I got a Lumia 920 on TMobile USA

johnbrim

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I unlocked my Rogers Lumia 920 (for $50 bucks) via rogers customer support as I wanted to use the phone on the Telus Network.
I inserted my new Telus micro sim, powered the phone, entered the unlock code, and I was logging!
The first thing I wanted to do was make my first official phone call (to my wife) then de-virginize my phone by running my first Telus LTE speedtest.
To my surprise...Voice/text worked, but data was failing. Error: 'Network functions are not enabled on this cellular network" - or something.
To fix....all I did was change the APN and MMS apn settings like so:
*** Cellular Settings ***
Data Connection: on
Data Roaming Options: don't roam
Highest Connection Speed:LTE
Network Selection: TELUS

***Internet apn settings ***
APN: ips.telus.net
User name: -
Password: -
Proxy server (URL): 74.49.0.18
Proxy Port: 80
IP Type: IPv4

*** MMS apn Settings ***
APN: ips.telus.net
User name: -
Password: -
WAP Gateway: -
WAP Gateway port: -
MMSC (URL): http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mmsc
MMSC Port: 80
Maximum MMS Size: 80
IP Type: IPv4

That said, my data now works on the Telus network and myspeed test resulted in 3.2Mbps Download and 2.6Mbps Upload. I know this can be improved so perhaps someone may know if there is limitation with Ipv4 vs. Ipv6/v4 or something else that is restricting speeds. I live in Vancouver BC and I have had this phone since November 14th.. it set me back 549.00+10.00+50.00+Tax, but since this is an Early xmas gift to my self so it was completely worth it!.

nMIK-3

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I preordered the Grey Lumia 920 from gsmnation.com. They tell me they'll have stock late this week or early next week with the 1700 band intact. I'm going to try it with my TMobile SIM. Hopefully all goes well.
Any updates of that?? Especially on the 1700 support?

jrjr488

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Ihave a developers phone on t mobile and just got an updTe to the access point settings . Before I had the option of t mobile or another apn setting. Now the options are t mobile apn or t mobile ipv6. Whats t mobile ipv6? Which one should I use? I have experimented with both and its been tough to tell the difference. Any help or advice would be great.

CB Gardner

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
ETA has now been pushed to 2 weeks when I was expecting it to ship my Wednesday (tomorrow). That's for the colors, but they do have black in stock. They are still telling me the 1700 band is intact and the phone will work on TMobile.

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I just got my hands on a Lumia 920 developer build.

The phone idles at "3G". Once there's data, it jumps to "H+". I see this when using IE.
Phone settings: Highest connection speed = 4G, Network selection = automatic, Access point = T-Mobile (active, default, no manual APN added).
MMS (for pictures, at least) works fine with default settings above.

Everything is working fine so far except for tethering. I downloaded and installed the Spanish keyboard. That restarted the phone and installed some updates. I can turn on "internet sharing" and my clients can connect to it just fine.

There is a big problem: The client's (another phone) browser is redirecting all Internet traffic to offers.t-mobile.com, which is asking me to buy the $14.99/month Smartphone Mobile Hotspot. It's rather ridiculous and costs almost as much as my "unlimited" 2GB for $20. My old Lumia 710 internet sharing works fine, and it's always "4G". All of my clients (phone and laptop) can connect to it and use the Internet with the 710.

How can I get Internet Sharing to NOT redirect to the tmobile website? I'm thinking Tmobile is doing this because the 920 can actually connect to HSDPA 42Mbps whereas the 710 is limited to HSDPA 14.4Mbps. This is just a guess.

Summary on Tmobile USA:

Lumia 710
- always 4G
- any phone or laptop can use the Internet Sharing feature

Lumia 920 dev build
- idle on 3G, goes to H+ when data is used
- Internet Sharing can be turned on, but it redirects all client from phones to add hotspot option
- for laptop tethering (non-phone devices), I just get a "Limited" connection error. There's no Internet.

Last edited:

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Where are you guys getting your Dev units?
Believe it or not, I got mine from Craigslist for $550. It was a pretty great price for dev version. Apparently, the guy uses Verizon, so the 920 was not very useful for him. It's fully functional, and it's running on Tmobile right now. I just need to get tethering to work.

silverc230

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to Kouki and all of the early 920 Dev model users on T-Mobile. I am now the proud owner of a 920 Dev model working great on T-Mobile. I know that Kouki had posted once that visual voicemail was working. Has anyone else had success with this on T-Mobile? Everytime I try to turn it on, it says it won't work. That and tethering are my only issues but I am going to try to download the Spanish keyboard now. Thanks for the help.

Kacey Green

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
For my dev unit the only thing that needed tweaking was highest connection speed, also couldn't tell the difference with that and ipV6 except some connections didn't work. (guess ipv4 only sites and services were to blame)

visual voicemail was working right away (had it on my HD7 & Lumia 710 but don't actually use it since I have Google voice) internet sharing wasn't tried before downloading and uninstalling the Korean quick keyboard

strider2

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Anyone had luck in making this 920 work on T-mobile using a AT&T 920 Phone?
Not Dev or Rogers Phones but AT&T Phones....
Heck I can even find a site which will unlock the AT&T Phone.

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Anyone had luck in making this 920 work on T-mobile using a AT&T 920 Phone?
Not Dev or Rogers Phones but AT&T Phones....
Heck I can even find a site which will unlock the AT&T Phone.
AT&T will be voice and EDGE (2G) speed only. I would try, but my current TMo Venue Pro is a normal SIM, not micro.

strider2

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
AT&T will be voice and EDGE (2G) speed only. I would try, but my current TMo Venue Pro is a normal SIM, not micro.

Yodies, I am prepared for Edge Speeds. I already purchased the Locked AT&T Phone with this knowledge and prepared for this (Hoping for the re-farm)
But I cant unlock the AT&T Phone. Also I dont know if anyone tried using an AT&T Phone on T-Mobile
I guess both go together hand-in-hand as Unless you unlock, you cant use it on t-mobile
thanks

Asleeper2

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand the Dev and unlocked Roger's L920's work fine on T-mobile USA's 3G/4G and HSPA network and on ATT the data speeds will be 2G/EDGE? Likewise, from what I understand the ATT L920 can't be unlocked as of yet but if anyone has done it wiill it work on T-mobile's 3G/4G networks?

I just spoke with Roger's but they won't ship it to a non-Canadian address. However, they said you can go into a retail store and buy one so for those of you in the states near the border........The cost is $549+tax and $50 to unlock it. That doesn't sound all that bad when compared the $800+ they are going for on ebay.

Last edited:

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand the Dev and unlocked Roger's L920's work fine on T-mobile USA's 3G/4G and HSPA network and on ATT the data speeds will be 2G/EDGE? Likewise, from what I understand the ATT L920 can't be unlocked as of yet but if anyone has done it wiill it work on T-mobile's 3G/4G networks?

I just spoke with Roger's but they won't ship it to a non-Canadian address. However, they said you can go into a retail store and buy one so for those of you in the states near the border........The cost is $549+tax and $50 to unlock it. That doesn't sound all that bad when compared the $800+ they are going for on ebay.

I'm not sure about Rogers, but the Dev edition does work on T-Mobile's 3G network. On AT&T, I don't know. If you somehow manage to unlock an AT&T 920, it will run on T-Mobile's EDGE speeds unless you're in an area where T-Mobile has refarmed their 1900 MHz bands.

I have relatives in Canada that could buy the phone for me if I sent them the money, and then ship it to me. But the fact that Rogers only offers black is turning me away from this option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs