The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-05-2012 11:42 PM
71 123
tools
    I originally was pretty stuck between red and yellow, then cyan made the decision easy for me, then I saw the white with the high contrast theme... Then the announcement of black only in Canada made it all moot. :(

33 yr old caucasian male, straight. I work as a welder, very male dominated. And I DGAF because I don't like anyone. :P

Also, great job everyone keeping the discussion intelligent and civilized. I'm genuinely impressed!
    Last edited by freestaterocker; 11-09-2012 at 03:44 AM.
    11-09-2012 03:38 AM
    I'm glad we're all stating our sexual preferences because that's important for phone talk. :P

The OP asked for demographic... Part of the package, mate.
    11-09-2012 03:40 AM
    I am a professional and I expect people to look strange at first. But I also think that the notion that professional phones have to be black is nonsense. Everyone should get the color he or she likes. Let's bring a little color and personality to our phones again. Color for everyone!:lol:
    I agree!

I've always had black because I thought it had to be conservative. When the 900 came out my plan was to buy cyan but I saw it in person I didn't like it so went black again.

1: It wasn't love at first site. This time I was thinking grey until many of the first videos were yellow. I ordered it even though I never saw one in person but I'm confident that I'll love it.

2: I can't answer that until I get it. I'm expecting many comments and questions. Probably asking if I'm in a mid life crisis. :lol:

3:Yes, When i was younger I worried about what people thought. Now their opinions are meaningless to me.

4: I think it's a personality thing. Sex age and race have little to nothing to do with what color you choose.
    11-09-2012 04:33 AM
    I got the black 920. It's a classic color, goes with everything, sophisticated. Since the screen is black also, it all blends together like you're holding a piece of obsidian.

That being said, I would have loved to get a phone with an "unconventional" color, but, for me, the colors of the Lumia are too bold. My favorite color is blue, and if the Lumia came in a royal or marine blue (kind of like the pictures of the "cyan" 920 here on WPC news articles), all that talk about black and obsidian I said earlier would have been nonsense. Red would have also been nice, but not candy-apple strawberry soda Ferrari red like the current red Lumia, but like a rich Merlot burgundy, I would get that. Gunmetal? I would get that too.

BTW, I'm male, asian, 30, and, ummm, straight. ;)
    11-09-2012 05:08 AM
    I love the fact that the Lumias come in different colours - including black in white in case that's what you like!

For me it was love at first sight with all the colours they all look great, although I wouldn't buy the yellow (too bright/girly), matte Cyan is by FAR my fav but alas, not an option for me in the UK :( Black is too common, would look like I still had an iPhone which I don't want, white is nice but not being glass I think it looks a little bit cheap plus it's exclusive to EE which I refuse to go with, so the only option left was red so that's what I have got! Well, what I've ordered anyway.
    11-09-2012 07:41 AM
    Blackberries were cyan for many years. Never noticed businesses and professionals shying away from them.
    11-09-2012 07:56 AM
    After visiting an AT&T store and checking ou the lumia 900s I decided I really like the feel of the matte colors best. I don't care for cyan so it was black or gray for me. And then AT&T decided to not carry gray so I went with black. Actually I'm not sure if anyone has gray, but black is fine too. If red was matte I might have gone with it.
    11-09-2012 08:09 AM
    Blackberries were cyan for many years. Never noticed businesses and professionals shying away from them.

Weren't they blue? I had one, and I don't recall it being cyan.

Not that it changes your point at all.
    11-09-2012 08:10 AM
    After getting screwed on my online cyan order I decided on black. I want matte and I was always a bit worried about non blue/black/white tiles looking weird with the cyan. Plus black will match my surface better with blue tiles to match the touchcover.
    11-09-2012 08:47 AM
    i bought a white one. i've had a black (and back in the day black and silver) iphone since the first one.

I love the contrast of the white against the black screen, makes the screen really pop out at you.

if i ever get tired of the white, can always throw a case on it. don't think i will though.

as for the glossyness, i'll have to see when i get it, probably won't mind it. but i'm picking up screen/body protector from Skinomi, which will help remove some of the glossyness and keep the fingerprints to minimum. don't think i'll notice the fingerprints so much on a glossy white vs. red/yellow. Red/yellow is just too 'loud' for me.
    11-09-2012 09:25 AM
    Weren't they blue? I had one, and I don't recall it being cyan.

Not that it changes your point at all.

They weren't all blue, but quite a few old models were blue. http://www.katalogmobilu.cz/files/mo...rry-7230-1.jpg
    11-09-2012 09:32 AM
    I went with yellow (white was a #2 option), my wife chose black, my brother red, and my sister-in-law cyan. Love having the options.

I do agree with others about the slickness of the glossy phone, and am seriously considering getting ghost armor for both the screen and the body. Though I'm also thinking it might be interesting to actually intentionally scuff up the body to make it matte and hide scratches (like brushed metal)--but that's SUPER risky...I may do that when the body gets lots of scratches from general use.
    12-03-2012 10:16 AM
    I think in the end it's a matter of taste and not necessarily demographics. People like different styles, some are more conservative than others.

I keep things professional at work, but I still got the yellow 920, and I don't think it's unprofessional at all. I mean, I've seen managers with super tacky sparkly cases on their iphones, so a sleek yellow Lumia looks so much better. I love that Nokia has given customers the opportunity to get something different, and that's another reason why I'm a customer of theirs.

It's still funny how people see it and ask me if it has a case on, they're all so used to black/white phones.
    aubreyq and Duvi like this.
    12-03-2012 10:38 AM
    I'm a guy, and I REALLY think that yellow and cyan phones looks like they're for girls. I get others feel differently, but I hate those colors for a guy's phone, haha. The white is a color I just don't like at all--for guys or girls. I think it makes me think of an iPhone by default, and I hate those. I wanted grey, but that's not in the U.S. That all meant it was black or red for me. I wanted to see them both before deciding, but I went to AT&T the day they released (Friday, 11/9), and they only had black. They said white should show up that afternoon (didn't want it, though), and that red would maybe be in Tuesday or so. I didn't want to wait, so they made my choice very easy, black it was.

In hindsight, I didn't want to wait, and probably still wouldn't. I wasn't going to pay a $35 restocking fee to switch, so that's that. I would have liked to get a more noticeable color like red (I normally don't go for bright colors, but I wanted this phone to get people's attention), but I was out of luck on that. I'll likely get a colorful (Chicago Cubs blue or something) cover for the phone, since the matte black is an extremely slick device.
    12-03-2012 11:38 AM
    Early 40s, male, straight (lol) and I'm holding out for yellow. It's interesting because normally I don't like to draw attention to myself but I'm very bored of black phones. I think the yellow 920 looks awesome and it's the closest I'll get to owning a Lamborghini ;-)
    dalydose likes this.
    12-03-2012 11:56 AM
    I'm a guy, and I REALLY think that yellow and cyan phones looks like they're for girls. I get others feel differently, but I hate those colors for a guy's phone, haha. The white is a color I just don't like at all--for guys or girls. I think it makes me think of an iPhone by default, and I hate those. I wanted grey, but that's not in the U.S. That all meant it was black or red for me. I wanted to see them both before deciding, but I went to AT&T the day they released (Friday, 11/9), and they only had black. They said white should show up that afternoon (didn't want it, though), and that red would maybe be in Tuesday or so. I didn't want to wait, so they made my choice very easy, black it was.

In hindsight, I didn't want to wait, and probably still wouldn't. I wasn't going to pay a $35 restocking fee to switch, so that's that. I would have liked to get a more noticeable color like red (I normally don't go for bright colors, but I wanted this phone to get people's attention), but I was out of luck on that. I'll likely get a colorful (Chicago Cubs blue or something) cover for the phone, since the matte black is an extremely slick device.
    As you said, I think everything is a matter of opinion. I'm a guy and I think that the red one is the most feminine of all the colors. That said, I think that either gender can comfortably use any of the colors.
    12-03-2012 11:57 AM
    I'm older than the original poster of this topic and am a black, straight male. Do phone choices have such demographic differences??

Anyway, I chose the RED Lumia 920 after having a white Lumia 900. I just wanted something more bold. I initially wondered if I would be stuck with just a couple of tile color options, but most of them seem to work pretty well and I'll have a Christmas phone (red phone w/ green tiles) for most of December. I'm currently rocking the Cobalt Blue. I am involved in a few areas of entertainment, including being an actor so being bold and noticeable isn't a concern of mine. :) I have had a few people ask me about the device and since I'm a bit of a Windows Phone evangelist, I welcome opportunities to sing its praises.
    aubreyq and Reflexx like this.
    12-03-2012 12:21 PM
    As you said, I think everything is a matter of opinion. I'm a guy and I think that the red one is the most feminine of all the colors. That said, I think that either gender can comfortably use any of the colors.
    YOUR St. Louis Cardinals are red and masculine! :) I love my BOLD red phone and while I don't assign gender to things like color, I think it suits men and women equally.
    aubreyq likes this.
    12-03-2012 12:23 PM
    I'm a 32 year old, straight, hispanic male, and black is my favorite color. All my phones have been black, and I always purchase a case (also black). I didn't even consider purchasing any of the other colors available. I know it's counterproductive in regard to the spreading of the Windows Phone gospel, but I don't want my phone to draw attention, as I wouldn't hand it over to be played with, anyway.

In regard to the original post....it all comes down to that same ol' cliche: It's all about personal preference.
    12-03-2012 12:35 PM
    I don't want my phone to draw attention, as I wouldn't hand it over to be played with, anyway...
    That's one of my concerns with me wanting the yellow; as soon as I pull the phone out of my pocket or pouch people will want to check it out. I might just show it to them without handing it over, hahaha!
    12-03-2012 12:44 PM
    I think in the end it's a matter of taste and not necessarily demographics. People like different styles, some are more conservative than others.

I keep things professional at work, but I still got the yellow 920, and I don't think it's unprofessional at all. I mean, I've seen managers with super tacky sparkly cases on their iphones, so a sleek yellow Lumia looks so much better. I love that Nokia has given customers the opportunity to get something different, and that's another reason why I'm a customer of theirs.

It's still funny how people see it and ask me if it has a case on, they're all so used to black/white phones.
    Yeah... I get that with my Cyan! "It's blue or is that a case?"
    12-05-2012 11:42 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD