Nokia Confirms Daylight Fix Coming for Lumia 920 Camera

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
With HTC I can see people hesitating because they don't have a history of fixing problems. They'd just come out with a new model without the problem.

At least Nokia has a solid record of servicing their user base.

Correction - they would come out with a new model with ANOTHER problem :)

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. Check out this sweet video that shows the Optical Image Stabilization on the 8X/iPhone5 and GS3;

Video-Not-Found_sm.jpg

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Of course it's not a bad camera at all and I would love to have that phone, but with the pureview name and all the hype regarding the camera it should be the best in daylight too. No way the iPhone should be better.

It's the phone I'm getting, so I want it to beat other cameras in every scenario too.

I just don't agree that it's "defective" as it is.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Never have I heard people so giddy about receiving known bad software. At least a fix is coming. Hope it doesn't take as long as it has taken them to fix the Lumia 900 low level light problems.
Riiiiiiiiiight.

The company that is launching with a known-defective camera and promising a fix at a future date is more trustworthy than the company launching with a phone that's been confirmed flawless by reviewers.

Goodness me. My ears are blushing from the gall of it! :D

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Worked mighty fine today when I was using it, so what's this talk about defective camera?

Watch out for random lasers that might vaporize the subjects of your pictures.

I heard it only happens .01% of the time though, so you should be pretty safe.

But just in case, don't let other people use your camera to take pictures of YOU.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Nope, there's no problem. It's just a forums joke. Even though Nokia said a fix was on the way for the problem. Even though most reviews have knocked it. Good to see Nokia jumping on those non-issues.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I guess they just need to tweak it. In the end this must mean they either rushed this 920 a little or weren't very detailed on testing. Regardless, this isn't a huge deal and will be addressed so that part indeed is good news.

keizka

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Nope, there's no problem. It's just a forums joke. Even though Nokia said a fix was on the way for the problem. Even though most reviews have knocked it. Good to see Nokia jumping on those non-issues.
Software issue hardware defective does not make, does it? If it can take pictures, I take them pictures, though the quality isn't on auto settings quite up to par.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Obviously Nokia sees this as a problem. They want to have better picture quality in bright light. Has anyone denied that?

However, the current camera is not "defective." The "fix" is going to be rolled out to try to be more competetive against other high quality products, not to repair something that's broken.

I don't really see what's so hard to understand.

bmarsden

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
...if HTC promised great sound with Beats, delivered muddy poor-quality sound, and then said "we'll fix it soon with a firmware update."

I think that's a pretty lousy comparison...the pictures aren't total garbage, they could just some improvement in highly lit areas.

lg89

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Why can't they get this **** straight before launching the device?

Nokia's livelihood as an ongoing business essentially depends on the success of this device, yet they continue to flub everything about it.

I'm just completely disappointed. If this is their best effort, then they deserve to go under. Kudos for Microsoft for having a backup plan.
Hey, no one said Apple deserves to fail simply because it has had to polish its products post release. (And as a user of iOS, I can attest to that).

Another way to see it is that it takes more than one or even two product cycles to recover from obsolescence. Time is a limiting factor here, and if you don't have enough time to polish your product, it's better to release a product that you can polish along its lifespan rather than lose another product cycle.

A lot of people are going to complain that Nokia has already had 2+ product cycles to catch up, but given how much it's bleeding money, and how they chose a platform that itself was under a strict deadline to catch up to competitors, I'm not entirely surprised that there are still kinks. Keep in mind how ambitious Nokia has been. It decided to bring an entirely new camera technology, when its closest competitor on this platform (HTC) merely decided to transplant a camera technology they had perfected in a different platform. So long as there's no problem with the hardware itself, I don't mind patches and updates to refine feature points.

Let's put things in perspective here after all. What Nokia has tried to do in two product cycle, its competitors have had the pleasure of doing in twice that amount of time. All said and done, I've personally found Nokia deserving of another lifeline and some benefit of the doubt. If they need to polish their product a bit post release so be it. After all Nokia has had a strong history of supporting their products throughout their life cycle.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Why can't they get this **** straight before launching the device?

Nokia's livelihood as an ongoing business essentially depends on the success of this device, yet they continue to flub everything about it.

I'm just completely disappointed. If this is their best effort, then they deserve to go under. Kudos for Microsoft for having a backup plan.

They are trying to.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I just don't get those who revel in any mistake that Nokia makes. On the flip side I am just as perturbed by the HTC sucks crowd. Personally I am excited that finally we windows phone users will have some exciting hardware to choose from. I would love to get the Nokia 920 but fear the switch to AT&T. If I and up with an 8X that's fine also. My HTC Trophy has served me well.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I hear Baghdad Bob is working in Nokia PR now.

"Software problems? Firmware problems? NONSENSE! The HTC invaders are throwing themselves against the gates of Espoo, where they are dashing their brains out! The fix will be in the coming months and the camera will finish off all who oppose us!" :D

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I just don't get those who revel in any mistake that Nokia makes. On the flip side I am just as perturbed by the HTC sucks crowd. Personally I am excited that finally we windows phone users will have some exciting hardware to choose from. I would love to get the Nokia 920 but fear the switch to AT&T. If I and up with an 8X that's fine also. My HTC Trophy has served me well.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Sometimes I envy the iPhone crowd for not having to put up with all of the BS that goes on about which manufacturer makes the better phone. Hopefully Microsoft will come out with a Surface phone, sooner rather than later, to quiet down some of the nonsense.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I hear Baghdad Bob is working in Nokia PR now.

"Software problems? Firmware problems? NONSENSE! The HTC invaders are throwing themselves against the gates of Espoo, where they are dashing their brains out! The fix will be in the coming months and the camera will finish off all who oppose us!" :D

So, when is the fix for HTC's low light photos coming?

How could they ship a "defective" camera like that?

:p

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Wait a minute, I thought Nokia told us that the beta test was over. Another lie from this overrated Nokia outfit.

The Beta test was over was for the 900 device. Though in their defense, Microsoft is the one that screw them up by the lack of an update. I remember how furious the Nokia representative was, you could see it in his face lol.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
(On a slightly more serious note, one can only wonder what the reaction would be if HTC promised great sound with Beats, delivered muddy poor-quality sound, and then said "we'll fix it soon with a firmware update." Do you think it would be pitched by The Usual Suspects as Good News for HTC?) ;)

Possibly. Given HTC's history of fixing problems, personally I'd be wary, but at the same time I'd be amazed that they got off their butt to do something about it. Can't speak for the rest of who you're referring to.

Riiiiiiiiiight.

The company that is launching with a known-defective camera and promising a fix at a future date is more trustworthy than the company launching with a phone that's been confirmed flawless by reviewers.

It is more trustworthy given the history of the companies. Nokia has been fully committed since they entered back in with Windows Phone. Look at how promptly they acknowledged the firmware issues of the 900 and compare that to HTC. Have you looked at their support forums? Yeah they aren't as transparent or responsive.

The camera is broken -- otherwise it wouldn't need a "fix."
Oh, and boys -- if you don't want me winding you up, don't drop my name in public ;)

For me you provide mild laughs in the manner in which you seem to fit your stereotype. :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786