I'm a current iPhone user on Verizon and i'm ready to take the leap into WP8 with the Lumia 920.

Here's my idea and I wonder if this is actually possible.

1) I want to buy the Lumia on Friday on AT&T and keep my Verizon line for now without porting over my current number. I want to do this as a hedge for a few reasons (A. I have an ETF of $150 B. in case I don't like the phone or AT&T service I don't want to relinquish that $150 just yet. I'd rather just pay for another month of service at Verizon C. I really like the Samsung phone and in case that overshadows the Lumia I'd simply be able to then upgrade to that on Verizon with no ETF and still get the subsidized price. I'd then simply sell my Lumia on ebay.)

2) Assuming I love the Lumia and want to eventually make that my primary phone is there a way to swap phone numbers between my iPhone and the Lumia after a month or so? Would I have to cancel my Verizon iPhone service first before that phone number is "released"?
    11-06-2012 09:27 AM
    I'm a current iPhone user on Verizon and i'm ready to take the leap into WP8 with the Lumia 920.

Here's my idea and I wonder if this is actually possible.

1) I want to buy the Lumia on Friday on AT&T and keep my Verizon line for now without porting over my current number. I want to do this as a hedge for a few reasons (A. I have an ETF of $150 B. in case I don't like the phone or AT&T service I don't want to relinquish that $150 just yet. I'd rather just pay for another month of service at Verizon C. I really like the Samsung phone and in case that overshadows the Lumia I'd simply be able to then upgrade to that on Verizon with no ETF and still get the subsidized price. I'd then simply sell my Lumia on ebay.)

2) Assuming I love the Lumia and want to eventually make that my primary phone is there a way to swap phone numbers between my iPhone and the Lumia after a month or so? Would I have to cancel my Verizon iPhone service first before that phone number is "released"?
    You can do a number port/transfer later. You don't have to do it at the start of your line of service.

DO NOT cancel your service with Verizon. Once you do that, your number is gone and cannot be retrieved. When you start the number transfer process with AT&T, they automatically notify Verizon and Verizon will give up the number and cancel your account.
    11-06-2012 09:29 AM
    I did this same thing except to get a new phone and to merge my account with my wife's. I was told by AT&T you have 14 days to make the switch.

I ended up keeping the new number and porting my old number to Google Voice because I liked the ability to block certain numbers easily, plus I can text from any tablet or computer as well for free
    11-07-2012 03:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD