Good news!! Sim Free Lumia 920 listed at Phones4u UK for ?459.95.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
That is good news. but it says unavailable, do you guys think it'll be available in stores??
Here's hoping. If I can't get it in stores today, I'm hoping it'll be available online. Only problem is we still don't know if the phone is actually unlocked or not.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
In the chat I had with customer service today they seemed to make a distinction: they suggested that a sim-free phone would come unlocked to all networks but could lock itself to the first network it has in it (not sure if this is true). They then said that any PAYG phones come locked to the network you pick and it's your responsibility to unlock it elsewhere then.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Having had a look at the price of unlock sites, they seem to have jacked up their pricing and some sites are quoting 4-18 days
Looks like getting it unlocked could be a pain

nano321

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
In the chat I had with customer service today they seemed to make a distinction: they suggested that a sim-free phone would come unlocked to all networks but could lock itself to the first network it has in it (not sure if this is true). They then said that any PAYG phones come locked to the network you pick and it's your responsibility to unlock it elsewhere then.
According to this article it seems the Sim free Lumia 920 is fully unlocked :).

Phones4u store reps confirm that Sim free Lumia 920 will be fully unlocked. Stock due on 6th November. ? Nokiapoweruser

Urban Splash

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
The whole thing makes no sense.....

I can't see how they can sell sim free but network locked. This is a nonsense. Similarly, I can understand the Pay as you go handset will be locked to the network you select. But in real terms, you need to buy a ?10 top up on pay as you go. So this makes up the price difference. To me, there is no real incentive to not get the sim free version. This is why phones4u have messed up badly. I think the sim free will actually be unlocked, but they are telling people they are locked to get people on contract.

luckylifo

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Sad thing is, the price is higher that AT&T even without the ?-$ conversion :( So much for the exclusivity! And by the look of it, I suppose only the black one is available to buy sim-free?

They obviously don't want to sell this thing here in the UK, like they do in the US.

Last edited:

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
It is sim free and locked to EE's networks - if you unlock it, you void the warranty - that is straight from Phones4U's twitter feed.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
It is sim free and locked to EE's networks - if you unlock it, you void the warranty - that is straight from Phones4U's twitter feed.

Frankly I don't think that is true. Unlocking your phone does no harm whatsoever to the device.

So, when the exclusivity period is over and EE will then issue unlock codes, will your warranty be void? I don't think so.

I think EE will most likely be unlocking handsets for business users on request, they might have to to clinch deals with companies.

BTW if anyone was hoping to get an EE sim only plan (cheaper) they have tweeted that they are delayed until the end of the month.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been told more than once that the phones they have in stock are 'designed for contract' which sounds like they're trying to tell me they're not actually compatible with sim-free or PAYG. Really not impressed.

xH4RRYx

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
talked to an advisor

Just chatted with a phones4u sales advisor who said they don't know when the phones will be available SIM-free as they are currently reserving them for contracts but that they WILL be unlocked! This is good right?!
attached a pic of the conversation :)

boyce1989

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I think the sim free lumia 920 is open now.. and I have checked with their online stuff...told me that it is totally onlocked...

General Info
Chat start time Nov 9, 2012 12:17:33 PM EST
Chat end time Nov 9, 2012 12:31:44 PM EST
Duration (actual chatting time) 00:14:11
Operator Ash
Chat Transcript
info: Thank you for choosing Phones4U. A Sales Advisor will be with you shortly.
In accepting this Live Chat you are confirming that you are over 18 years of age.
info: All Sales Advisor are currently assisting others. Thanks for your patience we'll be with you shortly.
info: You are now connected with Ash.

Ash: Hello, you're chatting with Ash, a Phones4U Sales Advisor, may I take your name please?
Boyce: hi
Boyce: Boye
Boyce: Boyce
Boyce: I am just asking if the sim free nokia sold on your website is totally unlocked or not?
Boyce: on this page Nokia Lumia 920 SIM Free Deals | Phones 4u
Boyce: hello?
Boyce: ?
Ash: all the sim free phones will accept any uk sim yes
Ash: sorry we had connection problems then boyce, how are you today?
Boyce: Good. So I can use giffgaff on the sim free lumia 920?
Ash: you sure can :)
Boyce: Because the information on the internet about lumia 920 is tricky...so I want to you to confirm...
Ash: yea sim free means its unlocked boyce
Ash: i take it you have found the handset on the website?
Boyce: Thanks for your conformation. I am going to buy one lumia 920. thanks very much.
info: A copy of this chat transcript will be sent to boyce1989@gmail.com at the end of this chat.
Ash: its a pleasure, keep the chat open for while your ordering for if you have any questions

sketchedout

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
This whole experience has been shockingly bad. I've been phoning my local phones4u and popping in on delivery days just in case. The person I have been talking to about it has been maintaining the whole unlocked sim free issue wont be a problem - just a matter of stock. Following many people now getting there handsets sim free from Phones4u and reporting that they are in actual fact locked I phoned my local to check.
Amazingly the person I have been speaking to all week denied all knowledge of telling me they would sell sim free and claimed they never knew I wanted it sim free. Apparently I must have spoken to someone else - despite the person even knowing my name! The person went straight into contract selling mode unsurprisingly. My thoughts now are my details were taken just to try and convince me out of my current contract. No chance.
So has anyone managed to successfully unlock there UK bought handset? If so, how much and where from? I've read from another user that Orange are saying they must wait 3 months. Why would that be?

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I wonder how many complaints they'll get when people get their phones and find out they're still unlocked to the three EE networks. I cannot believe that even on the day of release there is still this confusion about the sim free models.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion