An intelligent discussion on black vs. colorful phones

beej

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I went with yellow (white was a #2 option), my wife chose black, my brother red, and my sister-in-law cyan. Love having the options.

I do agree with others about the slickness of the glossy phone, and am seriously considering getting ghost armor for both the screen and the body. Though I'm also thinking it might be interesting to actually intentionally scuff up the body to make it matte and hide scratches (like brushed metal)--but that's SUPER risky...I may do that when the body gets lots of scratches from general use.

lita_g

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I think in the end it's a matter of taste and not necessarily demographics. People like different styles, some are more conservative than others.

I keep things professional at work, but I still got the yellow 920, and I don't think it's unprofessional at all. I mean, I've seen managers with super tacky sparkly cases on their iphones, so a sleek yellow Lumia looks so much better. I love that Nokia has given customers the opportunity to get something different, and that's another reason why I'm a customer of theirs.

It's still funny how people see it and ask me if it has a case on, they're all so used to black/white phones.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm a guy, and I REALLY think that yellow and cyan phones looks like they're for girls. I get others feel differently, but I hate those colors for a guy's phone, haha. The white is a color I just don't like at all--for guys or girls. I think it makes me think of an iPhone by default, and I hate those. I wanted grey, but that's not in the U.S. That all meant it was black or red for me. I wanted to see them both before deciding, but I went to AT&T the day they released (Friday, 11/9), and they only had black. They said white should show up that afternoon (didn't want it, though), and that red would maybe be in Tuesday or so. I didn't want to wait, so they made my choice very easy, black it was.

In hindsight, I didn't want to wait, and probably still wouldn't. I wasn't going to pay a $35 restocking fee to switch, so that's that. I would have liked to get a more noticeable color like red (I normally don't go for bright colors, but I wanted this phone to get people's attention), but I was out of luck on that. I'll likely get a colorful (Chicago Cubs blue or something) cover for the phone, since the matte black is an extremely slick device.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Early 40s, male, straight (lol) and I'm holding out for yellow. It's interesting because normally I don't like to draw attention to myself but I'm very bored of black phones. I think the yellow 920 looks awesome and it's the closest I'll get to owning a Lamborghini ;-)

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm a guy, and I REALLY think that yellow and cyan phones looks like they're for girls. I get others feel differently, but I hate those colors for a guy's phone, haha. The white is a color I just don't like at all--for guys or girls. I think it makes me think of an iPhone by default, and I hate those. I wanted grey, but that's not in the U.S. That all meant it was black or red for me. I wanted to see them both before deciding, but I went to AT&T the day they released (Friday, 11/9), and they only had black. They said white should show up that afternoon (didn't want it, though), and that red would maybe be in Tuesday or so. I didn't want to wait, so they made my choice very easy, black it was.

In hindsight, I didn't want to wait, and probably still wouldn't. I wasn't going to pay a $35 restocking fee to switch, so that's that. I would have liked to get a more noticeable color like red (I normally don't go for bright colors, but I wanted this phone to get people's attention), but I was out of luck on that. I'll likely get a colorful (Chicago Cubs blue or something) cover for the phone, since the matte black is an extremely slick device.
As you said, I think everything is a matter of opinion. I'm a guy and I think that the red one is the most feminine of all the colors. That said, I think that either gender can comfortably use any of the colors.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm older than the original poster of this topic and am a black, straight male. Do phone choices have such demographic differences??

Anyway, I chose the RED Lumia 920 after having a white Lumia 900. I just wanted something more bold. I initially wondered if I would be stuck with just a couple of tile color options, but most of them seem to work pretty well and I'll have a Christmas phone (red phone w/ green tiles) for most of December. I'm currently rocking the Cobalt Blue. I am involved in a few areas of entertainment, including being an actor so being bold and noticeable isn't a concern of mine. :) I have had a few people ask me about the device and since I'm a bit of a Windows Phone evangelist, I welcome opportunities to sing its praises.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
As you said, I think everything is a matter of opinion. I'm a guy and I think that the red one is the most feminine of all the colors. That said, I think that either gender can comfortably use any of the colors.

YOUR St. Louis Cardinals are red and masculine! :) I love my BOLD red phone and while I don't assign gender to things like color, I think it suits men and women equally.

InnocuousScreenname

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm a 32 year old, straight, hispanic male, and black is my favorite color. All my phones have been black, and I always purchase a case (also black). I didn't even consider purchasing any of the other colors available. I know it's counterproductive in regard to the spreading of the Windows Phone gospel, but I don't want my phone to draw attention, as I wouldn't hand it over to be played with, anyway.

In regard to the original post....it all comes down to that same ol' cliche: It's all about personal preference.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't want my phone to draw attention, as I wouldn't hand it over to be played with, anyway...
That's one of my concerns with me wanting the yellow; as soon as I pull the phone out of my pocket or pouch people will want to check it out. I might just show it to them without handing it over, hahaha!

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I think in the end it's a matter of taste and not necessarily demographics. People like different styles, some are more conservative than others.

I keep things professional at work, but I still got the yellow 920, and I don't think it's unprofessional at all. I mean, I've seen managers with super tacky sparkly cases on their iphones, so a sleek yellow Lumia looks so much better. I love that Nokia has given customers the opportunity to get something different, and that's another reason why I'm a customer of theirs.

It's still funny how people see it and ask me if it has a case on, they're all so used to black/white phones.

Yeah... I get that with my Cyan! "It's blue or is that a case?"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs