only support EE, Tmobile or orange and there is no plan to change it anytime soon

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Mine does load up the EE homepage when opening internet explorer(easily changeable), other than that there isn't any branding printed on the device and no EE only apps/startup logo.

How exactly do you change the homepage. Didn't think there was an option to set this in WP8?

Sparkyscrum

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
He he, I got my black Lumia 920 at 11am from the big PHones4U in Oxford St :) I think I was one of the first, as about 20 mins later, whilst I was still sorting out my upgrade contract, about 3 other people came in asking for the 920.

I managed to bag a Black 920 on EE4G, even though they were selling white at EE4G, and black as 3G only.

Also got a Nokia voucher for a free wireless charger :) Though I did have to go to another Phones4U to find out about that.

Glenn

Do you see the display yellow 920? It didn't look that great (hence why I liked the idea of a black handset).

The was a constant stream of people asking about the 920 and I was there at 1500. Reps said it was a much more requested phone than the iPhone 5.

sibrecat

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I have just returned from phones 4u after trying to purchase a sim free black Nokia lumia 920, it doesn't work on O2 even though they are selling it on O2, the manager had no idea why or head office when he rang them. Came home empty handed, what a joke :(

mercilesskiller

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Hahaha unbelievable.

So I went to buy the Black Lumia 920. The guy in P4U said my O2 Sim 100% WOULD work in the phone.

Bought it Sim-Free. Asked HIM to put the SIM in to show it working. Of course it was locked and wanted a code. He said no problem and called his head office. The code didn't work and the P4U technical department told him, AND I QUOTE:
"The Black is 4G only but the white is 3G+4G thus will work with O2"

This is incorrect (the white is 4G only!). To prove it, I told him to try a T-Mobile 3G sim in the black one I just bought. He did, and it worked.

I proceeded to buy a Sim Only Tmobile deal (same price as O2 simplicity with unlimited data) so I now have a working 920...

P4U is a joke of a business.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Have to say, I absolutely love my 920, great screen, amazing low light shots and it just feels so snappy.
Shame Im going back to P4U and returning it on Thurs, as the whole locked to EE is a complete dealbreaker and the 2 mobile unlock sites that I have actually managed to have a P2P chat with reckoned it would be 3-4 weeks before they could unlock these devices.
Im going to get my money back and wait for the german order to come through in about a weeks time...

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, I think all of them are dire. The more I walked around town, the more depressed I became at the lack of knowledge about the products they sell. Few had any awareness whatsoever of the majority of features on the phone. Poor show all around.

On the upside, the P4U guy on the phone did at least get me the deal I wanted. ?28.50 pm, free phone, enough minutes and interweb for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05