Current owners: Do inline headphone controls work when phone is locked?

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
So this is an issue on the Lumia 900, even with Nokia Purity Headphones. If the screen is locked, the pause/play/next/previous controls don't work or only work sporadically. Everything works fine when the screen is on or the phone is unlocked.

Can anyone confirm that this is fixed and that they can use inline controls when the phone is locked and the screen is off?

Thanks

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I just tried it with some old apple earbuds. I can play and pause with the screen off. Volume up and down do not work. Just paused and resumed 5 times in a row. No issues.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
We need someone to try this with a 3 button headset that works with wp7/8. Most of the 3 button units out there are designed to work with apple, so skip forward/back isn't going to work at all. That said, the fact that the apple headset paused and played with the screen off is a good sign I think.

I'm planning on getting a 920 on launch day, so I'll reply to this thread with an answer asap, unless someone can do it sooner.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
We need someone to try this with a 3 button headset that works with wp7/8. Most of the 3 button units out there are designed to work with apple, so skip forward/back isn't going to work at all. That said, the fact that the apple headset paused and played with the screen off is a good sign I think.

I'm planning on getting a 920 on launch day, so I'll reply to this thread with an answer asap, unless someone can do it sooner.

Great. I appreciate this. It's a deciding factor on whether or not I buy this phone.

If you could also comment on gapless music playback that would be really appreciated as well.

The Lumia 900 was unfortunately 0/2 on these 2 factors, which are quite important to me

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Great. I appreciate this. It's a deciding factor on whether or not I buy this phone.

If you could also comment on gapless music playback that would be really appreciated as well.

The Lumia 900 was unfortunately 0/2 on these 2 factors, which are quite important to me

I don't see anything about gapless playback in the music settings, maybe I'm not looking in the right place though.

I also have some samsung galaxy headphones at home. I will try it tonight after work.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't see anything about gapless playback in the music settings, maybe I'm not looking in the right place though.

I also have some samsung galaxy headphones at home. I will try it tonight after work.

It's not so much a music setting as it should be automatic. If you listen to a album where songs fade in/out and connect to each other (e.g. live music, Pink Floyd, etc.) there shouldn't be an audible gap. Zunes and iPods/iPhones do this. WP7 did not.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site

Looking forward to your experience. Do you happen to have the Nokia purity headphones?

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
So this is an issue on the Lumia 900, even with Nokia Purity Headphones. If the screen is locked, the pause/play/next/previous controls don't work or only work sporadically. Everything works fine when the screen is on or the phone is unlocked.

Can anyone confirm that this is fixed and that they can use inline controls when the phone is locked and the screen is off?

Thanks

Which Purity HD headset do you own I own Purity HD WH-930 which doesn't have Rewind and Farword Controls it only has pause, + and - controls

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Wh-920. Even so, you should have volume up/down and a center button. Double tap center button should be skip forward, triple tap should be skip back

thanks for the information. Even in my case it doesn't work well when the screen is locked. At locked screen its all the matter of luck sometimes the pause key works sometimes it doesn't sometimes it work on double tap, sometimes it skips the song on double tap.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the information. Even in my case it doesn't work well when the screen is locked. At locked screen its all the matter of luck sometimes the pause key works sometimes it doesn't sometimes it work on double tap, sometimes it skips the song on double tap.

Yep, that's the issue all of us have.

Seems to be Nokia-specific as it works on my Focus at least. Very frustrating

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I haven't had enough time to do extensive testing, I usually only use headphones on the way to and from work.

However, in the few minutes I was playing around with it, it does seem more responsive if you do it while music is running. One time when I had music paused, it didn't respond to the button press to unpause it, but I haven't been able to duplicate that yet.

So I would say so far, much better than the 900, but I can't say for sure if it's perfect.

I'm testing with a Phonak PFE-122 headset, which is a single-button headset.

goldie_rt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
The completely unwearable headphones from my HTC HD7S work for volume, pause/play, and skip forward when the phone is locked (and active). I can't skip backwards at all, but I can activate & use voice control (when the phone is active).

But...never, under any circumstances, should you attempt to wear these headphones, they are not designed for human ears.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans