The Achilles Heel of the L920: Weight - Is it that important?

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
It does seem that the weight is the main issue that is reflected across the reviews, from the extreme end of Gizmodo whose author proclaimed that it's just too damn heavy, to the more moderate end of the Inquirer who said that the weight grows on to be a reassuring feeling.

I am under no illusions that the L920 is heavy by modern smartphone standards. My question is this: Is it that important?

My personal opinion? It appears that the modern smartphone must be thin much like fashion models. I do like a more reassuring feeling on my hand, as is the L900, but I don't know about the majority. Hence the poll.

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Lumia 920 a week ago when it first launched here in Canada from Rogers.

To be honest, the total time I spent thinking about the weight is 1 minute and that is because the phone's shape, with the curved glass, really makes the phone fits very well in the hand. I can reach all corners with ease using one hand.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case with the GS3 I tried which was very light yet very big in terms of screen size.

Honestly, the biggest problem to me would be to not be able to reach the phone's corners with one hand compared to 180g. I mean come on let's be real here!!

The 920's curved back is really something of great comfort and once again, unless you plant the "weight phobia" in your mind, you'll forget about it in a minute or so.

Again, if Jessica Alba has no problem using one, every single man that complains about the 920's weight, especially if he didn't handle the phone yet, needs to go _______ (Fill the blank the way you want.)

nano321

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Lumia 920 a week ago when it first launched here in Canada from Rogers.

To be honest, the total time I spent thinking about the weight is 1 minute and that is because the phone's shape, with the curved glass, really makes the phone fits very well in the hand. I can reach all corners with ease using one hand.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case with the GS3 I tried which was very light yet very big in terms of screen size.

Honestly, the biggest problem to me would be to not be able to reach the phone's corners with one hand compared to 180g. I mean come on let's be real here!!

The 920's curved back is really something of great comfort and once again, unless you plant the "weight phobia" in your mind, you'll forget about it in a minute or so.

Again, if Jessica Alba has no problem using one, every single man that complains about the 920's weight, especially if he didn't handle the phone yet, needs to go _______ (Fill the blank the way you want.)
Thanks for sharing your experience. I think it is rather defensive of iSheeps bloggers to talk about weight of Lumia 920.
Reasons.
They are scared of Lumia 920.
They couldn't find any other con.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The dimensions and weight of the 920 are pretty similar to my HDC HD7. I've got an otterbox case on it, so its bigger, and heavier than the 920.

I don't have a problem with the size or weight of the phone. Nor does the missus, and my 2 year old son quite happily plays with my phone. He has no problem lifting it, holding it for as long as he wants.

I can definitely see how people would find the 920 large compared to an iPhone, but i really do think its being blown completely out of proportion.

Just look at the pictures of Jessica whatshername holding the 920. Its not as if she's holding an 80s house brick of a phone.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Winterfang, depends where you are coming from. For example, I use optimus 7 myself, just like you. Wasn't a negative first impression at all. Familiar, more like.

Exactly, the all metal Optimus 7 is a heavy phone so it shouldn't be that much of a problem. But for those that came from light phones like the One S or compare it to the Iphone 5 then it is by all means a brick.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm more concerned about the physical size than the weight. I put my phone in my jeans or shorts' front pocket. I've been noticing that jeans front pockets are not being made as long (i.e. deep) as they used to, for whatever reason. With shorts, I'm cool, but when I wear jeans I'll have to get a holster, maybe? Noooooooooo!! BTW, I don't like to use the back pocket.

XSever, what can you tell us? Where do you keep your 920 when you're walking around?

jenjen4u

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Weight of it is not a problem for me especially when it means youll be holding a beautiful phone! Also when I do some baking and the recipe tells me to add 200g butter i often think "is that it?"... so the Nokia Lumia 920 being 185g really isnt that big of a deal for me.

Also I have a camera Canon s100 which is a really nice point and shoot camera with Optical Image Stabalizer, 14mp, and weighs at 198g (including battery and memory card). My Canon isnt heavy at all! I really think all these people crying about weight need to grow up! My Canon only takes pictures and videos yet weighs MORE than the Lumia 920 which takes pics, videos and is a smartphone at the same time but Lighter!

The only problem in my opinion is that Lumia 920 will not fit in my pockets comfortably BUT this is the perfect excuse for me to buy a cute purse/clutch/bag to go with my Lumia 920!

doublesman3486

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Weight wont have an effect on me using the main user experience on the device which is the screen and camera. Its always good to have a little weight on a device as it always gives it that extra chance to survive a good fall.

When the iphone 5 came out i went to the AT&T store and held it in my hand, its definitely too light and it will surely break in half if you sat on it while its in your back pocket. So definitely for me, a little bit of weight is not a problem

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not thrilled with the weight or the size of the 920, but it's not enough of a difference to be an issue at all considering all the phones other attributes.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The poll options were a bit hard to understand in relation to the question, but I suppose answerin Nay means that I'm not bothered by the weight. In fact I think it's a plus.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes because carrying it could rupture your achilles heal.

All kidding aside, only a couple years ago when samsung phones were getting popular, people were complaining about the light weight of the phone and how it felt like a toy, ok fast forward to now with a heftier phone and now the general complaint is out it is heavy now. cant have both ways?

To me, when the complaints about the samsung phones whether android or wp7, i didnt understand the complaint, i would rather have a lighter and thinner phone, but i guess most people didnt. I would compare cell phones to laptops, people wanted lighter and thinner, so the compalints about cells phones being thinner and lighter was surprising.

With that said, i am more annoyed by the size of the phone itsself than the weight, it is like a 5 inch phone, i wish there was less bezel and more screen.

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I currently have 2 phones in my pocket. The HTC Arrive and the myTouch 4g Slide.

Granted both are sliding keyboard phones, but just look at the weight.

T-Mobile myTouch 4G Slide specs
HTC Arrive specs

I'm fitting both of these on 1 normal Levi's jean pocket. I sometimes freak out thinking one isn't there.

People complaining about the weight is incredibly stupid, it's not even funny.

(don't judge me and my 2 random phones I carry on me)

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
its friggin ouces for christ sake ppl (hamburgers weigh more then this) - besides, as its been pointed out time and time again, the iphone typically gets put in a Otterbox due to it being frail, add that weight and thickness up see what you get. Lumia 920 can be used without a case, and who wants to cover up that phone in the first place! This weight argument is really dumb.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte