The Farce of the Nokia Lumia 920 in the UK

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have nearly gave up and will go with HTC 8S if anything. I wanted: Windows Phone 8 and a Lumia 920. I can't have Lumia 920. Don't see a point in investing in any other stuff. But cheapest way to get Windows Phone 8 is HTC 8S. I will give in :(

You see that's what I'm on about...Nokia HAS completely lost the plot with the 920, they're making it so Exclusive that people are just walking away from it and getting something else!

Well I hope for Nokia's sake that this 'Exclusivity Period' in the UK reaps them tons of sales, because I think once this unknown length of period finally expires that they'll find the majority of Consumers have gone to HTC or even Samsung.

I wonder what Microsoft's Windows Phone Surface will be like when it's released next year??

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Surface Phone is confirmed. I'd only expect them to ship it if Nokia's sales really bomb and HTC doesn't sell a bunch of 8Xes.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Ah ha! I have the newest conspiracy theory... HTC, those evil bastards, have STOLEN every 920 in the UK and are hiding them in a secret base in the middle of a volcano, which is, of course, the carrier's fault and HTC's fault. Otherwise, Nokia's razor-sharp business acumen would be selling millions of 920s right now. :D

ngbbs4a7236e108747.jpg

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I have nearly gave up and will go with HTC 8S if anything. I wanted: Windows Phone 8 and a Lumia 920. I can't have Lumia 920. Don't see a point in investing in any other stuff. But cheapest way to get Windows Phone 8 is HTC 8S. I will give in :(
You're making an assumption that the 8S will be the cheapest way to get WP8 based on its specs, but here's the deal: We know NOTHING of the 8S's pricing or carrier availability. It wasn't even brought up during MS's WP8 announcement on Oct 29. Granted, the 8S probably WILL be the cheapest WP8 to buy, but don't forget that you may find a Black Friday sale or some other discount that allows you to get a fancier phone for much less than you were expecting to pay.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Both HTC phones now have price tags in the UK and at ?239 the 8S is the cheapest entry point for WP8.
I have my doubts about the HTC phones but they have done a much better job making the phones available, release dates and pricing. For the 920 much of this information is on a need to know basis and it seems to be above my pay grade ;).
I've not seen an exclusive before that prevented people buying the phone sim free. The 920 was announced in September without pricing or availability and then people need to wait 2 months for the actual product, as previously commented Apple have this process down perfectly; this is what Nokia should be striving for as the customer satisfaction is appalling.

andrew-in-woking

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I went to EE and Phones4U today and they said that the Lumia 920 will arrive on Tuesday in-store.
Something is definitely "up". I called EE to ask about the 920 and after waiting for about 20 minutes I was told by an operator that it would be a mistake to buy because 4G may not appear in my area for a few months so I should wait until March 2013 before upgrading.

No company would ever put off a sale like this unless something was "up".

I've now ordered one off the EE website. While it now says allow 14 days for delivery, it didn't when I ordered on 1st November.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I went to EE and Phones4U today and they said that the Lumia 920 will arrive on Tuesday in-store.

The store staff are like mushrooms - fed **** and kept in the dark - you might as well as ask the wall. The centre (head office) has told a number of media sources (neowin for example) that it's the 13th at the earliest.

gerraldd

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The store staff are like mushrooms - fed **** and kept in the dark - you might as well as ask the wall. The centre (head office) has told a number of media sources (neowin for example) that it's the 13th at the earliest.

Sadly, I won't be able to check on Tuesday if the 920 will actually be available. The earliest that I can go back on the stores(EE, P4U) is Friday. I'd still give an update if I can get the phone.

karnka

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, I knew there was a screwed up exclusivity on the cards but I assumed there would be a number of ways around it. Having read a couple of threads here I'm no longer convinced. The fact there isn't a Cyan model in the UK also seems stupid.

If I could give Nokia ?500 and have an unlocked Cyan 920 in my hand within a couple of weeks it'd be a done deal.

As it stands it might be an Ativ S for me. Anyone know any shops doing that one in person so I can take a look.

Wolvesblogger

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Nokia are trying to build bridges with consumers and prove they are once again a serious player in the smartphone market. Funny way of showing it.

There partnership with EE has just alienated them further. I was realty excited by WP8 but the launch has been such a mess, I'm going to stick with my Trophy and WP7 till the new year.

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
If I could give Nokia ?500 and have an unlocked Cyan 920 in my hand within a couple of weeks it'd be a done deal.

Don't forget that all SIM-Free Nokia Lumia 920 Smartphones sold during the 'Exclusivity Period' will still be Locked to EE/Orange/T-Mobile...all I want to know is how the **** do you go about getting the Unlock Code 'officially' if you buy it SIM-Free, because the Networks can only provide it if you've got an Account with them surely?

conair346

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
What does any of that have to do with Nokia? Nokia makes the phone. The Carrier puts their software on it alongside the OS, and tests it, and trains their employees on it, and then sells it.
The carriers don't get a chance to ruin the hardware by sticking their bloatware on Windows Phone. Theres only select apps which they can run tests on using the phone emulator, nothing in the same way they used to ruin Symbian or Andriod.

My 2p on this is that blame lies with Nokia and EE. They have conspired to make lots of money off the inflated EE tariffs that have limited reach to most people and infact have measured the market wrong which has instead pushed people to other networks and handsets.
I'd kill for a PureMotionHD+ screen and the polycarbonate unibody but instead I've to settle for the 820. The glossy colours from Nokia are also a non-starter, they'll scratch really easily and defeat the purpose of the colour dye right through the skins.

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Well I have now realised that the only way I can hold on for the NOKIA Lumia 920 in the UK past this 'Exclusivity Period' is to go out and buy a NOKIA Lumia '820' SIM-Free, that way I have almost everything Windows Phone 8 has to offer, with almost all the 920 features, bar a few of them.

NOKIA has gained an extra sale out of this through me, but I can't help and think how many others are just simply going to buy a Windows Phone 8X by HTC instead? (quite a few I think, the majority of which were potential NOKIA Lumia 920 customers).

un hombre

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I think the "official" availability in Europe is the 12th, isn't it? At least it is when the first batch will be available most major countries, from what I read online.

On a side note, I wanted to discuss something with you guys.

I am trying to figure out the logic behind making this available only to EE or whatever the networks are, that create EE.

If I was Nokia, I'd want to sell AS MANY OF THE PHONES AS POSSIBLE.
I don't think I would care if people buy it on contract, or give me cash for the phone as a whole.

I also presume, that EE and other operators are paying Nokia for the exclusivity of this phone on their networks, but does it pay off to Nokia?

I mean, there are many people like me for example, that will not buy this phone in the UK and just import it from continental Europe, like Germany for example.

BUT... There are many people, who will give up and buy different phone OR will not get into a new contract because of this phone for whatever reasons.

This last group is a potential loss of clients for Nokia, isn't it?

Also, shouldn't they focus on putting this phone in as many competitive networks a s possible, so that people could choose the network they want and buy the subsidized phone?

Look at the iPhone now, you can buy it worldwide unlocked or locked to the most popular network, people buy it the way they want and in the network they want. Result? Millions of sold, same story with Galaxy S series. Of course there is much more to the success of those phones, but I don't think they would have been so successfull, if they had been locked to one network in most countries and not unlocked.

And Nokia is loosing the momentum as well, because the first reviews are not so hyper optimistic, so...

Just my thoughts :)

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
This has been a real mess of a launch. Indeed, I walked all around town yesterday and nobody had a clue about when the phone would be out. Such a mute launch it is ridiculous. The former Tmobile shop said they may have after 26th, the former Orange shop said they have a Nokia meeting Monday 5th November so may have some phones next week.

Rang around 9 local P4U stores, some said they were not allowed to sell them until 9th November, most did not have a clue.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree, it's a daft move from Nokia..even assuming they got a massive pay off it's going to hinder adoption of 920 & WP8 as a whole. Something this device was meant to drive.
Nokia clearly do not understand UK market, I wonder if MS had to agree or if it was independent..either way it's stupid.

I convinced a number of Droid friends to move to 920 but now they can only get it on EE they are going to get new droid devices instead :(

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I think there is no logic. Quite a bizarre move in my opinion. Can only reduce the amount they sell. It isn't as if phones for you or ee are even making a big deal about the phones. The staff seemed bewildered about why I would even ask for one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo