An intelligent discussion on black vs. colorful phones

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Not getting a 920 just yet, holding off for a few months... I have my eye on the yellow one. I wasn't that fond of it when I first saw pics, but it grew on me REALLY quickly. I really love it. I'm not totally against black phones (I have a black iPhone 4), but they're definitely more on the dull side. I haven't had a phone with some color in it since my red Nokia Xpress Music 5310 that I lost in January 2011. Next week, I'll be getting the Lumia 810 and plan on using it with the cyan back cover. Anything but boring basic black! I love wearing black, but I'm drawing the line with my phone, lol! :p

jkc0170

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I too have always had dark (black/grey) phones, but I'm going red this time for one reason: I'm tired of putting my phone down on some dark piece of furniture and then having to hunt for it later...especially the black phones. I've got a RAZR MAXX that I have literally lost for days when it dropped on my couch and just "blended in" like it had a cloaking device switched on.

Should not have the same problem with the red 920. :)

Beltelmel

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
after thinking of this since the phone was originally announced, i've decided on black. I'm not against color but more against the phone being glossy versus matte. For my preference, cyan was way too light blue for my taste. I would love an actual or dark blue if matte. I'd even consider the current red and yellow if they were matte. I'm sure they will have more options eventually, but after waiting this long for the phone, i'd rather just go with traditional black and have my new phone tomorrow.

+1

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Im going with cyan.

Coming from iphone, I have had white and black forever. I guess I want the chance to stand out from the crowd, though Im a pretty antisocial person who is typically happy to blend in.

I suppose a light blue phone is just passive aggressive enough to suit my personality.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
@bauerbach I thought the same thing until I spent more time with a cyan phone. My L900 glows in the dark. I really don't want to advertise to people out on the streets I have a $500 smartphone, so if its black and unsuspecting that works for me. Most of the time the display will be flipped and facing me.

diego15nets

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
For me it's about getting something different from others and from what I've gotten in the past. Most phones look all the same black, gray o white, why not change it up and add some color to your life? However, the color choices may be to vibrant for many to make the switch. As someone mentioned, a royal blue or darker colors would be an easier transition.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I will likely be getting a cyan 920, but the red one also sounds interesting. I can't wait to see them both in person and decide.

I think a car color is a commitment, I have driven the same car for the last 8 years. I will have this phone for up to two years. I have a bright orange case on my current black phone. I like bright, bold colors that stand out.

Woembah

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm a male straight 20 year old Dutch student with some asian blood, and I have had a cyan 800 for almost a year now. I still love the color a lot. I don't really wear clothes or shoes with bright colors like that (bar the occasional t-shirt), but I think my phone really adds just that bit of fun to my overal presence. I do care about how people think of me but that does not mean I want to blend in completely. Actually my choice for a cyan lumia is partially based on the fact that it's quite unique. I do feel some sense of pride every time I take out my phone in public. People take note and often instantly recognize it as a Lumia which I think is fun. Reactions are generally (very
) positive but it could be that some people who didn't like it kept it for themselves.

I might get a 920, but it seems that cyan will not be available here in Europe. Actually, I don't think i'd want to have the same color again. But I really don't know which one to pick now. I like the matte black and especially the matte grey version, but it will not be as fun as the cyan that I already have. Yellow and Red are also nice, but I'm not sure if I like them as much as I liked Cyan.
I think white will be my choice this time, it might not stand out as much but it's still very pretty and i'm dying to try out that high contrast theme with it. Or maybe I want grey the most because of the matte finish. Or yellow. Aarrgh can't decide :mad:

By the way, I really like that Halstead Square project, it looks very classy. Actually it looks very European so maybe it's just located in the wrong continent :p.

fhumphrey04

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm a 20 something straight white dude who drives a miata, so obviously I dont get too hung up on what people think. lol.

Cyan for me because it's a upbeat and fun color. I tend to wear bright and random tshirts for this same reason, life is too short to be concerned about what others think. Get what you like and what makes you happy.

/motivationalspeech

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't care too much what people think very much. Not in some antisocial way. It just normally doesn't bother me.

I like the yellow 920. I pondered getting the cyan because it would ship sooner and it would match my Surface keyboard, but my wife told me that she doesn't want me settling just because I want something faster. It was a good point.

She thinks that the yellow matches my personality pretty well anyways. And I'm also a big Lakers fan.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Probably red, although I'm open to white because all the accent colors will look great with it. Tired of black phones.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm leaning towards yellow but want to check out the glossy finish at a store first to be sure I'm OK with it. If it turns out I don't like glossy finish then I'll go with cyan.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I've always gotten black phones (and before that, silver/grey when that was the norm). I've decided I want a yellow Lumia this time. I struggled with it for a bit, but I want the design to stand out, and I want to show arrogant iPhone owners that their device is both flimsy and looks like crap compared to a Lumia.

What decided it for me in the end? This isn't a life long commitment... I'll have another phone this time next year, or maybe in two years tops. If I didn't like the colorful route, I can always just go back to neutral colors.

It's kinda like cutting long hair... if you don't like the change, it'll grow back (in this case, you can go back).

Just want to add that I'm going to compare the colors and finishes in person first (if possible) before making a final choice about color. I was torn between cyan, red, and yellow, and the tie-breaker for me was that yellow will likely go with more tile colors. Might be something you all want to consider.

Also, I think it's funny everyone in this thread is making sure to reiterate that they're straight :D

ilifecomputer

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I change my theme color pretty much daily and ordered a white 920 so that it would always match well. I kinda wanted yellow but feel I would probably stick to yellow on yellow way too frequently. only an orange phone would have been a MUST for me.

and yes the high contrast with white looks soooo good.

big_slim750

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm a mid 30's, straight, black guy. What others think of me really doesn't matter much. I'm 95% sure I'm going with the Red 920.

Red is my favorite toy color. My Camry SE, and Suzuki Hayabusa are red. My motorcycle club colors are red also. And since I'm getting more and more into football, my team of choice isn't actually red, but they are the Washington Redskins.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I am going with yellow i like that it is bright and flashy. It is different. I cannot stand white. The other colors would be ok, but yellow stands out. Being a finance profesional I think it shows that I am unique. I also do not.like to follow trends, I like to set them.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I change my theme color pretty much daily and ordered a white 920 so that it would always match well. I kinda wanted yellow but feel I would probably stick to yellow on yellow way too frequently. only an orange phone would have been a MUST for me.

and yes the high contrast with white looks soooo good.

Among yellow, red, and cyan, yellow should go with the most tile colors. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but here's a little swatch palette of WP8 tile colors: http://innowrx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/windows-phone-8-20-accent-colors-tiles-choices.png. There really aren't any colors that won't go with it, except for colors I wouldn't use anyway (like pink and magenta). A yellow L920 with orange tiles is gonna look sweet, fits with the Fall season.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm a mid 30's, straight, black guy. What others think of me really doesn't matter much. I'm 95% sure I'm going with the Red 920.

Red is my favorite toy color. My Camry SE, and Suzuki Hayabusa are red. My motorcycle club colors are red also. And since I'm getting more and more into football, my team of choice isn't actually red, but they are the Washington Redskins.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

I'm a Skins fan as well, diehard since I was a kid. And interestingly enough, red has always been my favorite color. I think I'm going with a yellow L920 though. I'll match it with "crimson" tiles when I go to games :D http://innowrx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/windows-phone-8-20-accent-colors-tiles-choices.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett