Nokia Confirms Daylight Fix Coming for Lumia 920 Camera

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad you think so often (and so fondly) of me, VacantWade.

Obviously, Nokia is just extending it's unbeatably awesome "coming soon" strategy from its rollout to its technology platforms, due to popular demand.

When will I get the DSLR quality that Nokia promised? Not today... but coming soon with an update! :D

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not in the spin room. I'm just like Beetlejuice. When invoked, I appear for my adoring fans. :D

(On a slightly more serious note, one can only wonder what the reaction would be if HTC promised great sound with Beats, delivered muddy poor-quality sound, and then said "we'll fix it soon with a firmware update." Do you think it would be pitched by The Usual Suspects as Good News for HTC?) ;)

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully the update will make the 920 camera unquestionably better than anything else beside the 808. At least better than the iPhone and the androids.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
With HTC I can see people hesitating because they don't have a history of fixing problems. They'd just come out with a new model without the problem.

At least Nokia has a solid record of servicing their user base.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
This exactly. HTC would not even acknowledge the problem and most probably never fix it.

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Riiiiiiiiiight.

The company that is launching with a known-defective camera and promising a fix at a future date is more trustworthy than the company launching with a phone that's been confirmed flawless by reviewers.

Goodness me. My ears are blushing from the gall of it! :D

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Why can't they get this **** straight before launching the device?

Nokia's livelihood as an ongoing business essentially depends on the success of this device, yet they continue to flub everything about it.

I'm just completely disappointed. If this is their best effort, then they deserve to go under. Kudos for Microsoft for having a backup plan.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I think it's great that Nokia has acknowledged a problem and promised a fix, but seems like if the camera is the big selling point they would have tested it and fixed the problem before releasing the phone to the public.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Riiiiiiiiiight.

The company that is launching with a known-defective camera and promising a fix at a future date is more trustworthy than the company launching with a phone that's been confirmed flawless by reviewers.

Goodness me. My ears are blushing from the gall of it! :D

Defective camera? Being a little over dramatic there.

The camera is great as-is. But people want it to be in the conversation as the "best" for all environments.

So Nokia is going to update it to improve it in the areas where it's not as strong as the iPhone.

That's a far cry from "defective."

Defective would be the sound quality and reception on something like the HTC Titan.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think it's great that Nokia has acknowledged a problem and promised a fix, but seems like if the camera is the big selling point they would have tested it and fixed the problem before releasing the phone to the public.

The "problem" is that it isn't the BEST in full daylight.

It's not like it's a bad camera.

It totally kicks everyone else's butt in low light.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The camera is broken -- otherwise it wouldn't need a "fix."

To be serious for a rare moment, it's just more evidence of how badly this launch has been executed. Easily the most incompetent tech launch since the Osborne II. Launch a phone differentiated almost entirely by its camera, then concede in public that the camera doesn't perform well in daylight but "a fix is coming."

Yeesh.

Oh, and boys -- if you don't want me winding you up, don't drop my name in public ;)

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The camera is broken -- otherwise it wouldn't need a "fix."

To be serious for a rare moment, it's just more evidence of how badly this launch has been executed. Easily the most incompetent tech launch since the Osborne II. Launch a phone differentiated almost entirely by its camera, then concede in public that the camera doesn't perform well in daylight but "a fix is coming."

Yeesh.

Oh, and boys -- if you don't want me winding you up, don't drop my name in public ;)

Don't worry I still have the thread bookmarked where you said T-Mobile would get the devices before AT&T.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The "problem" is that it isn't the BEST in full daylight.

It's not like it's a bad camera.

It totally kicks everyone else's butt in low light.
Of course it's not a bad camera at all and I would love to have that phone, but with the pureview name and all the hype regarding the camera it should be the best in daylight too. No way the iPhone should be better.

Cellus13

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Well weren't the phones we've seen up to now prototypes? I assumed that what the problem was since Nokia has been handing out test units.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb