AT&T Customer Service is horrible

mattgrif

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have to say this is a bit of a rant/informational. If you do not want to read a rant I highly suggest you quit reading now.

I started my night off by visiting the local AT&T Brick and Mortar Shop. I went in spoke with them and waiting a good 15 minutes for them to tell me they are unable to pre-order the phones in the store. I accept that answer head home and decide I'll do this online.

I get online and had a few questions about the phone/plans so I started an online chat. While working with them I started the order process and it was not discounting my Wireless Black Charge Plate like it advertised on the site. I let the online chat person know and they told me that it is because it doesn't start until Friday. I figured this person was ill-informed considering their site pops up and tells you to add it for free.

I call the Customer Service line and the first person I told to tells me I cannot order it over the phone. I told them the problem I was having so they said they'd transfer me. When they transferred me it was the extension to check your order status over the phone and was completely automated.

I hang up and called again, spoke with another Customer Service rep and he said he'd need to transfer me, I waited about 20 minutes and I was disconnected. I tried calling again and this time was transferred to the Premeir person who also told me it wasn't eligible until Friday. I ask her why it was advertised and she said something along the lines of duplicating how my company was setup on her end. After about 5 minutes the call was dropped.

I am quite angry after nearly 2 hours on the phone with AT&T and called again, this time I told them here is what's happened and this is what I want. I decided instead of using my second lines upgrade I wanted my upgrade bumped up from May 2013 to Friday, I told them this and he told me he cannot do this but he'd escalate me, I spoke with the next person and told me the situation. This person was extremely unhelpful and all he would tell me is we cannot bump up your eligibility or do anything to compensate you for the last 2 hours. He offered to help me pre-order the Lumia 920 but I was so sick of it I told him I am done dealing with AT&T and I hung up.

I was disappointed slightly with how Microsoft handled the Surface release; but I have to say I never ever ever expected something to be this big of a screw up at AT&T has pulled off. I am going to go to the store Friday, if they do not have a Cyan Lumia 920 so be it I won't upgrade and I will begin looking at Windows 8 phones with other providers.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
@MattGrif - I read somewhere else that Yellow and Cyan may be hard to come by in the store. But I imagine once Friday comes they'll order it for you no issue in the store.

I get the feeling this whole deal was rushed .... I also get the feeling that AT&T are really apathetic when it comes to Windows Phones, it's kinda like they've given up.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I have had nothing but bad luck ordering phones on AT&T's website in the past so I just passed on the preorder this time. Will just go to work an hour late this Friday and pick one up in the morning. I don't think I will get much work done when I actually get there though seeing that I will want to play with my 920!!

mattgrif

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have had nothing but bad luck ordering phones on AT&T's website in the past so I just passed on the preorder this time. Will just go to work an hour late this Friday and pick one up in the morning. I don't think I will get much work done when I actually get there though seeing that I will want to play with my 920!!
I was thinking of doing something similar, I believe our local store doesn't open till 9am so I'll work from home Friday, stop by see if they have it if not go home and work.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Well I had a great experience. Ordered a yellow one online last night. Got instant confirmation, today the status never changed it was at "attention" so I called. They had no record of it. The rep was extremely nice, put the order in, waived the activation fee and added overnight shipping no charge. It took about 30 minutes because he didn't see the free charging plate and had to get approval for it. I was just driving home from work so the time didn't bother me. The order is correct and I saved another $36.

I Love AT&T service, any time I have had an issue it has been taken care of and they always give me something I wasn't expecting.

The funny part of the conversation was in the beginning. I said I ordered a Lumia 920 last night. He said you mean 900? The 920 aren't out. I said no I mean I 920 the pre orders started at midnight. He said "Wow, you knew that and I didn't. You should work for AT&T selling phones." :) I said I'd rather work at the MS store selling them. All MS employees get a free Surface. He said they don't get anything free, just recognition. :lol:

pderosa

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

You probably made the right choice. Tried to order online and it would not give me the right price. Then I spent over an hour on the phone with CS to get the phone ordered and when we were all done they were unable to get me the charging pad because they could not find it in their system. So now I have to go to an AT&T store to get it and then get an account credit. Very convenient.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
You have two lines, one with an upgrade, but since you were on the phone with them for however long, you wanted your line that isn't eligible for another six months to get the full discount for upgrading? C'mon man!

Being honest, if I was still an AT&T rep, I'd tell you that you could upgrade and when it came to checkout, I'd tell you $449.99 + tax.

It's not that serious to want to leave a carrier that you've been otherwise happy with. In fact, that pretty much means the 4 years of never having a problem equates to nothing. If you're eyeing the 920, it'll be a while before you get it on another carrier, that's for sure.

I actually spent close to an hour earlier today, getting credits that I probably didn't even deserve. For me, probably because I worked for them, I know exactly how to speak to them and get my way. Over $100 worth of credits applied + some other stuff =)

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
My story of AT&T in a hopefully short post. Just after WP7 phones came out, I purchased a Samsung Focus on eBay. Since it GSM and I was on Verizon, I activated it on AT&T. After a few days, I decide WP7 was no where close to being market ready.

Time passes and today I decide that I want the Lumia 920 so I hop online and start the process. That was at midnight and I didn't realize that Premier customers had priority ordering. That's fine, no problem. Went to bed and got up at 5 and decided to try the process again.

I enter what I want and hit the place the order button. A few seconds later I get this sorry can't complete your order because of some credit issue. I have excellent credit so I started the process again and again mixed in with multiple calls to Customer Service and Sales at AT&T. 3.5 hours later I finally got an agent to tell me that my credit was holding things up. I asked what credit bureau they used and contacted them, paid $16 for a combined credit report and score. The score was 763 by the way with no burps on the credit report.

Back to AT&T I go. Now almost begging them to take my money. Another few calls and they still could not find what kicket me our for credit. By the way, they said if I put a security payment of $1000, yeah $1000 for security, they would place the order.

LOL is what I did.Now mind you, I placed orders multiple times online thinking it would go through. Nope, went to Best Buy site and got the same problem. Best Buy customer mimed the AT&T people and said they had no idea what the problem was.

OK, I go back to AT&T(I'm a glutton for punishment) and they find that all the orders I placed placed a flag on my account and it would be February before they expired. I could call or place an online order then. Are you ******* kidding me. I hung up. 20 minutes later a rep calls me and tell me they are trying to figure out how to erase all these calls but until they find the thing flagging my original order, I still could not order.

I ask you, would you give these idiots another chance?:mad:

mattgrif

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
My story of AT&T in a hopefully short post. Just after WP7 phones came out, I purchased a Samsung Focus on eBay. Since it GSM and I was on Verizon, I activated it on AT&T. After a few days, I decide WP7 was no where close to being market ready.

Time passes and today I decide that I want the Lumia 920 so I hop online and start the process. That was at midnight and I didn't realize that Premier customers had priority ordering. That's fine, no problem. Went to bed and got up at 5 and decided to try the process again.

I enter what I want and hit the place the order button. A few seconds later I get this sorry can't complete your order because of some credit issue. I have excellent credit so I started the process again and again mixed in with multiple calls to Customer Service and Sales at AT&T. 3.5 hours later I finally got an agent to tell me that my credit was holding things up. I asked what credit bureau they used and contacted them, paid $16 for a combined credit report and score. The score was 763 by the way with no burps on the credit report.

Back to AT&T I go. Now almost begging them to take my money. Another few calls and they still could not find what kicket me our for credit. By the way, they said if I put a security payment of $1000, yeah $1000 for security, they would place the order.

LOL is what I did.Now mind you, I placed orders multiple times online thinking it would go through. Nope, went to Best Buy site and got the same problem. Best Buy customer mimed the AT&T people and said they had no idea what the problem was.

OK, I go back to AT&T(I'm a glutton for punishment) and they find that all the orders I placed placed a flag on my account and it would be February before they expired. I could call or place an online order then. Are you ******* kidding me. I hung up. 20 minutes later a rep calls me and tell me they are trying to figure out how to erase all these calls but until they find the thing flagging my original order, I still could not order.

I tweeted about this to @ATTCustomerCare and they ask for a contact number from me and told me a manager would contact me. I am waiting on the call now.

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

I understand your pain, but think about if someone stole your identity and was actually trying to place a bunch of orders in your name. A flag like this would prevent such actions.

I only bring this up, because it could have helped me when someone used my identity to set up 5 lines in my name... Yeah, that was fun. The only reason I found out is because I took vacation one day and found a new phone in my mailbox (which explained the weird truck that was sitting in front of my house all morning that day)!

Hopefully you can get this resolved quickly!!! Good luck!!!

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
AT&T customer service

I tweeted about this to @ATTCustomerCare and they ask for a contact number from me and told me a manager would contact me. I am waiting on the call now.

If they do call you, point out this post as well if you don't mind. I really want a 920.

KILLAchievement

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I believe AT&T CS is far better than AT&T Premier CS, they are horrible. Almost two hours on the phone with Premier Support/Escalation and no resolution, then as a last ditch effort they transferred (more like dumped me with no explaination to the CS rep) to AT&T CS and they found a resolution in like 2 minutes. I have never had any problem with AT&T CS, all my problems have been with Premier CS.

ky Phan

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I can definitely say i'm beyond frustrated with ATT.

Only porting from verizon for the phone.

This whole preorder ordeal has been a clusterf@#k

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa