vibration motor rattling?

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the link, but that has nothing to do with the Lumia 920. I could really care less about the iPhone.

While it is about the iphone, it also provides some context regarding different types of vibration motors that are found in mobile devices, why they are chosen, and what that means for everyday use. It doesn't explicitly mention the Lumia 920 but it is germane to this discussion.

eallan

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the link, but that has nothing to do with the Lumia 920. I could really care less about the iPhone.

It has plenty to do with the Lumia. The link describes the two type of vibration motors manufacturers use in cell phones today. One is much harsher than the other and people may not be familiar with it.

corsica

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It has plenty to do with the Lumia. The link describes the two type of vibration motors manufacturers use in cell phones today. One is much harsher than the other and people may not be familiar with it.

still, according to that article, the iPhone4 had the same type of vibration motor as the 5, and it did absolutley not sound anything like what came out of that Lumia at my store.

My 3 year old feature phone also has the standard rotational vibration motor, and it doesn't sound like that either. And that's technology from 3 years ago.

I still want to get a Lumia 920, and I most definitely will, but if it sounds anything like what I've describes, it'll go straight back to Amazon. I'd rather wait even longer (perhaps on the next-gen Lumias or the Surface phone) or maybe see If Android or iOS (under Ive on UI design) become better than to own a phone that makes me cringe every time I get a text.

It's the little things that count, too.

Last edited:

pocketfox

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Bought a 920 today and it made a horrible racket when vibrating, which sounds super cheap and is embarrassing when in a meeting. Returned the phone.

JGtz

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded an app called "vibeMassage FREE" to test the vibration. The vibration is fine if prolonged, but if the vibration is short or has a staggered pattern, there is a weird noise at the beginning of the vibration after each vibration.

The app has several patterns to try out. The one called "Skippy" displays the problem best.

Perhaps a fix can be to instead of powering up the vibrating motor to full speed in milliseconds, fade in the vibration to a full second or so and make the vibration last another second to avoid the start-up rattle.

PBNkapamilya

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
That vibration "rattle" is found in almost every Nokia device sold. I have a Nokia 3110c, and it sort of rattles when it vibrates. I actually kind of like it, it's like it's own ringtone in itself. Get used to it, guys :)

laserfloyd

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded an app called "vibeMassage FREE" to test the vibration. The vibration is fine if prolonged, but if the vibration is short or has a staggered pattern, there is a weird noise at the beginning of the vibration after each vibration.

The app has several patterns to try out. The one called "Skippy" displays the problem best.

Perhaps a fix can be to instead of powering up the vibrating motor to full speed in milliseconds, fade in the vibration to a full second or so and make the vibration last another second to avoid the start-up rattle.

I was thinking the same thing. Tweak the software to spin the motor up gradually over a second vs full power out of the gate. I like the intensity but the initial sound is jarring and a bit frightening. Freaks my cat out. :D

I've gotten a bit used to it but I might still try to exchange it since it seems that some units don't do it. With all the R&D that went into such a sexy device you'd think they would find a better way for it to vibrate. lol

That is my only complaint though. :)

sudakoma

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
This is not really a problem in my eyes, just slightly annoying and despite what some say, it not normal for a Nokia. Hopefully a future update can improve things by changing the powering up of the motor as suggested by JGtz.

h4ck3d

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I find it quite weird that your purchase decision on the Lumia 920 rested solely on the vibrate :|

I was about to say the same thing, Ive had my 920 since it came out friday, and I kind of like how it sounds, Its different.

And to the person who said its embaressing, its not even close to as embaressing as most ringtones/notification sounds peope put on there phones....

and Its not like the phone is cheap or not built well, Its a very solid phone, so dont let the vibration negitivity turn you away from this phone.

Plus $449 out of contract...This phone is worth way more then that...

jsgiv

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
very sad right now. Seems like I won't be getting a 920 after all.

Seriously? It's not that bad...

I had the iPhone 4s with the "new" or "better" linear motor in it and it actually drove me nuts because I typically keep my phone in my pocket with vibration on, and I couldn't feel it at all when someone tried calling me (9 times out of ten - I'd miss the call and have to call them back).

The 3GS had the rotational motor - and you could actually feel it.. same with the L920. Yes - it makes a bit of noise - but it also gets your attention - which is kind of the point IMHO.

The only complaint I would have is a to find a way to adjust the type of vibration (current a short/long pattern) - I'd rather have just a single repeating long pattern (which also might would cut down some on the "rattle").

madgalaxy

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Seriously? It's not that bad...

My yellow 920 is on order - but in the case of the 900 some were worse than others. In my case it was the camera lens that was rattling on the 900. I exchanged it twice and the same issue on both so I ended up getting a Titan2. When I originally brought it up to the ATT rep, hers DID NOT have a bad rattle. If I could have turned off the capacitive vibrate I would have kept it. It seemed worse in apps (i.e. Evernote) hitting the back button was like having a little gong in my hands!

Fingers crossed my 920 will not be too bad. It is such an awesome phone, I will probably just deal with it! :D

Last edited:

corsica

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I find it quite weird that your purchase decision on the Lumia 920 rested solely on the vibrate :|

it didn't. I didn't even dream about that until I got it in my hand in the store.
There are a ton of things going for the 920, but if this is considered normal, I'd rather pass.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro