The Farce of the Nokia Lumia 920 in the UK

AgentSplurge

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
So here we are at 9 am in the UK. Anyone want to place a wager on their store calling regarding handset availability today?
I had a call from Cardiff store this morning to say they had them in stock. I ordered online yesterday though so didn't ask what colours, how many etc sorry!

mercilesskiller

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Called all the shops in Leeds. Either tomorrows delivery or Tuesdays delivery. They said they wont know how many they'll have (between 1 or 6 per store was the estimate). Absolute shambles.

To make things worse, CEO of Nokia just tweeted:
Stephen Elop ‏@selop

Met w/ @Music_Nokia in Bristol. Created my artist mix, got it offline & enjoyed on my #Lumia 920 Nokia Music update ushers in the Lumia 920 and 820 with Artist Profiles - SlashGear pic.twitter.com/xAiZJ7S5

Good to know he's in the UK with his Lumia 920 enjoying the features while us consumers are being forced to somehow struggle to get one at all.

I'm *this* close to giving in. At least I can actually get an iPhone even if I'd prefer a Lumia...!

rhocalcam

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just rung Bath P4U - They had a 'very limited' number of handsets delivered to them today - They've already sold the two black ones. The guy said that the black was locked, and white/red/yellow wasn't locked (I thought it was the other way around but he repeated this twice)

He expects more delivered on Monday

bhogal

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Will someone please buy one of these sim free from phones4u and try a range on SIM cards to see if they work!!!!

Guys, I just went into a major Phones 4u store and a 920 was reserved for me in black.

However Phones 4u Twitter is correct when they say that it is infact locked to EE TMOBILE ORANGE even when bought SIMFree!!!

I tried my o2 and Vodafone SIMs and the message upon boot was "This SIM is locked to another phone and cannot be used with this handset, please contact your operator for an unlock code. You have 10 more attempts remaining"

It is extremely disappointing to see Nokia being exclusive with Extremely Extortionate 4G!

However my Orange SIM worked.

Deutschland is where one can look now for SIM Free, I guess.

I wonder if Nokia delayed stock because they needed the extra time flashing locked firmware as I noticed this stock was not just UK or European stock it was specifically Phones 4u GB designation

Last edited:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Is it the same site? :eek: One is cellphoneunlock.net and the other is cellunlocker.net are they owned by the same people?

AgentSplurge

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
No branding on the phone, on startup or anything.
That's good, I hate branding, I want it to all be windows with maybe a nokie logo on the front, none of this Orange/t-mobile crap! I never could stand the Orange wallpapers and startup screen they shipped the N95 with, always had to drbrand first thing!

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
So yesterday I finally called EE and complained about their outrageous plans and handset prices . The best I got was a discount of ?99 for the Lumia 920 on the 12 month 1GB plan. It wasn?t good enough so they put me through to the upgrade department as I?m a T-Mobile customer. The rep said I can be upgraded on my current plan for ?199. I said I will think over it and asked to give me a call tomorrow.

Today I went to both EE and P4U shops close to work. They had no stock but was expecting delivery on Monday. It was the same story from another EE shop near my home. I'm fed up with the shops, none of them seem to know when the Lumias would arrive. For all I know it could be general delivery.

Well, got a call today from T-Mobile about the offer, I get to keep my unlimited internet & tethering on my 18 month ?21 plan plus get a discount of ?6 on my monthly contract which brings it down to ?15. The cost of the phone was still ?199. This is by far the cheapest option since the cost of the phone + contract over 18 months is ?469. The only snag is that delivery may take up to 10 days however they are sending the phones out today so may get it sooner.

So there you go, I have ordered it and am a happy bunny. Yes its a bore to wait but I'm glad I didn't switch and in the end it worked out fine.

On another note she said there have neen a lot of inquiries about the phones and is quite popular at the moment. Even as I was at Phones4U & EE there were people wanting to buy this phone.

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Can someone with a 'sim free' phone confirm what the carrier code is on the phones (in the about section of settings)? In the past this showed as CV UK SW variant, for truly unlocked phones.

I'm just wondering if we buy one of these 'sim free' phones, if we'll still be dependent on carrier testing for updates.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Can someone with a 'sim free' phone confirm what the carrier code is on the phones (in the about section of settings)? In the past this showed as CV UK SW variant, for truly unlocked phones.

I'm just wondering if we buy one of these 'sim free' phones, if we'll still be dependent on carrier testing for updates.
Name: Windows Phone
Model: NOKIA Lumia 920
Carrier: EE
Software: Windows Phone 8.0
Screen resolution: 768x1280

OS version: 8.0.9903.10
Firmware revision number: 1232.2110.1244.3011
Hardware revision number: 1.0.0.0
Radio software version: 1.0.202041.3
Chip SOC version: 8960

kawadatoshiaki

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Here's the fun and games I've had today:

- called a local Phones 4 U this morning at 10am. They confirmed they'd be getting two black 920s and one white one. They said deliveries normally arrive at midday and they'd call me when they'd arrive;

- I got to the shop at 2pm. They didn't phone, of course, but the girl who answered my call is the one I was approached by when I walked in and she remembered speaking to me. She said the phones hadn't been cleared on their system but that shouldn't be a problem. I said I wanted to get the phone on Fully Monty with T-Mobile. She checked her system and paper documents- both stated that the 920 isn't available on the Full Monty tariff (despite the Phones 4 U website saying it is available with Full Monty). She then identified other tariffs with the best data allowance offering only 1.5GB. The catch was that the handset was ?200. I said thanks but no thanks;

- I then headed into two EE shops. Neither had it in stock nor could they take the order. As desperate as I was to take the 920 home with me today, I gave up and went home;

- Once home, I called T-Mobile. They offered me a white 920 (which I thought was only available for 4G EE tariffs) and a black one for ?49 with the Full Monty tariff. I accepted the deal because even though they said delivery is up to 14 days, I'd rather pay that amount than ?139 or ?200 to P4U (even though P4U are offering a free wireless charger and speaker).

All in all, most frustrating and I hope the phone arrives soon.

There surely hasn't been a more botched phone launch in this country ever!?

mercilesskiller

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
They just called me to say I can pick up the phone tomorrow morning.

I have an O2 SIM and I'm getting it Sim-Free (the black one).

I know my O2 SIM won't work but I'll get an unlock code and see if that solves it. Wish me luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs