11-07-2012 01:46 AM
148 12345 ...
tools
    Unless they plan to overnight all preorders I think anyone waiting to preorder this phone that is supposed to be available in 5 days is wasting their time. Might as well just go with the 8X, that's available to buy right? ;)
    If you're too impatient to wait for the better phone, then sure.

I'm not.
    11-04-2012 02:19 PM
    Yeah, I'm going to abandon the phone that's #1 on my list because 1 less sale out of millions will really hurt Nokia and prove a princple. :lol:

You guys are ridiculous. Calm down.
    Nokia can't afford to lose any sells.
    11-04-2012 02:20 PM
    Nokia can't afford to lose any sells.
    oh please.. do you know what Nokia patent portfolio looks like? They could literally stop everything this moment, and live off those for decades.
    TenTwelve likes this.
    11-04-2012 02:23 PM
    That's all fine and well but, it has been released to public already in select markets. Your argument doesn't stand.
    How does it not stand? please explain.
    11-04-2012 02:26 PM
    How does it not stand? please explain.
    Obviously they are not waiting to perfect anything if it's already been released into the wild regardless of how limited that release was.
    11-04-2012 02:39 PM
    The reason people are getting upset is this whole situation is turning into a tease. I could make a lot of references to some not very PG terms used for situations involving teasing and its effects...needless to say it's not pretty.

Apple and Google announce their devices and know when it will be ready and how much it should cost. You work these things out and get all your ducks in a row.

The comment that they're fixing bugs is a good one, but I would point out you damn well better have the bugs worked out BEFORE you announce a device to people. I work for a very small software company and even we get that right on our new updates to our software.

As for the "wait patiently" comments - I HAVE been waiting patiently. It's within my reasonable reactions to get upset that I have to continue to wait. I'm not suggesting that we jump off the deep end and go buy other phones, or that we fly to Finland and torch Nokia's offices like some people around here seem to want to do. Just that I feel it's ok to be upset at AT&T over this launch and the fact that they won't announce anything about it. Especially when given their normal launch cycles they take pre-orders a week in advance meaning we probably are seeing ANOTHER delay in this launch.

Unless, as vagrantwade said, they've decided to forego the pre-orders all together.
    TenTwelve and Ebaneeezor like this.
    11-04-2012 02:49 PM
    Also keep in mind those of us pissed about waiting, are in the vast minority of cell phone buyers. 99% of the people who consider buying the phone will never know about these launch problems.
    11-04-2012 02:51 PM
    Good point firewall
    oh please.. do you know what Nokia patent portfolio looks like? They could literally stop everything this moment, and live off those for decades.
    They will be eaten alive by its investors.
    aubreyq likes this.
    Obviously they are not waiting to perfect anything if it's already been released into the wild regardless of how limited that release was.

true, good point.
    TenTwelve likes this.
    11-04-2012 02:52 PM
    They will be eaten alive by its investors.
    what does stock value have to do with patent royalties?
    11-04-2012 02:54 PM
    If you're too impatient to wait for the better phone, then sure.

I'm not.

Did you miss the sarky tone re the 8X?
    11-04-2012 02:55 PM
    Also keep in mind those of us pissed about waiting, are in the vast minority of cell phone buyers. 99% of the people who consider buying the phone will never know about these launch problems.
    Too true. Out of my entire circle of friends, family and even acquaintances I'm the only person in that group of people that even gives a care about the launch of the 920.
    aubreyq likes this.
    11-04-2012 02:58 PM
    Do you know what Nokia's financials look like? They need to sell every phone they can as they are hemorrhaging cash.

Nokia Corporation (ADR): NYSE:NOK quotes & news - Google Finance

Key stats and ratios
    Q3 (Sep '12) 2011
    Net profit margin -13.03% -3.85%
    Operating margin -7.96% -2.78%
    EBITD margin - 1.26%
    Return on average assets -12.38% -3.95%
    Return on average equity -46.11% -8.87%

Earnings Scorecard: Nokia Corp. - Analyst Blog - NASDAQ.com

Third Quarter Recap

On October 18, Nokia reported its third-quarter 2012 financial results. Quarterly net loss was approximately $1,180 million or 33 cents per share compared with a net loss of $189 million or 3 cents per share in the prior-year quarter. However, on an adjusted basis (excluding special items), the loss came in at 9 cents per share, narrower than the Zacks Consensus Estimate of a loss of 12 cents.
    11-04-2012 02:59 PM
    I have a bad feeling about the phone now. If they were running ads showing off the phone and building hype I'd understand, but they are not.

The only people who know about this phone are us geeks. Something must be wrong. Think I'll let you guys beta test it for me. I'll just stick to my L900 until Dec 13th.
    aubreyq likes this.
    11-04-2012 02:59 PM
    I am anxious to get the phone. I am very curious why AT&T is holding up the phone. I am sure there is some business reason. It would be interesting to know why they are waiting. Maybe they are wait for sufficient quantities.
    11-04-2012 03:04 PM
    what does stock value have to do with patent royalties?
    Well, nobody buys a stock because they have existing patent royalties alone. Just because that could be enough money to keep the doors open doesn't mean it will grow the business. The majority of investors don't look for a place to put their money so that it will stay even over the course of months or years. They want somewhere to put their money that's going to take that money and grow it and then either yield dividends or increase stock value. And the 'get rich quick' in the stock market idea is NOT the dividends strategy.
    11-04-2012 03:05 PM
    I bet it has something to do with the poor camera performance.
    11-04-2012 03:05 PM
    I doubt you have ever run a business as successful as Nokia or that you have done 1/10 what Stephen Elop has professionally, so just have a seat and calm down. It's just a phone. It will be released when it's time. Probably within a week based on most rumors.
    Yeah...he's done a real bang up job for Nokia... (Insert heavy sarcasm here)
    11-04-2012 03:10 PM
    I went to the AT&T site and did a chat with an agent. She says she has not been given a pre order date for the 920. Even if she could not tell me, I think if the pre order date was today, she would have heard.
    11-04-2012 03:12 PM
    Well, nobody buys a stock because they have existing patent royalties alone. Just because that could be enough money to keep the doors open doesn't mean it will grow the business. The majority of investors don't look for a place to put their money so that it will stay even over the course of months or years. They want somewhere to put their money that's going to take that money and grow it and then either yield dividends or increase stock value. And the 'get rich quick' in the stock market idea is NOT the dividends strategy.
    I know why, I was commenting on the effects of a zero value stock on patent revenues. Point is there stock can be a pink slip and it wouldn't matter on patent revenues and would not cause them to shut the door. Most analyst claim the nok stock is junk already. (on a side note, I still think Elop is a MS Trojan horse, acting to devalue the stock so MS can purchase them)
    firewall2302 likes this.
    11-04-2012 03:16 PM
    someone at a msft store told me last week that they were going to start training this week.

whatever, itll be here when its here. att and msft have never said a word about any date at all. probably best to stop getting mad when they fail to meet release dates that they never published.
    11-04-2012 03:16 PM
    Just so I don't confuse fellow wpcentral members. I do not agree with the 920 "beta" launch either, and to some degree am disappointed with the attempt from att, Nokia, and MS. I'm simply injecting another perspective to the conversation as i make my final decision on what to buy next. There is always 2 sides to a coin.
    aubreyq likes this.
    11-04-2012 03:23 PM
    its a very good point to remember that the att website front page has been showing "coming soon" for a week now for ALL wp8 phones, not just Nokia...so it is Att that's holding this up now, no?
    11-04-2012 03:28 PM
    someone at a msft store told me last week that they were going to start training this week.

whatever, itll be here when its here. att and msft have never said a word about any date at all. probably best to stop getting mad when they fail to meet release dates that they never published.
    Can I be mad at them for telling me at a launch of a device that it's the next phone I should get and now, 2 months later, I still don't know WHEN I can get that new device? :D
    TenTwelve and aubreyq like this.
    11-04-2012 03:29 PM
148 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD