So anyone wondering why Nokia did exclusivity deals

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So I can have a Lumia 920 with free charge pad and an AT&T account with 10 GB of data and unlimited text/talk for a two-year all-in cost of $3,699 (plus tax), or a T-Mobile Windows Phone 8X with unlimited everything (and no data cap) for a two-year all-in cost of $1,878 (plus tax).

With the $1,821 I save going with T-Mobile, I can purchase all of the following:

1) An unlocked Lumia 920 with charge pad;
2) An X-Box 360 with two controllers;
3) A 45-inch SuperLED color HDTV;
4) One year of high-speed internet access...

And still get unlimited HSPA+42 that AT&T can't sell you at any price.

It doesn't seem like the consumer benefits much from "exclusivity" to me...

Consumers don're really benefit with carriers that get practically no reception where they live, work, or travel either.

T-Mo might be great for you. But it would be a horrible choice for me.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
So I can have a Lumia 920 with free charge pad and an AT&T account with 10 GB of data and unlimited text/talk for a two-year all-in cost of $3,699 (plus tax), or a T-Mobile Windows Phone 8X with unlimited everything (and no data cap) for a two-year all-in cost of $1,878 (plus tax).

With the $1,821 I save going with T-Mobile, I can purchase all of the following:

And for people without T-Mobile or at least high speed t-mobile in their region, this means absolutely nothing to them.

zolgi

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I know nothing about the European phone market so no comment. But now in the US the 920 is 1/3 of the price of the 32gb iPhone 5 on contract.
In Finland, EVERY phone is ALLWAYS 0?. You pay only maybe 10?/15?/20?/month. It's weird you have to pay before you can get the phone.

keizka

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
In Finland, EVERY phone is ALLWAYS 0€. You pay only maybe 10€/15€/20€/month. It's weird you have to pay before you can get the phone.
Aand whatever plan you want attached to it. Generally less than 50€/month, though. I'd guess average is around 35€/month? That is, both for the phone and for the plan.

Last edited:

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Where are you seeing a 10GB data plan on AT&T? Highest I know of is 5GB.

Your math seems off. I say this because I shopped around before deciding to leave Sprint a few weeks back. T-Mobile's "unlimited 4G blah de blah" is $89/month. Says so here: Unlimited Data | Our New Unlimited Data Plan | T-Mobile

AT&T gives me 450 minutes ($40) and 3GB of Data ($30), and then lets me pay $.20/text. I usually get less than 100 messages a month, so it makes no sense to pay $20 for unlimited texting.

That puts my bill at just a little less than T-Mobile, plus I get LTE all over the place instead of HSPA+ 42 only in the biggest metro areas. I also get a bigger corporate discount through my job for AT&T (21 percent) than I do for T-Mobile (15 percent).

My data may be capped, but I have wi-fi at home, at work, plus I can use lots of AT&T wifi on the go. I don't see myself hitting the cap anytime soon, even though I can stream whatever I want virtually when I want. I much prefer downloading files from Zune Pass/Xbox Music to have locally, regardless.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I never understood all the T-Mobile claims to be such a deal. I look into it every year or 2 the last time being a month or so ago and it's never been more $25 a month less for my family plan of 5 phones. 3 of which have unlimited data so there's noway I'm switching in the near future. I've always had great luck and service with AT&T as I'm sure many have since they have more than a few customers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99