I got a response from Elop on Lumia 920 Daytime photo quality.

tdrock1

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I exchanged many emails with Elop over the last 6 months and he's very kind and caring.

He always cced other employees that took care of my issue (hue fix for canadians on Rogers, microphone saturation in the 900, getting more 920 colors to Rogers, etc...)

He's on top of his game, but some of the people that work under him do not follow through sometimes.

hi, what he say about the different colors with Rogers. Are they going to get differnt colors?

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had very many "bad" photos like in the reviews. Its hit or miss it seems with the write ups.. my images so far have been very good and I am very pleased with them.

And it sounds like they will just get better.

8.7MP Pureview, Pureview HD screen, Dolby enhancement and equalizer, Qi wireless charging, NFC and most importantly Windows Phone 8 make this handset in my opinion the best over anything out there.

8X is ok, but I bet HTC releases an 8Z or something with a quad core and 32+ GB storage, 16GB just doesn't cut it.

I would take the ATIV-S over the 8X at this point, at least it has expandable storage, replaceable battery and a 4.8" screen.
I would take the Ativ over any phone. Imo it's by far the best phone out there.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Oh the irony. We are linking to technobuffalo as "proof" that the 920 takes bad pictures, the very review that scored it the highest with a 9.5

Truth is I just can't trust those technobuffalo shots as proof of anything, specially when compared with other reviews that took much much better daytime shots. The thing is, anybody can take "bad" shots with even the best DLSR camera. With no gallery of shots made available for comparison, I'm almost convinced that technobuffalo just decided to post the worst pics of the bunch.

We already know that the 920 takes the best night shots as well as take the best videos so it is natural to also expect the "best" daylight photos as well. It's all in the software optimization and I'm positive a fix will complete the trifecta.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
So after reading the Techno Buffalo review and seeing the daytime photo pictures I thought I'd email Mr. Elop about the quality of the Lumia during the day. He responded this morning.
Here is what I wrote him.

Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 02:56
To: Elop Stephen (Nokia/Espoo)
Subject: Lumia 920 pre ordered but...

I?ve been so excited for my Lumia 920 preorder, but I?ve been worried to say the least about some of the day time pictures. A lot of these are laughably bad and I don?t seem to understand why.
I?m not saying this to frustrate you or pick some sort of fight. I just don?t want to return my Lumia 920 for the HTC 8X if I knew a camera fix was on the way. I?ve included the link to a site that has some pictures for you to view that show my concerns? this is just one of many that show pictures like this.

Nokia Lumia 920 Review - The Best Windows Phone 8 Device Yet? | TechnoBuffalo

here are the pictures if you want to just cut straight to it.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/iphone-5-lumia-920-camera-003-640x360.jpg

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/iphone-5-lumia-920-camera-001-640x360.jpg

Also I?d like to know if it?s possible that this fix would fix some of the issues that some people have claimed happen at night.
http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/iphone-5-lumia-920-camera-002-640x360.jpg

Thanks again Stephen.

Here is his response:

Hello there,

Thanks for the note. We are getting a lot of in field experience with this amazing camera, and the good news is that we can learn from the volume of photos that are beginning to be taken, and can definitely adjust and improve. This will be an ongoing theme for us for sure. The sensor and lens are great, and we are continuing to push forward with the computational photography software to make an even better end result.

So, the 920 is a good bet if you are serious about photography.

Regards,

Stephen

All in all I think Stephen is a classy guy, and I appreciate him responding to me. I do wish a more direct answer was given to me. Like "Hey Chris we are aware of this and great progress has been made. A fix will be out soon."
Anyways I thought I'd just share that with you all.

I am not saying this to troll one bit, BUT didn't the 900 have issues that they pushed out a fix on, but it BARELY worked? I had the Lumia 900 and so did my wife. Even after the fix was pushed, she still found the pics to be messed up.

My question here is, what is do different this time???? All the work they put into the photography on the phone and the basic daylight pics are lacking? What is going on here? I'm actually wanting to buy a 920, but my draw is not the low light pictures actually. IF my daylight picks aren't great with Pureview, then I've lost all hope for humanity. lol. I'm kidding.

AgentSplurge

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
iphone-5-lumia-920-camera-002-640x360.jpg

Can't wait for my 920 to arrive - my iPhone 4 takes photos that look like the supposed '920 photo' on the right every time, I hate the camera on it!

My n95 had the best camera ever, that thing took perfect pictures every single time, you wouldn't believe it was taken on a phone, let alone one that would now be 5 years old! Actually, that phone was the actual best phone ever. I think I'm going to get another one as my spare. That would be my 6th though!

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Can't wait for my 920 to arrive - my iPhone 4 takes photos that look like the supposed '920 photo' on the right every time, I hate the camera on it!

Does it do it with the case off? My wife's ip4 did this too. I had her try it with the case off and it took much better pictures. Turns out the case was causing flare into the lens when the flash was used or the sun was in the wrong place. A little work with a nail file to bevel and roughen the area around the lens and flash seems to have fixed it.

zolgi

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I am not saying this to troll one bit, BUT didn't the 900 have issues that they pushed out a fix on, but it BARELY worked? I had the Lumia 900 and so did my wife. Even after the fix was pushed, she still found the pics to be messed up.

My question here is, what is do different this time???? All the work they put into the photography on the phone and the basic daylight pics are lacking? What is going on here? I'm actually wanting to buy a 920, but my draw is not the low light pictures actually. IF my daylight picks aren't great with Pureview, then I've lost all hope for humanity. lol. I'm kidding.

920 is phase 2 in pureview. That phase 2 means low-light & OIS. Daylight isn't pureview in 920.

laserfloyd

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Not getting this problem with my camera. Most shots turn out really nice. It could use some tweaking but I'm pretty happy with it. Low light is amazing and OIS is great too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss