Just talked to an At&t rep about an early upgrade...

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I called at&t this morning. I had one line eligible for upgrade and my other not, like 8 months from eligible. I just asked nicely, no threat to cancel, just politely asked, and they hooked me up with my one eligible and an early on my other line. And I got the $99 pricing on the 920, $49 on the 820. And since I was at work, the rep verified my number and called me back on my lunch break. She was definitely awesome.

So at the end of the day the decision to make is whether or not $100 savings (since the 920 is $450 off contract) is worth locking yourself into a 2 year contract. That boils down to slightly over $4 per month over the life of the contract. Personally I think I would prefer to buy the phone off contract and then have the upgrade for another phone 8-12 months down the line if something else piques my interest.

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone who bought the Lumia 900 on launch day had any luck getting any kind of good deal for the 920? I can't tell if the people in this thread who have gotten good deals were simply slightly early upgrades from another phone or more like those of us who would be asking for an EXTREMELY early upgrade. Thanks!

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
It also helps being nice to the reps. I worked in customer service and let me tell you, in some cases they have a lot of power to do things but rather not do them (whatever that reason may be). If you are a nice person, heck I can tell you it is not their money and they will do it anyways. But remember to try and stay nice and calm.

kevinxb

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone who bought the Lumia 900 on launch day had any luck getting any kind of good deal for the 920? I can't tell if the people in this thread who have gotten good deals were simply slightly early upgrades from another phone or more like those of us who would be asking for an EXTREMELY early upgrade. Thanks!

I have a family plan with TWO 900s that were bought on launch day. Yesterday I called AT&T customer service and was told they did not have access to order the 920 yet, but that I could call back Friday and ask for an exception upgrade. I was also given the line that it would be $200-250 on top of the contract price, but that they wouldn't know the exact amount until they could place an order.

Seeing this thread, I called back today and was told the only way I could do an upgrade was for a refurbished phone. The rep told me they still did not have access to order the 920, which is obvious bull in light of this thread, and even after speaking to her manager, there was no way they would be able to do an early upgrade and that the person I spoke to yesterday was incorrect.

The inconsistency is mind-boggling. I will try again tomorrow and see if I get someone more willing to help.

Last edited:

panheid

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Their customer support is an absolute joke.

I spoke to about 4 reps today, and received different info from all regarding early upgrade.

The best answer I received was $250 + cost of device and the rep was not able to execute the upgrade, and only promised a sales person would call me tomorrow.

What a crock.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Just wondering, has anyone with a Lumia 900 try to do this?

I switched to AT&T from Sprint back in April for the Lumia 900, so I'm only 6-7 months into a 2-year contract. On a lark, last week I decided to log onto att.com and check my upgrade status, just to see what would happen. Lo and behold, I had an upgrade available to me! Not an early upgrade, but a full upgrade so long as I re-signed a two-year contract.

Yesterday morning I logged back in, crossing my fingers that it was not a mistake, and the upgrade was still there. So I pre-ordered a cyan Lumia 920 and it should arrive tomorrow.

DKDogz54

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
The same exact thing happened to me. I called on Wednesday to ask about when my upgrade was and I let the rep know I wanted to buy a Lumia 920. Since pre-orders didn't start until Thursday she said she'd call me the next day to place the order. So she called me in the morning on Thursday and had her manager override my upgrade day. My upgrade was supposed to be in June 2013. So I went through and placed the order. But she charged me $199 instead of $99, so I called back and another rep gave me a $100 credit on my ATT bill. So happy to be an ATT customer!
Interesting, they're offering me $199 for the early upgrade too. What did you ask them when you called back? I don't want to feel like an idiot when I call and there's already a note of me acknowledging the price increase...

panheid

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, they're offering me $199 for the early upgrade too. What did you ask them when you called back? I don't want to feel like an idiot when I call and there's already a note of me acknowledging the price increase...

How far into your contract are you? And what device do you currently have? They are only offering me $250 + the cost of the device for a total of $350.

dynamikeee

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I can't upgrade until June 2013. I talked to 5 reps and the best I was offered was $199. Anyone with this same situation have any better luck?

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
So at the end of the day the decision to make is whether or not $100 savings (since the 920 is $450 off contract) is worth locking yourself into a 2 year contract. That boils down to slightly over $4 per month over the life of the contract. Personally I think I would prefer to buy the phone off contract and then have the upgrade for another phone 8-12 months down the line if something else piques my interest.

Considering I have a dying Focus Flash and just had to shell out for a speeding ticket and dental work, I'll take the cheaper contract option.

dynamikeee

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I just mentioned how badly I wanted the phone and stated that I've been with them for 10+ years. They offered to waive off the activation fee and give me free shipping, but the $99 price tag is what I really wanted. Expecting to pay $100ish compared to 200ish is a big difference. I'm going to try calling more later, I might get lucky hopefully.

DKDogz54

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
How far into your contract are you? And what device do you currently have? They are only offering me $250 + the cost of the device for a total of $350.
Im about a year into the contract. I told them how I usually get the early upgrades every year and didn't know about the change in policy about stopping that. I have the HTC Titan. I told them I wanted to stay within the Microsoft ecosystem (been hearing how they're more lenient on those who want to upgrade to something else other than an iphone).

DKDogz54

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I just mentioned how badly I wanted the phone and stated that I've been with them for 10+ years. They offered to waive off the activation fee and give me free shipping, but the $99 price tag is what I really wanted. Expecting to pay $100ish compared to 200ish is a big difference. I'm going to try calling more later, I might get lucky hopefully.
Watch out on that. For me, they had notes on how I called and asked for the $99 and denied the $199 offer. I'm hoping it won't ruin my chances of getting the $199 deal and calling to price match the $99 deal.

Dession

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

I just called and said that online the price is advertised as $99 for a 2-year contract but I was charged $199 when I placed an order over the phone. The rep apologized and gave me the credit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786