I got a Lumia 920 on TMobile USA

Asleeper2

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if they have refarmed their network in my area (Washington DC metro). However, I picked up a T-mobile sim card earlier today in order test the service and I have no problems connecting on their 3G network with my nokia n8.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if they have refarmed their network in my area (Washington DC metro). However, I picked up a T-mobile sim card earlier today in order test the service and I have no problems connecting on their 3G network with my nokia n8.
N8 is pentaband with 1700Mhz support. :)

Asleeper2

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
N8 is pentaband with 1700Mhz support. :)

I just checked that a little while ago and yes, the N8 has 3G 1700Mhz. I just got off the phone with t-mobile and they didn't know which frecuency is used in my area. I guess we'll have to wait until more unlocked versions of the L920 make it here......or someone figures out how to unlock the ATT L920

mapleleafs89

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I just tested my lumia 920 that i picked up from rogers on the 30th of october and it seems to work on wind mobile which is the same as t mobile yes?
Yes it is. But first of all, you have the rogers one which has been confirmed when unlocked will work on 1700 mhz frequency, second you were lucky enough to get the first batch from Rogers (pre Nov 12) and that batch came unlocked - however all recent ones from Rogers are locked (though can be unlocked from rogers for $50 and some can be unlocked from 3rd party for less)

strider2

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Either way, I did not hear a single case where someone had successfully unlocked AT&T Lumia 920 and used it on T-Mobile.
Still waiting ;(

slotti

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
x2....or if someone
has tried an unlocked international version on either network.
I tapped into my connections at Nokia Germany in Dusseldorf. The international version will not work on the 1700 MHz band. Nokia produces only 2 hardware models of the phone (aside from some unconfirmed special Asian models). The European (sometimes also considered to be international version), and the North American Version which supports the 1700 MHz band. I asked my contact specifically about the ATT version and the answer I received was that there is only one version for the American market. The European version has the RM-821 ROM and the NA version runs on the RM-820 rom. Whether it is locked or unlock has nothing to do with the rom. The sim-lock is added on top of the main rom.
Thus said, the ATT version will most likely work on the 1700 MHZ band, but, I also asked my contact about sim locks by ATT and though she did not know much about it, since she is not responsible for the NA market, she mentioned that the sim-locks on all Windows Phones are almost impossible to break, unless the provider starts issuing them. Nokia supposedly cannot even take that lock of themselves (at least not in an easily accessible procedure ;-)).
Bottom line, I don't think we will see any unlocked ATT phones within the next 5 months. The international version sold online is not capable to run on the 1700 Mhz band, so if you need the 1700 Mhz band (are not in a reframed area), your only choice is Rogers for now.
I'd love to be proven wrong on this (since I really want the phone on T-Mob), but I have a feeling there is not much to be proven wrong about ;-)

strider2

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I tapped into my connections at Nokia Germany in Dusseldorf. The international version will not work on the 1700 MHz band. Nokia produces only 2 hardware models of the phone (aside from some unconfirmed special Asian models). The European (sometimes also considered to be international version), and the North American Version which supports the 1700 MHz band. I asked my contact specifically about the ATT version and the answer I received was that there is only one version for the American market. The European version has the RM-821 ROM and the NA version runs on the RM-820 rom. Whether it is locked or unlock has nothing to do with the rom. The sim-lock is added on top of the main rom.
Thus said, the ATT version will most likely work on the 1700 MHZ band, but, I also asked my contact about sim locks by ATT and though she did not know much about it, since she is not responsible for the NA market, she mentioned that the sim-locks on all Windows Phones are almost impossible to break, unless the provider starts issuing them. Nokia supposedly cannot even take that lock of themselves (at least not in an easily accessible procedure ;-)).
Bottom line, I don't think we will see any unlocked ATT phones within the next 5 months. The international version sold online is not capable to run on the 1700 Mhz band, so if you need the 1700 Mhz band (are not in a reframed area), your only choice is Rogers for now.
I'd love to be proven wrong on this (since I really want the phone on T-Mob), but I have a feeling there is not much to be proven wrong about ;-)

Thanks for your inputs but this is Bad News ;(

slotti

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
It's actually not all that bad. This simply means that once ATT issues unlock codes, the ATT model will work on T-Mob 1700. Yes , it will be 5+ months, but you can always get a Rogers version of the phone. Would I want it differently, yes, but maybe I just have to dish out the money for this phone at full price.

Rack0

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Assuming you are willing to pay full price, is there actually a place you can buy the 920 unlocked with the 1700 band? Besides Rogers?

Last edited:

slotti

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Negri supposedly has the unlocked Rogers version. But once contacted, they told me that they do not have stock yet, and thus cannot confirm if it will be unlocked. Otherwise, the answer for now is NO. We'll have to wait till it hits the South American Market (if it ever does). I got my wife's Lumia 710 from Brazil.

strider2

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

On another Note, if what you said is true..I assume, the RM-820 NA Version is the same for Rogers and AT&T. (both are NA Market)
Only difference currently is that Rogers version is Unlocked and hence we are able to test it on T-Mobile or 1700 Band.
If in the future, AT&T version is Unlocked by a 3rd party source, since it is the same ROM as Rogers, it should also be able to work on T-Mobile.
We as of now, we can only wait till April-2013 (Hoping the exclusivity ends by then) and unlock codes are available.
I already purchased the AT&T 920 Phone and in my case, I cant do anything other than wait and use my old HTC phone in the interim.
Thanks.

justsimpleinfo

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if there will be a version for T Mobile, and if so....... if it will be the same or added features. 6 Months is pretty old in cell phone time isn't it?

Isn't the CES between now and April 2013? So Nokia could make some announcement with a new phone......

Like the one poster said, I want to give Nokia my money but they won't take it.

Or will it be like the Galaxy note 1, when TMo got it, then not too long later and updated Galaxy note 2 was launched on Tmo.

slotti

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
More importantly for Nokia than the CES will be the CeBit in Germany (March 5-9). This is where they traditionally show of their new phones.

Onyx Z32

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's actually not all that bad. This simply means that once ATT issues unlock codes, the ATT model will work on T-Mob 1700. Yes , it will be 5+ months, but you can always get a Rogers version of the phone...

Yeah I don't know about that... Take this for what it's worth; I have a Dev 920 which worked on AWS 1700. Then it was flashed to AT&T which disabled the AWS 1700. Then it was flashed to Rogers which you'd think would bring back the AWS 1700 but it did not. I cannot flash it back to Dev firmware because Nokia doesn't have it available.

It seems AT&T firmware cripples the AWS 1700 permanently somehow. And the Dev phones are RM-820 which are North American phones.

Mantikos

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Any luck trying to get MMS to work?
I have tried the settings and can't get the sucker to send or recieve MMS (using Dev Unlocked on TMo US)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss