The Farce of the Nokia Lumia 920 in the UK

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
just been in to Wakefield town centre to have a glance at the range of colours. I don't want glossy idealy but I would like to see a red one, so I can be sure.

Didn't find a red one, but saw all the other colours. The guy in the P4U shop (they had yellow and white on display) said that the deal I was offered (see above) is highly unlikely to be achieved, but I had a promise over the phone from P4U, so that is up to them.

The yellow one looked a little too fluorescent yellow for me. The white looks nice, but damn they are grease magnets. Having said that, I anticipate that the white would show them the least of all the gloss colours.

Went in to the ee shops, they had a black one on display in one shop and none on display in the others. The also have a sim free price of ?399, which I thought was good (obviously Orange,Tmobile,ee only).

I spoke to the guy in one of the shops, he asked if I wanted to see a demo model. I felt slightly guilty as I had no intention of buying, but said yes anyway. He brought out a white one. Oh, lord that screen looks good. I had a brief play around with it. Not used a Windows Phone before. Looks so nice. I even took a picture to see what the quality would be like. Looked great on the screen, obviously I would need to blow it up to tell for sure, but looked great.

Last edited:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
?399 for sim free? Pics or it didn't happen. It's not on their site or anything.

I went into my local store today and got my wireless charging plate sticker thing. Glad I did because there's a unique code on these things you have to enter into the nokiafreecharger.com site when it opens up.

I'm also beginning to hear whispers of P4U asking for people's email addresses to email them unlock codes. I haven't been offered one, I was told you either get a refund or keep it and unlock it yourself. :confused:

EDIT: Also I posted a review on the P4U website the other day saying how the phone was great but P4U is advertising these as Sim-Free when they're locked to the EE network. Unsurprisingly I was just emailed to say the review has not met the guidelines of posting and will not be put up on the site. Lol!

un hombre

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So guys, is it possible to buy Lumia 920 in phones4u sim free, without any contract and UNLOCK it somehow? I am tempted to buy one for my use in Ireland, but I suppose it will take a while until it is possible to release sim lock?

Urban Splash

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi

Been to phones4u to start a new 24 month contract on EE. COMPLETE NIGHTMARE!

Went for a white 920, no EE shops had them in. Credit check etc fine.....2 hors later still not sorted. Firstly, they had the wrong SIM cards. Eventually got the right one. Then, system could not connect to the EE network to activate.

Worryingly, not a single member of staff in this massive branch had done an EE contract before. Says quite a bit about EE I think...

Anyway, I left empty handed after I told them to shove it. Would rather do without than sit in there all day on a Sunday.

Phones4u are a disgrace.....I wouldn't even buy a phone charger from them let alone an actual phone contract....

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Damn, I considered taking a picture. I just assumed that would be their price on the web too. I find their website difficult to use on my phone. If I worked in the town centre I would pop back tomorrow. Sadly, I work on the outskirts so can't justify waxing my dinner hour on the task.

Sincerely, ?399 was the price. I was so impressed I went back in on my way back from the P4U store just to check I had read it correctly.

I am sure if anyone is in their local town the price would be the same as it was a printed display notice.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
On another note, the guy in P4U says there was no way I would actually get the ?28.50 deal on the 920. He explained that he could not get even close to that in-store.

Really nice guy though and we talked about phones for a while. In fact all the staff were great in there. They had a white and a black one in stock. There was someone going in to pick one up.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
On another note, the guy in P4U says there was no way I would actually get the ?28.50 deal on the 920. He explained that he could not get even close to that in-store.

From what someone at P4U was telling me, The in-store operation is completely separate from the on-line stuff and they are meant to compete with each other - it makes for a confusing customer experience.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I feel sorry for the instore people, they are rarely able to beat their own internet prices, or those made by call centres. Strikes me as bizarre, and always looks bad to consumers.

naeem151287

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I feel sorry for the instore people, they are rarely able to beat their own internet prices, or those made by call centres. Strikes me as bizarre, and always looks bad to consumers.
I went into two EE stores in Bournemouth today and they said they don't intend to sell the 920 off-contract at all! One store didn't have any stock left and said they expect new stock by Wednesday. I am going to go check it out then.

naeem151287

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not going back past that store, so I can't pet the pics. I didn't ask if they had stock as I wasn't buying.
@peachy001 - Sorry if you felt that I am doubting what you said about the price. I was just letting people know what I experienced today. If they are indeed selling for 399 sim-free in the EE stores, all the stores should probably by the end of this week have the same price. I'll see when I go back later this week.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
No worries, sorry if my reply gave you that impression.

What I mean is, I would like to go get the pic, but I'm busy this week and don't have time. If I worked in the centre of town it would be no problem. I had just assumed it would be countrywide so I didn't bother with a pic. Kicking myself now though. Also slightly concerned about my P4U deal, the guy in the store today said there is no chance the phone centre will honour it.

Jammo

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
@peachy001 - Sorry if you felt that I am doubting what you said about the price. I was just letting people know what I experienced today. If they are indeed selling for 399 sim-free in the EE stores, all the stores should probably by the end of this week have the same price. I'll see when I go back later this week.

From a poster on xda peachy is 100% correct.

They picked up the 920 for ?400 and a ?10 top up plus they had a free wireless charger and headphones.

If you purchased one from phones4u I would take it straight back tomorrow for a refund and pick one up in EE and save yourself money.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12