Do we all agree ATT screwed up the pre-order/launch of the 920 badly?

eallan

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
But it will is my point. They can't guarantee you anything. No one can. If they don't, they're liars or they warehouse and courier are the next two houses next to yours.

If you get it next Tuesday, you avoided the store... No?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Really? Amazon can guarantee me a five dollar bag of candy will get there in X days if order in X hours but AT&T can't for a freaking one time launch of a five hundred dollar smartphone?

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
This has been a disaster. I am not getting a phone at all now because I have been lied to by various AT&T reps over the past 2 days. I give up, cancelled my order. Moving to Russia next month anyways, so... will get one on Megafon and be done with it.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
i didn't get my point across very well

the point of a pre-order is to get it on launch date and avoid a "line" or "crowd"

ATT didn't do a great job of this preorder since not many people will get theirs delivered tomorrow.

The statement of delivery on/around the 9th can be misleading also. November 20th could be around the 9th...
I knew what your point was, but in general, pre-ordering isn't for "getting on launch day" or there wouldn't be crowds and lines... every one would pre-order.

The purpose of pre-ordering (generally), is to be able to get a device and avoid not being able to get one because they are sold out.

AT&T did a great job having pre-orders! For these reasons, I wish they wouldn't even do pre-orders.

And devices (normally) ship within 3-5 business days, so November 20th would not be "on or around".

But hey... be mad at AT&T. Heck, show them you're serious and leave. Or get angry and tell every one about how AT&T sucks... it won't change the way the pre-ordering process works.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I knew what your point was, but in general, pre-ordering isn't for "getting on launch day" or there wouldn't be crowds and lines... every one would pre-order.

The purpose of pre-ordering (generally), is to be able to get a device and avoid not being able to get one because they are sold out.

AT&T did a great job having pre-orders! For these reasons, I wish they wouldn't even do pre-orders.

And devices (normally) ship within 3-5 business days, so November 20th would not be "on or around".

But hey... be mad at AT&T. Heck, show them you're serious and leave. Or get angry and tell every one about how AT&T sucks... it won't change the way the pre-ordering process works.

I think it would have been fine if they gave people accurate information. At for me both times I talked to a rep they were lying to me about shipment date and that no one who pre-ordered would get one until at least next week, etc... It's how they handle themselves that is the worst part. Customers don't like to be confused and not know what is happening. When I order anywhere else I know exactly when it will ship and when it will arrive before I even add it to my cart, like at Amazon. AT&T was simply not honest with their customers, and that is the problem here.

wpcautobot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Pre Order ... not getting on 9th

I pre-ordered my 920 yesterday morning on the ATT Premier site. The status of the order has not changed from "Pre-order Processing". I called them today and the representative stated that they are back-ordered due to high demand, and I will not receive it on the 9th. She could not guess as to when I would receive it.

I will go to a store tomorrow around 11:30, to see if they have them in stock. It's the earliest I can get there due to work. If I am lucky, I will pick it up and cancel the pre-order.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It definitely has been a sour launch again for AT&T. Every phone that isn't the iPhone gets this half-hearted effort from AT&T. They said the 900 launch was going to be bigger than the iPhone, yet their call reps had no clue what the 900 was when I was trying to put a phone order at the time. Now it seems to be just repeating itself again; it itself is really why Windows Phone haven't gotten anywhere here. Most reps look down on you if you don't have an iPhone, it is just plain ridiculous the kind of discrimination you get now for your cell phone, and this can be traced all the way to management because of what we can see from this botched launched.
I can't leave AT&T to be the only one at fault. Nokia should have held another event, and gotten cash from Microsoft for a blitzkrieg type of marketing. No one knows what the 920. I think the 900 had more mindshare in the consumer than this does. The lag from the September event with preproduction hardware just isn't good enough. The hardware is great, but it is really being let down by people who want it to fail is what I feel.

ky Phan

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

So you're telling me you wouldn't be frustrated if you were one of the first to pre-order and not get any type of communication the next day? I had to call in myself and each time I was given different information. The 4th person I talked to finally processed my order but does not know when it will ship out?

It's more along the lines of frustration for something that could have been really simple.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
So you're telling me you wouldn't be frustrated if you were one of the first to pre-order and not get any type of communication the next day? I had to call in myself and each time I was given different information. The 4th person I talked to finally processed my order but does not know when it will ship out?

It's more along the lines of frustration for something that could have been really simple.

Exactly. For instance my order was in Attention. Why don't they reach out to you? No, it would sit there forever until you called and complained. That is not the right way to take care of your customers. So they lost a sale from me.

ky Phan

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. For instance my order was in Attention. Why don't they reach out to you? No, it would sit there forever until you called and complained. That is not the right way to take care of your customers. So they lost a sale from me.
calling them wasn't that much of an issue.

I just wanted them to provide me with the information I need so i'm not sitting there in the dark (until the 4th person I talked to).

I just thought they could've done a better job with handling this launch, even if they didn't expect anyone to order it.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

You pre-order to get it on launch day. There are crowds and lines on launch day because so many people pre-ordered that you have no choice but to stand in line because they ran out of stock online.

So yes, while the idea of pre-ordering is to guarantee you get the product, the main reason is that you get it on launch day, not days after.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site

Not for a phone. Maybe a lung or a heart! I may joke around and say things about needing it, but due to me having worked for AT&T and have friends who have worked for couriers, I understand the process. I also know, dumb reps are my favorite to deal with. Yes, it's frustrating to most because they don't know jack, but it works in to my favor all the time.

Not once do I raise my voice or scream. Yesterday, prior to me pre-ordering, I got over $100 worth of credits because that rep didn't understand billing or was too lazy to look at notes. I can almost guarantee that I will have two charging plates, both in cyan (the color of my phone) for free.

I get your frustration, but life is too short to worry about small things. How about the customer who got held up at gun point for her iPhone in NYC and I got her a deal where instead of paying over $700 for a new phone, she left paying $199 + tax. Or the lady that almost had her LG stereo bluetooth ripped from her neck while she was pushing her baby in the carriage in which I swapped her damaged one out for a brand new one?

You not getting your pre-order on the day you want should actually make you smile knowing that there are others that aren't fortunate to be waiting for a pre-order.

vioalas

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
If it makes anyone feel better, I've pre-ordered a butt load of stuff through AT&T. My most recent, the HTC One X, had the phone marked as back ordered until a few hours before I got it. They always do this. The only difference is that they opened pre-orders too late. It should've been a week in advance (this is what's causing the errors), but whatever.

And btw, there are all these talks about lines and the phone getting sold out etc. Umm... Have we all seen the marketshare for Windows? No need to camp out for it.
I kind of like it though, pioneers in a sense? I'll like it even more when WP8 starts gaining the popularity it deserves.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
You pre-order to get it on launch day. There are crowds and lines on launch day because so many people pre-ordered that you have no choice but to stand in line because they ran out of stock online.

So yes, while the idea of pre-ordering is to guarantee you get the product, the main reason is that you get it on launch day, not days after.

I pre-order to ensure I get one, not get one on launch. If I wanted to ensure I get one on launch, I'd be waiting in front of the store hours before they opened. I did this with iPhone and iPad after the 3GS! I ordered 3 iPhone 4S, yet still went and got one in store.

Most people pre-order for that reason as well. A lot will probably be at work and can not make it to a store, whether there will be a line or not. I love WP, but I'm not naive... there won't be iPhone-like lines, if at all at a majority of AT&T stores.

ky Phan

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You might have bought me luck... It says "ship date" being 11-8-12. Thanks ;):D
hahaha!!!

maybe you took my spot in line for the pre-order

I did call a few of the stores next to my workplace.

One will have black and white

the other will have red, black and white

And the reps did say a lot of people have been calling about the availability for tomorrow morning.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Can't agree. I can say they were not prepared well... as seems to be the case with every big launch, but hey, I ordered yesterday over the phone and it's shipping today.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The fact that I had to stay up until 3 AM following election day, and sit on live chat while they worked with their IT to get the preorder working for non premier members, and to order IMMEDIATELY after it got fixed, only to be told they are out of stock, is a sham. People who ordered days after me got theirs shipped. I ordered literally as soon as AT&T IT get the preorder working, and I am told I won't get it and they have no ETA.

Hands down, the worst preorder experience of my life. and I preorder a ton of stuff. Microsoft needs to take this over with their own phone and tell AT&T to **** off.

cthulhucometh

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I ordered my Lumia on the 9th expecting to receive it this week but to no avail. They won't give me an estimate or anything. The only thing they say is I'll have it in 3 days after it ships.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6