The Farce of the Nokia Lumia 920 in the UK

sudakoma

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes! Finally got my hands on one of these elusive beauties after months of waiting!

Like a lot of you here I have also done the rounds of scouring the web, phone calls and visits to shops trying to get hold of one. I posted in another thread regarding P4U and how they are simply confusing the whole 'sim-free' situation with their misleading website and incorrect information being given out by customer support staff. Even shop staff don't have a clue about the products they are selling!

I was phoning round this morning and one local store insisted they had all 4 colours in stock (red, yellow, black and white) and they were all totally unlocked to all networks.

When I arrived at the shop they only had black and white. that was ok as I wanted a black one anyway. When I tried my O2 sim in it didn't work, just came up with the message that it was locked to other networks and to contact customer support. So much for being totally unlocked!

After handling the device I simply couldn't walk out empty handed so I signed up for a 12 month contract with EE.

Its been a long frustrating wait at times but the wait has been worth it, its an awesome device and I'm a very proud new owner! :D

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Name: Windows Phone
Model: NOKIA Lumia 920
Carrier: EE
Software: Windows Phone 8.0
Screen resolution: 768x1280

OS version: 8.0.9903.10
Firmware revision number: 1232.2110.1244.3011
Hardware revision number: 1.0.0.0
Radio software version: 1.0.202041.3
Chip SOC version: 8960

Muessig, did you buy your phone on EE or Orange/TMobile (I'm presuming EE)? Could someone who bought their phone on Orange/TMobile post the same info please (specifically the "Carrier" value in settings > about).

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Muessig, did you buy your phone on EE or Orange/TMobile (I'm presuming EE)? Could someone who bought their phone on Orange/TMobile post the same info please (specifically the "Carrier" value in settings > about).
Hey I bought mine sim-free with an Orange PAYG sim. That's the information I get. It only says EE is the Carrier and nothing more. I was under the impression kinda the whole point of WP8 was that MS don't have to go through the networks for updates anymore since they can update a phone OTA.

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the phone gets locked to the first network you choose or can you move between network (within the EE group, of course).

For example; if you insert an Orange sim will the phone still work on a T-mobile sim afterwards or is now locked to just work with Orange?

Ryan Spooner

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Have to say, I absolutely love my 920, great screen, amazing low light shots and it just feels so snappy.
Shame Im going back to P4U and returning it on Thurs, as the whole locked to EE is a complete dealbreaker and the 2 mobile unlock sites that I have actually managed to have a P2P chat with reckoned it would be 3-4 weeks before they could unlock these devices.
Im going to get my money back and wait for the german order to come through in about a weeks time...

Where in Germany have you ordered your 920 from? Presumably these are totally unlocked so any network SIM will work in them?

DrThete

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, I think all of them are dire. The more I walked around town, the more depressed I became at the lack of knowledge about the products they sell. Few had any awareness whatsoever of the majority of features on the phone. Poor show all around.

On the upside, the P4U guy on the phone did at least get me the deal I wanted. ?28.50 pm, free phone, enough minutes and interweb for me.

Can I just clarify this - the P4U guy was willing and able to give you the phone free on the (presumably Orange) ?28.50 tariff? Was that the Panther one with 1GB Internet?

'Cos the guy I spoke to was insistent that on the ?28.50 tariff my only option was to pay ?140 and no discounts were possible. So if I actually could have got a better deal, I won't be happy with them.

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if the phone gets locked to the first network you choose or can you move between network (within the EE group, of course).

For example; if you insert an Orange sim will the phone still work on a T-mobile sim afterwards or is now locked to just work with Orange?

Nah it's not like the Apple iPhone products - if it's locked to a particular network/particular networks then this will remain so.

Swapping an EE-Group Locked 920 with different EE, Orange and T-Mobile SIMs can be done without limit!

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Just to confirm to everyone - my NOKIA Lumia 820 SIM Free arrived yesterday morning and it is superb, it makes the 800 it's replacing look like cheese mould and it may actually be more like a 900 in many ways.

Either way, I'm bloody happy to now FINALLY own a NOKIA with Windows Phone 8, now the 920 can take all the time it wants with its 'Exclusivity Period'...I'll wait forever if I have to thanks to the epic 820!!

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Can I just clarify this - the P4U guy was willing and able to give you the phone free on the (presumably Orange) ?28.50 tariff? Was that the Panther one with 1GB Internet?

'Cos the guy I spoke to was insistent that on the ?28.50 tariff my only option was to pay ?140 and no discounts were possible. So if I actually could have got a better deal, I won't be happy with them.

I'll be honest, the names of the plan could be a panther 36, not sure. But he said it was available at ?39 on an 18 month contract, or ?36 on 24 months. I advised that it was too high for me at that price. He then said that if i took the longer contract they would offer me a bill credit of ?5. Taking the pricep to ?31.

We talked about the phone for a while, I told him I would need to think t it.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry.... Phone is playing up.

Continued....

I explained, that I was looking for more like the price my gf got on her HTC One S earlier in the year. He asked if I would hold for while. When he came back he agreed to put me on a ?28.50 plan with 600 mins, 1GB data, unlimited texts plus two swapables.

I told him to sign me up. During that process my Orange contract details would not go on to his system. So we are going to have to finish it Monday.

I also confirmed that I would get the speaker and charging plate.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Am I right in thinking anyone that gets the phone on contract gets the charging plate and the bluetooth speaker, but if you get sim free you only get the charging plate?

I went to 2 Phones4U shops yesterday about the charging plate. One of them said you can get the charging plate but you apply for it online. The other one said you can't do it online and you have to go in store to get it (from next weds as thats when their delivery is).

They never cease to amaze me these people - which one is it?

kougei

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
There is no 'official' at P4U I think each store makes it up as they see fit, according to how much they want your business.

FWIW, I think the pad is a Nokia redemption offer, I got a sticker with a serial number to redeem with Nokia online, with my sim-free purchase, and the website T's and C's mention buying a phone, not a contract.

I suspect the 'speaker' is definitely a contract deal, only for new carrier deals. Again the website only mentions this deal against carrier tariffs. I certainly didn't get anything with sim-free.

By the way, is it only me that thinks the term sim-free should just mean 'sold off contract', and not 'carrier unlocked'? I kind of think people complaining at mis-advertising are possibly in the wrong. It's also been made clear the phones sold at P4U are carrier locked to EE companies, officially by 2 to 3 sources. Even the display material instore strongly supports this. It's just the often clueless staff confusing things.

kuroneko0509

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the speaker, but in my case the wireless charging plate have to apply online on the website. The staff at Phones4u sticked the code on my Lumia 920 box.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Am I right in thinking anyone that gets the phone on contract gets the charging plate and the bluetooth speaker, but if you get sim free you only get the charging plate?

I went to 2 Phones4U shops yesterday about the charging plate. One of them said you can get the charging plate but you apply for it online. The other one said you can't do it online and you have to go in store to get it (from next weds as thats when their delivery is).

They never cease to amaze me these people - which one is it?

With every purchase of a Lumia 820/920 you can apply for a free wireless charging plate directly from Nokia Nokia Free Charger

The free speaker seem to be a Phones4U special offer so will have to buy from them.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
There is too much confusion with this launch; do you get a free wireless charger, speaker, is SIM free really SIM free?

For my part the most confusing thing is I don't understand why Nokia are not selling the product SIM free. I have no idea of figures but surely the number of people buying SIM free who are also free to switch to Orange without penalty before the exclusive period expires can't be that large. Can it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb