I got a Lumia 920 on TMobile USA

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi, new to the forum.
I plan on buying an AT&T unlocked Lumia 920 to use with my T-Mobile SIM.
I confirmed with AT&T sales rep that if I buy the phone with no commitment, they can unlock it.
However, can anyone confirm that the Lumia 920 can get 2G, 3G, or 4G on T-mobile?

thanks in advance for the help

Unless someone can confirm that AT&T version can be upgraded that enable the frequencies for T-Mobile, even if it said unlocked, you won't be able to pick up HSDPA on T-Mobile. Or you could buy it right now and wait for T-Mobile to completely refarm their network and open the LTE network. The refarm might not be done by the end of this year and the LTE will come late in 2013 so it could be a long wait.

Chinocop

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi, new to the forum.
I plan on buying an AT&T unlocked Lumia 920 to use with my T-Mobile SIM.
I confirmed with AT&T sales rep that if I buy the phone with no commitment, they can unlock it.
However, can anyone confirm that the Lumia 920 can get 2G, 3G, or 4G on T-mobile?

thanks in advance for the help

Is this from a corporate store or affiliated store?

GZAZ

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Unless someone can confirm that AT&T version can be upgraded that enable the frequencies for T-Mobile, even if it said unlocked, you won't be able to pick up HSDPA on T-Mobile. Or you could buy it right now and wait for T-Mobile to completely refarm their network and open the LTE network. The refarm might not be done by the end of this year and the LTE will come late in 2013 so it could be a long wait.

Thanks for the feedback. Just to confirm, you're saying that with the refarm, we might get 3G in some places, but 2G otherwise and LTE probably by end of 2013?

I called the AT&T sales line and they told me they could unlock it at the store or call a 1800 number to unlock it.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Is there any chance that the phones Rogers sold early on (the ones in limited quantity) were for testing purposes or developer devices and so that's why they might have had the pentaband capability? It would also explain why they were unlocked off the bat.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
All the sites that list unlocked Lumia 920 from OEM have changed the frequency also. I don't know if those data from these sellers are mapped from the global website or they just changed it as the same time. The only left is Roger, but I went to Nokia CA and they did not list any GSM or WCDMA beside the LTE. I hope someone can clarify this because we don't want to buy these if we cannot use these properly despite that is a beautiful device.

P/s: Pulled up the history of Nokia Global webpage, look like they cut off a lot of LTE frequencies. Don't know why they did that.

That doesn't surprise me, to be honest. The unlocked versions are almost certainly the european spec phones, which were not tested by the FCC with AWS (1700/2100) and they have a separate FCC ID from the north-american model. The north-american model is FCC ID "PYAA" and was tested on AWS and thus it is enabled on the Rogers phones and the Dev Kit phones.

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. Just to confirm, you're saying that with the refarm, we might get 3G in some places, but 2G otherwise and LTE probably by end of 2013?

I called the AT&T sales line and they told me they could unlock it at the store or call a 1800 number to unlock it.

A SlickDeals thread about this said you can pre-order the device with plan. Then contact AT&T to cancel the plan. After receiving your device, contact them again for unlocked code. I don't see anything wrong with it because you actually pay the price for the device and you don't support to stay with them.

About the different version, we really not know for sure which one is pentaband. Some people had device early, but those device might not really a production device after all, like dev phone. On the other hand, Roger not even has any device in-stock or show any page for customers to order, so it just likes AT&T, hold off for some reason. Since when Lumia was announced, those specs have changed a lot. As far as I can tell, I am sure that these devices are capable of pentaband, but like some Symbian model, Nokia can have firmware that disable the band it does need.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Well it's only a matter of days now before posters here get their hands on AT&T 920s and we will find out then what the situation is with AWS frequencies.

Hoping for the best!

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Well it's only a matter of days now before posters here get their hands on AT&T 920s and we will find out then what the situation is with AWS frequencies.

Hoping for the best!

Call the website that some posted about the cheap Lumia 920 pre-order price (Welectronics). They said they don't know for sure if the device is gonna support T-Mobile or what version of the 920. However, they are really sure that the device will hit their store on Friday. So my guess is to wait until Friday to confirm :(.

chuey101

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
dev phone = Rogers?

another proud member of the dev phone on tmo group.

interesting tidbit, if you go to extras+info this is how the phone is described

RM-820_nam_canada_246

I think the rogers phone and dev phones are one and the same!

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Someone said over SlickDeals as this phone will be freaking cheap as 350 when Amazon releases it and of course, it is unlocked. Now we just need to wait until Friday as least to see any confirm about the band and versions, then if some one need to buy it cheap, they could wait until Christmas to get it :D.

hfcas

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
too good to be true :(
Someone said over SlickDeals as this phone will be freaking cheap as 350 when Amazon releases it and of course, it is unlocked. Now we just need to wait until Friday as least to see any confirm about the band and versions, then if some one need to buy it cheap, they could wait until Christmas to get it :D.

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
too good to be true :(

AT&T sell it for $449 so after a month or so, especially holiday season, it could go lower than that. It is possible. However, unless Nokia want to do that to get more people with Lumia, I don't really expect that price since we don't really for sure if that phone from Amazon will be pentaband like all of us are hoping for or not.

dumeng

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping 449$ price is for unlocked device, wanna use that lumia 920 in indonesia >.<

I hope one of u can confirm that at&t can unlock the device for off contract device..

strider2

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

By then it would be like buying a lumia 900 ;)
by then Lumia 930 or whatever new version would have arrived...
lol..just saying..it will be a really long wait...
this is basically AT&T arm twisting and making people sign up their network if anyone wants a lumia 920 and working full speed

strider2

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
another proud member of the dev phone on tmo group.

interesting tidbit, if you go to extras+info this is how the phone is described

RM-820_nam_canada_246

I think the rogers phone and dev phones are one and the same!

I feel happy for you and envy you at the same time..lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)