The Farce of the Nokia Lumia 920 in the UK

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
When I saw it I van confirm it stated on it that it was available on both T Mobile and Orange. But you had to buy the ?10 top up.

jenjen4u

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey, If you lot buy a Lumia 920 from Phones4u please make sure there is a sticker/voucher on the packaging that gives you a code for the free wireless charger, The box of my Lumia 920 was missing this sticker/voucher so had to go back and get it!

farooknaji

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Just went on to the EE website to check out the payg offer as i have a feeling they wont be willing to sell me a lumia 920 on payg in the shops (already experienced phones4u refusing to sell me anything other than contract).

Anyway, the lumia 920 doesnt even feature on the ee online store landing page https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ination:https://shop.ee.co.uk/&token=Y2RlzqWe

All the hassle nokia are putting their potential customers through with this exclusivity and what do they get from their partner? A site half covered with the iphone 5 and the other half not even showing their phone.

I hope they feel sheepish.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
All the hassle nokia are putting their potential customers through with this exclusivity and what do they get from their partner? A site half covered with the iphone 5 and the other half not even showing their phone.

It really is tragic :( I only hope the other networks come on board and sell the **** out of the Lumia 820 and other devices, I don't really mind what people buy but it's more important than ever that more and more of them switch to WP - what's encouraging is that SO many more people are talking to me about it, and recognising my Windows Phone nowadays...

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Funny you mention the lack of a push from the exclusive sellers. I noticed P4U to have Apple everywhere and I had to really dig to get Lumia info. In stores it is little better. very little fuss.

As it happens one of the peopleI spoke to today asked me which colour I wanted, I replied grey. From the look on his face I half expected him to point me in the direction of Roswell. they guy did not even know Nokia made a grey. Towards the end of my conversation with him he actually said that I might as well wait for the grey (I had suggested to him that other companies would get it once the exclusivity period was up with ee and P4U).

I did see a Lumia add on TV the other day though. Not seen it since though.

Did meet a couple of phone shop workers today that knew a little more than usual. One said he used to have the 800 and that the satnav on it was leagues ahead of any other. Another guy actually was aware you could resize the tiles. It was the guy that went and opened the box for me. While we were talking I fumbled around the phone, completely lost but just seeing how it did things and I asked him if he knew much about them or had used one. He said that he was looking forward to having a play, so I offered a go on the one I was holding. It was quite surreal as we appeared to swap roles. He started tinkering with it like I had and then tried doing the tiles. Nice chap.

What Nokia/MS really need to did is the subliminal feature selling. For example, create an app that lets you display those gif type trick things the Lumia does. Do one for Iphone/pad and Android/Facebook/Twitter. Make sure sure you allow those jiggly pictures to be viewed by as many as possible. No need to splurge Nokia or Windows Phone on it. Watch peoples faces when you explain your phone did it and that theirs can't. Make it exclusive to Nokia. I know this might sound like a silly little thing and the example I gave may be nothing more a little gimmicky party trick, but they need to do this for as many features as possible. I say this because when I walk into the shops selling these things or speak to people on the phone I have always known more about the phones than they have. That has to be wrong and Nokia and MS need to get more and more awareness out there.

The whole camera thing could have been so much better too. I swear that not one single person I have spoken to yet instore or on the phone has heard of pureview. I have actually tested this numerous times by trying to tease the name out of them. So bizarre. The video reveal could have been great, they could have trailed various non-Lumia smartphone videos (real ones that show the limits of the competition) and then on the day of revealing said boom, they were the competitors, this is ours. And then gone on to show the same shot captured by the 920 with image stabilisation a plenty.

They could do so much better. I really want them to turn things around and not turn into another Betamax.

Oh, and made the thing AVAILABLE in grey! Exclusivity should have given them ALL the colours. Let the ones late to the party fumble around for the other colours. That way people see all the options for the phones and form a preference. Hey presto, they may build up the kind of longing we have here. They may even consider jumping ship from their current supplier if the colour they want is not available except for going either the ee brands or P4U.

Damn, MS could even have given away some Xbox Live memberships or points or credit for the phone market place or something. Now that would have felt more like a push.

Last edited:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Phopnes4U are really really, really bad for not knowing anything about the product they are selling. When I was getting my 920 the other day there were a few sales people around and I got talking to them about the phone and asking if there was any demand etc. They said they had a lot of demand, to the point where over 20 people had called in on Friday morning about the Lumia 920 - and the scary thing is they literally had no clue what this demand was for. They haven't been trained, I tried to push them in the right direction, saying it's a windows phone and the 920 is fabled for its low light camera and OIS etc but they didn't have a clue.

Carphone Warehouse on the other hand is a completely different experience. I was in there last week summing up the 820 and they were really giving Windows Phones a push. From what I heard they really knew their stuff and how WP8 was more refined than WP7. They were genuinely excited about the platform and wanted to get others interested in it. If only the exclusivity was with CPW. :(

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Phopnes4U are really really, really bad for not knowing anything about the product they are selling. When I was getting my 920 the other day there were a few sales people around and I got talking to them about the phone and asking if there was any demand etc. They said they had a lot of demand, to the point where over 20 people had called in on Friday morning about the Lumia 920 - and the scary thing is they literally had no clue what this demand was for. They haven't been trained, I tried to push them in the right direction, saying it's a windows phone and the 920 is fabled for its low light camera and OIS etc but they didn't have a clue.

Carphone Warehouse on the other hand is a completely different experience. I was in there last week summing up the 820 and they were really giving Windows Phones a push. From what I heard they really knew their stuff and how WP8 was more refined than WP7. They were genuinely excited about the platform and wanted to get others interested in it. If only the exclusivity was with CPW. :(
Exactly, and also the reason that Nokia/MS need to start allowing their selling points to sell themselves. They cannot rely on salesmen to educate the masses. I see they have been using product placement in TV shows (you may have seen the "P" in the corner of the screens as Hollyoaks starts). Great to have the phones in there, but they could do with allowing a shot of the gif gimmick and other items to find their way in. Or provide a load of examples to other sources like FB or Twitter et al, ie kid opens presents on Christmas day, the gif gimick flips between shots between not knowing the present and the delight of said present. (I'm thinking the present could be a grey 920!). I know this may sound silly and it is the spur of the moment example, but man, they have to create awareness of these things.

On another note, I love the Kevin Bacon ad.

simsini

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought I'd add that I also saw the Lumia 920 offered for ?399.99 pay as you go in an EE store, this was in Bromley. I didn't take the plunge, but might go back today and pick one up. :)

Michael Theobald

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyone in the UK having issues with their Microsoft account today? Getting error message 86000107 every time it tries to Sync. Using the 920 in White on EE. P4U, as ever, didn't have a clue.

pezley

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Can also back up the ?399.99 price ( + ?10 top up. )

I asked to buy one but they had no free sell stock and all their stock is for contracts but said they might be getting some today. Will call back after lunch

EDDS

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Just popped into p4u and sorted out my upgrade ready as they didn't have a red in yet of course but I managed to get a ?31 per month contract that includes 400 mins, 750 data, unlimited texts, bt WiFi and no cost for the handset! Which is better than my best offer from orange who wanted ?40 for the handset and p4u via the phone wanted ?200 more.

Now just got to wait for the phone call saying they have them in.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Clove have emailed me to let me know that the white 920 will be arriving tomorrow if anyone wants to try their luck

No idea how unlocked they really are

Hi,

We are pleased to let you know that we will be receiving stock of the SIM-free Nokia Lumia 920 White tomorrow.

Stock will be limited, so please place an order ASAP if you would like to receive one at the earliest possible opportunity. We will begin shipping out orders tomorrow once stock has arrived.

Please visit the following link to place an order for the Lumia 920.

Buy Nokia Lumia 920 | Nokia Lumia Smartphones | Nokia Lumia 920 Accessories

Kind Regards

The Clove Technology Sales Team.

Omega Point

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping they get either Black or Red in soon, actually any colour other than white would do. I'm actually glad Phones4U refused to sell me one now.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I went into 2 of my local EE shops this morning and both of them said they were not offering the 920 sim-free or pay as you go and you can only buy them on contracts. They said this was their store policy and that the 'internet rumours' I'd heard were wrong. The guy told me I should try to find a sim-free version from Nokia who he thinks still sell the phones.

naeem151287

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I went into 2 of my local EE shops this morning and both of them said they were not offering the 920 sim-free or pay as you go and you can only buy them on contracts. They said this was their store policy and that the 'internet rumours' I'd heard were wrong. The guy told me I should try to find a sim-free version from Nokia who he thinks still sell the phones.
That's exactly what I got in Bournemouth. This is such a mess!

rakocool

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly what I got in Bournemouth. This is such a mess!

unlocked from Clove is available now. http://blog.clove.co.uk/2012/11/12/sim-free-nokia-lumia-920-white-arriving-tomorrow/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=sim-free-nokia-lumia-920-white-arriving-tomorrow

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo