Buying No Commitment 920

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I am not an AT&T customer, and I went online to purchase a 920 at the $449 price, and it said that I needed to add a plan. I am planning on getting my service through Net10, and just want the phone. Is it not possible to buy the phone by itself?

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
not through ATT.

ATT is off CONTRACT, but not unlocked. It is the price you pay if you were not eligible for an upgrade, or did not want to commit for 2 years. The phone itself is only functional with ATT however.

Im not aware if ATT shares the same antenna with Net10 either. You would need to look for an unlocked phone, presumably something international, that covers whatever band net10 uses.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
not through ATT.

ATT is off CONTRACT, but not unlocked. It is the price you pay if you were not eligible for an upgrade, or did not want to commit for 2 years. The phone itself is only functional with ATT however.

Im not aware if ATT shares the same antenna with Net10 either. You would need to look for an unlocked phone, presumably something international, that covers whatever band net10 uses.

It is my understanding that Net10 uses AT&T towers, like StraightTalk does, therefore the AT&T sim card works on those MVNO's.

I my be misunderstanding things though.

thawkth

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
You're correct

MLM,

You're right about NET10/Straight Talk working on locked ATT devices. To my knowledge, everything should just work fine!

I also noticed ATT's website requiring a line be added (and activation fee be paid!)

Bah!

I'm also on Net10 (ATT Sim) and on impulse was about to buy a 920 and overnight it.
But Device + Taxes + Activation Fee ($36) + 1 Month of service = Far too much. I could (almost) get an unlocked one on Negri from Rogers (CA)

I may go into an ATT store Friday and try my luck...

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I am not an AT&T customer, and I went online to purchase a 920 at the $449 price, and it said that I needed to add a plan. I am planning on getting my service through Net10, and just want the phone. Is it not possible to buy the phone by itself?
If you know someone with AT&T service, I would just give them the money and have them buy it for you for $449 - that'll be the only way you can do it without being a current AT&T customer. Unless you pay the full $599.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
they make existing customers pay $499....already tried logged into an ATT account....that's on top of the shyster "activation fee" of 36 bucks.

wait for Amazon pre-order.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
yes, they charge activation fees for all new phones. Even if I were going to buy it and never open the box and stick it on a shelf to collect dust they would charge this "activation fee" It is a scam and a sham which is why I would NEVER have service with ATT.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
yes, they charge activation fees for all new phones. Even if I were going to buy it and never open the box and stick it on a shelf to collect dust they would charge this "activation fee" It is a scam and a sham which is why I would NEVER have service with ATT.

Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon do the same thing. Though I hear it's easiest to get it waived on AT&T compared to others.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon do the same thing. Though I hear it's easiest to get it waived on AT&T compared to others.

I got mine waived based on my companies contract, not sure about others, but i've read some have depending on how nice you are and how nice the rep is. May work better if you have big boobs.

Other carriers charge too i believe so this is no different. You just dont get charged if you buy off contract.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon