Do we all agree ATT screwed up the pre-order/launch of the 920 badly?

TheKinkajou

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My pre-order with AT&T:
-They were more than happy to take my money for it
-Got a confirmation several hours later (Wednesday)
-Not a word from them since

My pre-order with Newegg:
-Confirmation right away
-Not charged until item ready to ship
-Got notification of charge and shipment the morning of the day before release
-Will have item waiting on my doorstep when I get home on release day
-Got a thank you email later with discount codes for up to 50% off other products

I'll be buying stuff from only one of these two companies in the future. I wonder which one to choose? :confused:

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
My pre-order with AT&T:

-Confirmation right away
-Got a thank you email later with discount codes for up to 50% off other products

I'll be buying stuff from only one of these two companies in the future. I wonder which one to choose? :confused:

Yeah, I actually pre-ordered three Xbox 360 games from Newegg a couple months back. The first two have arrived on release day, and the third is coming tomorrow, which again, is release day. For all three, they didn't charge me until it shipped, and they've sent me lots of discount codes.

Gotta love Newegg.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
My pre-order with AT&T:

-Confirmation right away

Which phone did you order from NewEgg?

bpgui

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, they screwed the pooch. Especially with the free charging plate offer that supposedly is available "through January 10, 2013", that they aren't honoring.

Instead of upgrading (and getting into a new contract), I'm debating leaving AT&T.

Rich White

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Very amateurish.

Even the product descriptions: re-using the Apple SIMS description and other similar descriptive messaging that generally shows a lack of attention to detail.

Speaking as a developer we aren't talking expensive rocket science. We are talking some fairly basic business communication capabilities that are easily added to a commerce platform. It wouldn't surprise me if they have those capabilities and simply do not care.

I can only guess they outsource fulfillment completely and go with the lowest cost per unit and its a number game.

footysr

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, they screwed the pooch. Especially with the free charging plate offer that supposedly is available "through January 10, 2013", that they aren't honoring.

Instead of upgrading (and getting into a new contract), I'm debating leaving AT&T.

I'm waiting patiently for my 920 to arrive then I'm calling Sprint to cancel my account. You can have my spot over there. ;) Honestly though, the grass isn't always greener.

bpgui

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting patiently for my 920 to arrive then I'm calling Sprint to cancel my account. You can have my spot over there. ;) Honestly though, the grass isn't always greener.

Sprint is horrible in my area... I'd have to go to Big Red, which I also loathe, so the choice is kind of like voting in most elections. I have to determine which is the lesser of the two evils.

Rich White

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It definitely has been a sour launch again for AT&T. Every phone that isn't the iPhone gets this half-hearted effort from AT&T. They said the 900 launch was going to be bigger than the iPhone, yet their call reps had no clue what the 900 was when I was trying to put a phone order at the time. Now it seems to be just repeating itself again; it itself is really why Windows Phone haven't gotten anywhere here. Most reps look down on you if you don't have an iPhone, it is just plain ridiculous the kind of discrimination you get now for your cell phone, and this can be traced all the way to management because of what we can see from this botched launched.
I can't leave AT&T to be the only one at fault. Nokia should have held another event, and gotten cash from Microsoft for a blitzkrieg type of marketing. No one knows what the 920. I think the 900 had more mindshare in the consumer than this does. The lag from the September event with preproduction hardware just isn't good enough. The hardware is great, but it is really being let down by people who want it to fail is what I feel.
I had the sales babe at a local franchise store tell me over the phone. "Oh! You are interested in the phone we don't want to sell!"

ATT really seems to be working against the success of this phone. Dirty Vendor dealing behind the scenes? I used to work in home electronics 30 years ago and this has that sick smell suggesting vendor push money is on the other side.

cthulhucometh

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I got the free charging plate deal but it's all on back order

NessyBoy87

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
This whole pre-order thing has been a total disaster. Mine still says processing, and if I wasn't given 10 different excuses by 10 different representatives, I wouldn't be as irritated. This is the worst customer service I have ever dealt with, and to prove a point, I should have went out and bought the damn phone at full price and went with StraightTalk.
I don't know if colors have something to do with it but at this point, I don't care what color the damn thing is. Paint it sh*t brown for all I care, I'm just wondering if it'll ever ship. I think I'd feel a whole lot better if a representative told me, "You wont get your phone until next year". At least I'll have an idea when I'm getting it. Just don't lie to me and tell me your going to ship it out on the 7th...then the 9th...then tomorrow...or the day after tomorrow. Very unprofessional in my opinion. Sorry, I just had to vent.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Tracking info says mine shows up tomorrow!! It's in my city's post office waiting to be delivered! It will be a loooooooooong morning!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion