The Farce of the Nokia Lumia 920 in the UK

sketchedout

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I have similar issue. 12 months to go on a three contract that I'm happy with. Not the cheapest in the world at ?36 per month but more than enough minutes for me, unltd texts and truly unltd internet. I regularly hit H+ connection when browsing which is nice and quick.

I spoke to Phones4U today and they admitted that where I am in sunny old Weston-super-Mare that unless I hop on a train to be in Bristol in half hour I'm not going to be getting any use out of 4g for a while and even then it's not widespread across Bristol, so pointless trying to coax me out of my contract.

The guy I spoke to still felt that if they had enough they would sell sim free and didn't think there should be problem with it being locked but admitted until they get them in they're not going to be able to tell. Basically when they undo the delivery box it will tell them which units are for contract only and they're pretty sure first batch are likely to be contracts as that is where they make their money.

I've never had to worry about unlocking before so don't really know too much about it. Does any trace of what it was get left behind at all or is it truly clean slate? Has EE been about enough to get unlock codes? (excuse my ignorance)

On a brighter note most places round my way received the 820 today and all stores I spoke to felt that the 920 could be in by Saturday. Deliveries seem to be Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. Here's hoping...however I'm not entirely convinced I'm going to be to get one off contract.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just had a peek on the orange website. Theyve got the lumia 920 down as coming soon but in the small print down the bottom it says that you HAVE to switch to an EE contract when EE goes live and may incur additional charges and contract changes. Looks like going with an orange pay monthly plan wont last for long before your stumoing up the extra each month for an EE plan. Looks like the best thing to do now with the 920 is wait until EE exclusivity ends

o_k_boy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Just had a peek on the orange website. Theyve got the lumia 920 down as coming soon but in the small print down the bottom it says that you HAVE to switch to an EE contract when EE goes live and may incur additional charges and contract changes. Looks like going with an orange pay monthly plan wont last for long before your stumoing up the extra each month for an EE plan. Looks like the best thing to do now with the 920 is wait until EE exclusivity ends
Hmm, depending on how you interpret the small print it might just be referring to the 4G LTE section.

As in, 'if you want the 4G stuff then you'll have to sign up to an EE contract' rather than 'you'll have to sign up to an EE contract no matter what'. It is a bit ambiguous though.

Oh well, one more mystery to delight and entertain us...

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, depending on how you interpret the small print it might just be referring to the 4G LTE section.

As in, 'if you want the 4G stuff then you'll have to sign up to an EE contract' rather than 'you'll have to sign up to an EE contract no matter what'. It is a bit ambiguous though.

Oh well, one more mystery to delight and entertain us...

Just copied from the small print on orange website

Terms and conditions
4G: Subject to coverage. UK only. Pay monthly only. When 4G launches a compatible plan on EE is required. Charges may apply and you?ll have to agree to a new minimum term on EE. Other terms apply. Superfast 4GEE: just how fast your 4G will be depends on a couple of things: where you are and how many other people are using 4G too. Have a quick look at ee.co.uk for more info

DrThete

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Just copied from the small print on orange website

Terms and conditions
4G: Subject to coverage. UK only. Pay monthly only. When 4G launches a compatible plan on EE is required. Charges may apply and you?ll have to agree to a new minimum term on EE. Other terms apply. Superfast 4GEE: just how fast your 4G will be depends on a couple of things: where you are and how many other people are using 4G too. Have a quick look at ee.co.uk for more info

As you can see that small print refers only to 4G service, that to get it you'll need to moved to an EE plan.

I've seen the lists for the Orange and T-Mobile plans - the phone will absolutely be available on Orange and T-Mobile plans with no obligation to move to EE.

Quoting myself from earlier in the thread:

It will be available on the ?36 pcm Full Monty from T-Mobile for a ?49.99 payment up front. On Orange Panther, also ?36 pcm, it will be ?49 up front.

It will be available on lower tariffs also. E.g. a ?26 pcm T-Mobile tariff (specifically 1.5GB data and 100 minutes talk) will be ?150 up front.

All 24 month tariffs.

Phones4U will inevitably have better deals (i.e. free on a T-Mobile Fully Monty or Orange Panther ?36 pcm tariff).

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree with DrThete. Seems you only move if you wish to.

Your contract will be with Orange or T Mobile and to migrate to EE it looks like you must sign a new contract. They can't force you to.

Remember.... Read contracts before signing them ;)

kawadatoshiaki

May 23, 2012
Visit site
On their Facebook page in reply to people complaining about the lack of information, Nokia UK have confirmed the phone has started shipping to the UK and will be appearing in shops from this Friday.

That's great news but remember they also said a week ago that phones would become available in shops from last Friday.

mrcrangle

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Yup, it's a total farce and one that's fast turning me off the 920, and as a long term Nokia user that can't be good news for a beleaguered company trying to increase market share let alone retain existing users. What's totally a wind up are the ludicrous tv adverts of random nubs declaring how great their 920s are when the reality is nobody can get one!

The EE nonsense I could live with...IF I could actually get a shiny yellow Lumia in the first place. As it stands, ?380 for the 8X sounds like the best way forward.

Nokia, you fail. Your phones are late (incompatibility with EE network?), you sign ridiculous exclusivity deals which restrict network and resellers, and you have never 'manned up' and explained what is going on. I hate to say it, but if you end up going under you have nobody but yourselves to blame.

One more week for me and then it's the HTC...

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Prob best to move onto another phone or do what many of us are doing and order from another Euro zone country.
Exclusivity with EE is currently until next year!! :mad::mad:

kawadatoshiaki

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I've got a feeling the other networks will get the handset from January. Obviously, Nokia can't reveal that because they'll be contractually bound because of this exclusivity deal.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Prob best to move onto another phone or do what many of us are doing and order from another Euro zone country.
Exclusivity with EE is currently until next year!! :mad::mad:

Any evidence those guys are actually shipping or they stringing you along simply to get you to order?

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I must have spoken to every member of the P4U workforce. May have missed a cleaning lady, but not sure. This situation is pretty poor customer service. I have had estimates of a few weeks from some. The guy I spoke to in the store today really couldn't be bothered with my questions. He said that they had no idea when the phone is coming in. Then after me firing questions at him he said "they are being launched tomorrow" evidently just wanted me out of the store. I was dying to ask what he meant by "launched" but I could not be bothered with his five.

I threw in a question about Orange and Tmobile, he then pointed to the display sign which gave a breakdown of the colours. It also said some colours were available on 3g and not 4g. I had to ask for more, ever worried that find would fall from his lips. Hey presto, he attempted an explanation. Tired yet intrigued, I asked if there was any difference in the hardware. He really was fumbling all over at this point and to save his dignity I wrapped up the questions. So disappointed with the level of product knowledge from these guys.

P4U did call me a couple of times yesterday, the tried to flog me a 4G ee contract. I explained the reasons why that did not appeal. His tone told me that the penny dropped and he knew he was not going to get a sale. It is at this point in any transaction that you actually get honesty from a salesperson. He went on to tell me that they were encouraged to get as many as possible on to a 4G plan, he said that this was the reason for the lack of info regarding Tmobile and Orange. He also conceded that the prices were a tough sell from his point of view.

On the flip side, I also strolled in to a 3 shop today. The guy was great. He said they had the Nokia people around recently and that they would get the phone, but not yet. He was really pleasant and seemed genuinely eager to get the 920 in. Their plans are light years more competitive than any of the big players.

Right now I would sign to any network that offered the grey one. Can't justify paying full price this close to Christmas.

mrcrangle

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Having a look at Vodafone Germany right now :) Thanks for the heads up. Still, its telling that if this is the lengths you need to go to to get one the phone will not sell well.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
@peachy01 interesting you should mention 3uk. I follow on twitter someone who works for 3. A few days ago he posted a picture of the 920. When someone asked him if it was coming to 3 he replied that he was just working on a project for the New Year.

This could be read any number of ways of course but here's hoping any exclusivity ends on 31 December :)

Gunzta

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Little update for anyone interested. I'm with Tmobile UK, and I was due for my upgrade. Had the upgrade conversation on Saturday with Tmobile, They initially said that they "had" stock of the 920 and it would be with me Tuesday (today) however when the phone didn't arrive, I rang and spoke to disconnection, they told me Nokia have delayed the Tmobile stock (and maybe others). Tmobile are taking pre-orders now for delivery in 2 weeks.

I got the Lumia 920 for ?32 a month (1.5gb data, 900mins and unlimited sms) and a one off payment of ?29.99 for the device.

Just to clarify, I'm staying with a Tmobile UK contract, and I'm not in a 4G area.

Satchef1

May 2, 2012
Visit site
As you can see that small print refers only to 4G service, that to get it you'll need to moved to an EE plan.

Presumably you're right given the alternative interpretation is likely illegal. How exactly would they propose they force you to sign a new contract simply because the handset that they sold/gifted to you six months ago is capable of 4G?

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone thinking of ordering from the states in order to get oen?
Im seriously thinking of trying to get a SIM free cyan 920 from Bestbuy and unlocking it

hovesteve

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Just been in my local EE store. They 'think' Nokia have started delivering to EE and that EE would have them in store and be shipping them this Friday, 9th Nov. Praise the lord!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss