Just talked to an At&t rep about an early upgrade...

zishbu

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
what month was your upgrade in 2012?

When I purchased original Lumia 900 in April, I was eligible at that time from my iPhone4. By checking my eligibility on my Lumia 900 days ago from my phone before contacting ATT, I was told I would not be eligible until November of 2013. Hope this answers your question.

Last edited:

Toolzero

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Phone #1: on contract until Oct 2013
Phone #2: no contract
Phone #3: on contract until March 2013

On Friday I called 611and was as friendly as possible. The short version of the story is after 105 minutes on the phone I had:

Phone #1: cyan 920
Phone #2: iPhone 5
Phone #3: cyan 920

Upgrade fees waived. Free shipping.
I didn't push for the free wireless chargers because I had already been on the phone so long and was really happy about the 2 early upgrades. I'll call this week about the chargers.

giggles

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
How are you guys pushing for the early upgrades? 3rd call they said the best she could offer is 250+99 bucks. She talked to her floor manager and everything. Their biggest gripe is that i just started with them in April.

nicewabbit

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You guys...Thank you all for your stories which encouraged me to stay on the phone with them this morning! I have been calling at least twice since Friday till I got a rep who understood my request.

On my 12th - or so - try, I got a rep who sympathized completely and agreed to do the override (no manager intervention, nothing) and upgrade me for $99. Since I wanted the red which is currently on backorder, she will call me back by the end of the week and honor the override price. She's putting my account on "special treatment" so no one else meddles with it.

And strangely, I actually trust her - she (Anna) is an angel! YAY!

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
You guys...Thank you all for your stories which encouraged me to stay on the phone with them this morning! I have been calling at least twice since Friday till I got a rep who understood my request.

On my 12th - or so - try, I got a rep who sympathized completely and agreed to do the override (no manager intervention, nothing) and upgrade me for $99. Since I wanted the red which is currently on backorder, she will call me back by the end of the week and honor the override price. She's putting my account on "special treatment" so no one else meddles with it.

And strangely, I actually trust her - she (Anna) is an angel! YAY!

do you have her direct extension?

when is your normal upgrade month?

eazyweazy3

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Chatted with three different girls on ATT Wireless Support. The first one spoke to a manager and said I would be unable to upgrade so I closed the box and started a new chat. This girl said that I would receive a call from a manager within 24 hours to discuss an early upgrade. I was fine with that but was unsure if somebody would actually call me so I started a new chat and the girl said that they were in the process of an "urgent case" to submit my upgrade and thanked me for being a "loyal member since 2008."

So I'm hoping that I will receive the phone call soon and hear some good news!

crackdezberries

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
How are you guys pushing for the early upgrades? 3rd call they said the best she could offer is 250+99 bucks. She talked to her floor manager and everything. Their biggest gripe is that i just started with them in April.
Its all on the rep you get, my girlfriend tried for two days straight and no luck, lucky took me 2 calls to get the 199 price the total came out to 213...im still waiting to call and see if they can match the 99 price and also need to inform them about the free charging pad

giggles

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Okay I think I found a way to make this work for everybody after talking to the floor manager. She said If you find someones account in the exact same standing as yours or worse and they are able to get the upgrade they HAVE to honor it. So did anyone get the lumia launch day and not have their upgrade till nov 2013 or best yet just signed up with att in april want to give me their account holders name?

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Okay I think I found a way to make this work for everybody after talking to the floor manager. She said If you find someones account in the exact same standing as yours or worse and they are able to get the upgrade they HAVE to honor it. So did anyone get the lumia launch day and not have their upgrade till nov 2013 or best yet just signed up with att in april want to give me their account holders name?

I don't think this will work because if you look back at one of rvger's posts, his girlfriend wasn't able to do it even though he was able to do it for his line, and the rep just told her "I don't know how he was able to do that." Not saying not to try it, but it doesn't look like they'd be able to do that either. You could try what someone said earlier and say that you were in the process of getting the 99$ but got disconnected. The worse they could say is they don't see notes or anything about it.

cae758

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I 611'ed AT&T about upgrading to the NL920 from my NL900. The initial customer representative said I wasn't eligible until Nov. '13. I asked to speak to a manager, who processed a Cyan NL920 for $99 (w/ interest came to $108+change) hassle-free. It couldn't have been an easier process.

I explained how online I was only being offered an early upgrade for the iPhone. And I wasn't sure if saying any of this stuff worked to my advantage, but I mentioned how I have been a loyal customer since Nov. '08 when i got my iPhone 3G; The 900 isn't eligible for WP8 software. The first guy I spoke to was obstinate, but the lady manager couldn't have been more accommodating.

I was so excited getting the 920 for $99, I forgot to ask about the charging plate. Not that I care really: It's my understanding it charges slower than a direct plugin anyway. The phone is backordered, unfortunately, so I don't know when I'll be receiving it. Either way, I feel taken care of.

I was ready to pull the $499 trigger on Microsoft's web store and would have except I wouldn't pay that much for a phone I'm not certain is unlocked. Luckily, I did not have to.

Thank you, AT&T!

EDIT: In addition, I didn't even bother *****footing with some song & dance to the manager, I flat out told her I read about people in my position getting the phone for the $99 price tag on WPCentral. Only having the 900 for 7 months, I wouldn't have even asked about an early upgrade if not for what I was reading on here.

Last edited:

Darus214

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I 611'ed AT&T about upgrading to the NL920 from my NL900. The initial customer representative said I wasn't eligible until Nov. '13. I asked to speak to a manager, who processed a Cyan NL920 for $99 (w/ interest came to $108+change) hassle-free. It couldn't have been an easier process.

I explained how online I was only being offered an early upgrade for the iPhone. And I wasn't sure if saying any of this stuff worked to my advantage, but I mentioned how I have been a loyal customer since Nov. '08 when i got my iPhone 3G; The 900 isn't eligible for WP8 software. The first guy I spoke to was obstinate, but the lady manager couldn't have been more accommodating.

I was so excited getting the 920 for $99, I forgot to ask about the charging plate. Not that I care really: It's my understanding it charges slower than a direct plugin anyway. The phone is backordered, unfortunately, so I don't know when I'll be receiving it. Either way, I feel taken care of.

I was ready to pull the $499 trigger on Microsoft's web store and would have except I wouldn't pay that much for a phone I'm not certain is unlocked. Luckily, I did not have to.

Thank you, AT&T!
Now that they gave you the $99 dollar price, call back tomorrow and tell them that you noticed that Walmart is selling it for $49. They will send you the money back or just give you a credit to your account. Trust me, it worked for me. So not only did I get the Lumia early but for $49 instead of $99 on top a free charger. I could not be any happier

LongLeggs

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been with ATT since the beginning, when they were Cellular One then Cingular. Since I have been with them for 15 years they always go the extra mile. Sorry for those having issues.

Jessica

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Just tried again with 611, rep was nice, put me on hold for quite a while to talk to her manager, but the manager refused just because I've had the phone[900] for only 7 months.... i'll give it another go tomorrow and see what happens....

giggles

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't think this will work because if you look back at one of rvger's posts, his girlfriend wasn't able to do it even though he was able to do it for his line, and the rep just told her "I don't know how he was able to do that." Not saying not to try it, but it doesn't look like they'd be able to do that either. You could try what someone said earlier and say that you were in the process of getting the 99$ but got disconnected. The worse they could say is they don't see notes or anything about it.

Yea but I don't think they actually showed the situation because she said If I can show another instance (through account holder) per company policy they have to honor the upgrade.

cae758

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
My upgrade eligible is 11/2013, and they refused. I wonder if that one month (1 yr from now) makes a difference, or the fact that you upgraded 3 lines.

Anyone with upgrade eligible date of 11/2013 had any luck?
Ditto on Nov. '13 and I had luck upgrading for $99. You can read my other post in this same thread detailing my experience. I'm sorry about your experience: Unfortunately the polar opposite of mine. Stay hopeful.

Hi guys, I have a Lumia 900, just blogged about my call today to ATT. I was approved for early upgrade pricing.

Upgrade Lumia 900 to Lumia 920 | Gabe's Blog

GL to other 900 owners out there!
Glad to see someone else had a positive experience. The customer upgrade inconsistency within this thread is dumbfounding.

Now that they gave you the $99 dollar price, call back tomorrow and tell them that you noticed that Walmart is selling it for $49. They will send you the money back or just give you a credit to your account. Trust me, it worked for me. So not only did I get the Lumia early but for $49 instead of $99 on top a free charger. I could not be any happier
Thanks! I'll give that a try tomorrow and take a shot at the charging pad as well. Worst case scenario, they say 'no.'

I'd like to add, the Yellow L920 was not offered over phone. I'm pretty sure it is an online only option anyway; I just haven't been paying enough attention to those details. Should be noted though.

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
THIS. Again, I bought Lumia 900 near launch. Upgrade date of 2013..

Curious. How do you buy an L900 around April 2012, and have an upgrade due in 2013? I thought early upgrades were 21 months. At least it is for me. Been an AT&T customer since the first time they were AT&T Wireless.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

giggles

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Curious. How do you buy an L900 around April 2012, and have an upgrade due in 2013? I thought early upgrades were 21 months. At least it is for me. Been an AT&T customer since the first time they were AT&T Wireless.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Yea I thought that was odd too. I gut a launch day Lumia and my upgrade is Nov on 2013. That's like 18 months elapsed in my contract by then.

crackdezberries

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I believe the upgrade deal and full discour is 18 months into your contract. I was wondering for the people who got the 199 pricing and called back to get credited to the 99 price. Did you have the phone already or did you preorder and called to negotiate the price match to full discount.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I called in to do the preorder. Went that route because of my one line eligible second not status. The trend I'm noticing is long standing customers of at&t seem to have been able to get them to deal in varying degrees.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077