I got a Lumia 920 on TMobile USA

zolgi

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I've searched high and low but keep getting different answers, so hopefully someone with phone in hand can tell me if there is support for custom SMS/Alert tones?

Well there has allways been custom alarm sounds but still no for sms. I would like that feature come in windows phone and quick. And sounds for facebook chat and so on...

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
If you were on Verizon...

Then how were you using a Lumia 900?

Inquiring minds want to know! :lol:

I was using it with net 10 prepaid. I've been wanting to switch to windows phone for a while, but the 900 wasn't there yet. With windows phone 8, I'm much more satisfied.

I've searched high and low but keep getting different answers, so hopefully someone with phone in hand can tell me if there is support for custom SMS/Alert tones?

Looks like it's only for ringtones. I tapped on more info and found this.

22110d1352044695-wp_ss_20121104_0002.png

attachment.php

kendric84

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Are we talking about a device given out at the build conference or an unlocked device from a carrier? In an Engadget interview, Steven Elop said they would not be supporting 1700 MHz anywhere.

I think it's more likely that the person with the Rogers 920 ventured into an area where T-Mobile has already re-farmed their 1900 MHz spectrum. Looking at the map, it appears there is some 1900 MHz 3G coverage in Buffalo.

http://airportal.de/

Last edited:

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I can not edit the APN. Are you going with the stock T-Mobile settings?

I have seen brief flashes of H+ but I mainly stay on 3G and E.

Yes I am using the stock settings. You can not edit the stock apns, but you can add a new one. I wasn't able to add the mmsc address because of the dash, so I'm just using the stock apn for now.

Where are you located? All I've seen from my phone is H, but we have really good HSPA coverage here.

Are we talking about a device given out at the build conference or an unlocked device from a carrier? In an Engadget interview, Steven Elop said they would not be supporting 1700 MHz anywhere.

I think it's more likely that the person with the Rogers 920 ventured into an area where T-Mobile has already re-farmed their 1900 MHz spectrum. Looking at the map, it appears there is some 1900 MHz 3G coverage in Buffalo.

Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)

Mine is the dev unit. Its box says that it supports 1700 aws.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)

That doesn't really mean much. I'm in Queens, NY and there have been reports of 3G showing on unlocked iPhones being used on T-Mobile, even in my immediate area, but I've personally still never seen anything but EDGE on mine. I think there are indeed 920s that are supporting 1700. There are a few being sold on Negri Electronics, for instance.

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I think it's more likely that the person with the Rogers 920 ventured into an area where T-Mobile has already re-farmed their 1900 MHz spectrum.

The Rogers 920 supports UMTS on AWS.

Firstly, it says so right on the box.

Secondly, I confirmed it myself. I put my T-Mo SIM card into a device that I know for sure does NOT support AWS UMTS (it happens to be an unlocked int'l Lumia 900). I get only Edge on that device. I then put the SIM into my Rogers 920. I get 3G.

kendric84

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The Rogers 920 supports UMTS on AWS.

Firstly, it says so right on the box.

Secondly, I confirmed it myself. I put my T-Mo SIM card into a device that I know for sure does NOT support AWS UMTS (it happens to be an unlocked int'l Lumia 900). I get only Edge on that device. I then put the SIM into my Rogers 920. I get 3G.

Very excited to hear that! I thought all hope was lost when I watched the Elop interview.

Last edited by a moderator:

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Does this mean I can go ahead and order an unlocked 920 with confidence? I will do it now!

Yes. Do it now! :)

Mine is one of the Rogers preorders. It came factory unlocked out of the box. I suspect that those and the developer ones that were handed out all came from the same batch of "generic" 920s... unlocked and with no radio customizations to lock out certain bands.

I have T-Mobile 3G data (8-9 Mbit download speeds!) and MMS fully working.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
We still don't truly know if the Rogers Lumia 920s are early/developer versions that give the AWS support, or they will be the official ones Rogers will be getting from here on out. The Rogers website does not show the 920, and as it has been reported, only some stores got very few in stock. So it just leads me to think those might be some developer/extras sent out, and the real ones might possibly be different.

Granted I hope that's not the case though.

nMIK-3

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
First some clarification:

E= 2G EDGE, 3G= Regular 3G, H=HSPA+, (what T-Mobile USA is calling 4G), 4G LTE = 4G LTE.

T-Mobile 3G has theoretical speeds of ~7Mbps, HSPA+ has theoretical speeds of ~42Mbps and T-Mobile's upcoming 4G LTE will have theoretical speeds of ~100Mbps.

I am assuming that you did your speed test when on H right? Lumia 920 has two H icons, H and H+ ??

Second the awesome news that nobody is discussing yet is that, not only Lumia 920 is capable of delivering LTE at 100Mbps right out of the box but this Developer model (and the Rogers model) supporting LTE frequencies at 1700/2100.

These are the frequencies T-Mobile is launching its 100Mbps Network next year, meaning that this phone will be able to work with T-Mobiles LTE immediately as soon as they turn it on! On top of that that, these are also the frequencies that Metro PCS is already running its LTE network right now, also meaning that once the merger is complete wherever Metro PCS has LTE, it will become T-Mobile's LTE as well and this Lumia 920 WILL be able to work on!

AWESOME!!

Last edited:

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
We still don't truly know if the Rogers Lumia 920s are early/developer versions that give the AWS support, or they will be the official ones Rogers will be getting from here on out. The Rogers website does not show the 920, and as it has been reported, only some stores got very few in stock. So it just leads me to think those might be some developer/extras sent out, and the real ones might possibly be different.

Granted I hope that's not the case though.

Good points. My personal theory is that because Rogers' exclusivity period is only 1 month (according to various leaks/rumors floating around on the interwebs) versus the 6 months that AT&T is getting...that it wasn't economically viable to create a firmware-restricted version that turned off AWS for the Canadian variant since it would very soon be sold through other providers (like WIND, for instance).

The hardware between all of the North American versions is the same as they all sport the same "PYAA" FCC ID code which was tested with AWS frequencies so any omissions of certain 3G bands would have to be a firmware lock and not a chipset/SOC issue.

Anyway..like I said..it's just a theory.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Quick update. I just broke 10Mbps on H (not H+), and my mms is now fully working.

I didn't change anything. I'm guessing my port completed and that fixed the mms issues I had.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786