Lumia 920 and non-Nokia Charging Pads

mcmikel

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree I would not just put my phone down on any QI pad unless it meets the QI standard specification. I downloaded the PDF and gave it to my friend to make sure the specs match.

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree I would not just put my phone down on any QI pad unless it meets the QI standard specification. I downloaded the PDF and gave it to my friend to make sure the specs match.

You meant wireless/inductive pad because a QI pad does meet the QI specs.

mcmikel

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Xsever - Yes you are right, thanks for the correction... Was typing on my phone and multi-tasking.

Because the battery is "fixed" battery maintenance is a must for this phone. Hence the reason for my concern about how many mA and a constant 5V charging my phone.

Here is a ton of battery info from other users on the WPcentral forum

Overview:
How USB charging works, or how to avoid blowing up your smartphone | ExtremeTech

Way too much info:
Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

pdf from Philips about how QI works:
http://www2.fhi.nl/vermogenselektronica/archief/2010/images/philips-wirelesspowerstandard-d.van_wageningen.pdf

So far I am loving this China version QI charging pad. Works great and seem to charge the phone quite fast. The output is 5 V at 1000mA which is 50% less than the HTC wall chargers I use to use for my HTC EVO 3D (2000mA). I measured the mA on the Nokia wall charger and it is outputting 1000 mA at 5V which is exactly what this charging pad outputs.

The charging pad also has a feature to go into stand by once it detects the phone has reached 99%. Instead of a flashing blue light to indicate the pad is charging, it just goes solid blue.

mcmikel

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
So just a little update. I ordered a case for my Nokia Lumia 920 off eBay from a seller in Hong Kong and it only took 5 days to receive it, nice!

Having my phone in the case (leather case), I am still able to use the wireless charging pad. The case gets a little warm but it still charges. Very interesting...

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
@mcmikel what case and charger are you using i just bought a screen protector and am looking for a case that will still allow me to charge it. Also need a spare charger for the desk at work.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I had a buddy who just returned from Hong Kong pick me up some generic wireless charging pads with the QI standard and they work great.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t485/mcmikelw/charger.jpg

Wow, those actually LOOK very nice too. That's not something I can say about any of the other chargers I have seen. What did this cost, if you don't mind? I find something that looks the same, but they are $50 on eBay. At that point I would rather just buy the Nokia and KNOW what I am getting and have support if it ever fails.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I got my free pad from Nokia, but looking for others to place in home/work/would love car one....and going to Hong Kong for work in January. I hope to do some shopping :)

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I had a buddy who just returned from Hong Kong pick me up some generic wireless charging pads with the QI standard and they work great.

I have been using it for a day now, testing the charge rate and the phone charges about 10% for every 20 minutes. The minutes are an approximant as I am at work trying to monitor it and sometimes I get distracted. I will try to confirm the numbers in the next few days. The charging pads were $20 each and I had him buy me 3 (for use at work and home). The phone and charging pad get a little warm to the touch which is to be expected and the charger has an auto shut off once the phone indicates it is fully charged. Manual was in English by the way.

Pic below of everything it came with

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t485/mcmikelw/charger.jpg

I've seen these online while looking for an alternative to the Nokia charging plate, but I was a bit suspicious because they were from Hong Kong and I wasn't confident that it would be a quality product. I'll keep it in mind now, though!

zokstar

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
im really interested in getting a few too, but not willing to pay $40+ for each.

Please keep the thread up to date guys with your finidngs!

mcmikel

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Update on the charging pad... Still no issues. Works great! I have one in my bedroom, one in the living room and one at work. Once the phone is fully charged, the pad lets out a low level single beep to indicate that it is not charging anymore. The phone chargers much faster on the charging pad than the wall adapter (although I have only used the wall adapter twice as the phone is always living on the charging pad.

I am heading to Korea tonight and while there, I will see if there are any QI standard charging adapters that are inexpensive. The electronics in Korea are not worth buying as they are overpriced but I have found that the accessories are quite a bit lower than the states. I will report back

agadgetgeek

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Update on the charging pad... Still no issues. Works great! I have one in my bedroom, one in the living room and one at work. Once the phone is fully charged, the pad lets out a low level single beep to indicate that it is not charging anymore. The phone chargers much faster on the charging pad than the wall adapter (although I have only used the wall adapter twice as the phone is always living on the charging pad.

I am heading to Korea tonight and while there, I will see if there are any QI standard charging adapters that are inexpensive. The electronics in Korea are not worth buying as they are overpriced but I have found that the accessories are quite a bit lower than the states. I will report back

Please keep us posted on this. Thanks!

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
So just a little update. I ordered a case for my Nokia Lumia 920 off eBay from a seller in Hong Kong and it only took 5 days to receive it, nice!

Having my phone in the case (leather case), I am still able to use the wireless charging pad. The case gets a little warm but it still charges. Very interesting...
How is that possible?! Everything I ordered from HK or China takes around 3-4 weeks at least to arrive -_-

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb