[Poll] What platform is everyone who is buying a 920 coming from?

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, lacking Symbian which still like only 4 years back was the biggest smartphone OS :p

As for a witty comment, perhaps focus on it's capability and freedom at the expense of fluidity and user experience.

I come from N8, which runs Symbian^3 Belle.

4 years back?! It was the biggest smartphone OS still this year.

January 2012 web usage:

Symbian 31.89%
IOS 24.04%
Android 23.21%

October 2012:

Android 30.19%
IOS 23.72%
Symbian 11.7% (combined with series40 26.7%)

It also was still the highest selling platform when Nokia announced going WP and abandoning Symbian.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Its really nice to see Nokia users come together regardless of which platform they are coming from.. we have Symbian users, MeeGo users, and now Windows Phone users.. which seems to be able to convert a lot of iOS and Android users.

I like Symbian, but there was no way they could have convinced someone that is using an iPhone to buy a phone with Symbian, like they are doing now with Windows.. No matter how good the UX, the negative press around it was really heavy, and the US based carriers never liked it for some reason..

Maemo/Harmattan .. same thing, it would have been really hard to penetrate the US market.

It also was still the highest selling platform when Nokia announced going WP and abandoning Symbian.
Nokia sold more Symbian phones last quarter as well.. which doesn't really mean anything, but still..

InnocuousScreenname

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Coming from Windows Phone 7 (Samsung Focus S), and I've had an iPhone, Android, Blackberry, and WinMo devices in the past.

I just picked up my Lumia 920 about four hours ago, and it's freakin' amazing.

My Focus S will now be my timer/pseudo iPod Touch during my jogging sessions. I'd like to thank my Focus S for a year of great service, and for introducing me to Windows Phone.

The Samsung Focus S is the girl you date....the Nokia Lumia 920 is the one you marry.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I am coming from android technically, but even after a year using it I never considered myself an android user. I was always biding my time til I could get a windows phone. When I saw the 920 was $100 and the wireless charging came with it I decided to pat my etf and jump sprint to att to get one.

I said to my wife that Nokia is doing what palm should have done. Undercut the other flagship phones by half and include the wireless charger. Well, that and make the hardware solid.

Glad to be on a decent OS again. I will forever miss webOS and nothing will ever match it (multitasking on wp8 is absolute garbage).

Well.. i left my beloved webOS that i have used since day one. Started on my Palm Pre, then on a HP Veer and i was one of the "lucky" once to get a HP Pre 3 which was my main phone until this Monday, when i bought the Lumia 920.

WebOS was a great OS. It had inductive charging from day one and even still has a few advantages over what i am seeing on android, ios and now wp8. ( Talking about the cards / multitasking and the notification led on the device )

But .. i don t regret going to WP8. I love it so far for many reasons. I love the tiles and the HUB views in different applications. The great keyboard with its suggestions. Voice recognition. The Nokia map stuff etc. The Nokia Lumia 920 is super fast and solid and takes awesome pictures.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
"Symbian - The king is finally dead" ? It did rule the smartphone world for almost a decade.. now its just a zombie OS waiting to die.

I will forever miss webOS and nothing will ever match it (multitasking on wp8 is absolute garbage).
Never had the pleasure to use WebOS, but I've used Nokia's Harmattan, and from what I hear it rivals WebOS in terms of multitasking and usability in general. After all.. Peter Skillman was the guy behind both projects, so.. similarities are to be expected I guess.

I am going to miss the multitasking on Symbian a lot.. its properly done, and its really hard to go back in a any way. Multitasking on iOS 6 is way behind Symbian..I still don't understand why, the hardware on the iphone 5 is almost twice as powerful as the one on my 808, and still... so restrictive.

Anyway, there were couple of videos from the Microsoft Build conference that made me feel a bit better about it... at least they trying to "mask" the pausing of the apps as well as they could.

Last edited:

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
We are on a roll here. I noticed that at least 60% of the converts actually comes from non-WP platform. This is really promising & potentially epochal ;)
PS. I've been with WP since day 1.
Trophy -> White L900 -> Upcoming L920.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I've got a Galaxy Nexus and iPhone 5...and just ordered the 920. I don't intend to "leave" any platform, but rather use and enjoy the unique benefits of all of them. Of course...I'm not normal=/

All I want is an HTC-designed phone with Nokia materials & camera, a WP software UI/UX, Android's openness for app/OS ties and integration, and iOS's app quality/update commitment/catalog breadth...is that too much to ask?!

Erik Rutberg

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Came from HP Veer on WebOS, Pre before that, and just about every palm phone back to the Samsung I300 (was around 2000-2001?). Miss throwing away a card to close an app and having a phone that really fit in my pocket, but that is about it.

Beacio_mo

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I came from an Android Skyrocket, sold it a week ago, and have been using a Palm Pre+ until yesterday. Gotta say the 920 is a breath of fresh air from the Palm and the Android. Voice texting on WP is exactly what I wanted, no worries about closing apps or my texts being read out loud during meetings (Android)

Beacio_mo

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Came from HP Veer on WebOS, Pre before that, and just about every palm phone back to the Samsung I300 (was around 2000-2001?). Miss throwing away a card to close an app and having a phone that really fit in my pocket, but that is about it.

Yeah, the cards are very intuitive. I loved using Preware as well to maximize phone performance (had my Pre+ running at 1GHz from a 500 MHz processor)

graigsmith

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
coming from an iphone4. i wanted to get an iphone 5. but the hardware is meh. i just heavily dislike the design.

multiple issues, the back of the phone is made of at least 6 different pieces, different materials. which makes it less strong. then they used a weaker metal too. so the aluminum i have seen reports of people's phones bending at the volume buttons. it just shouldn't happen, it's flat out poor design, which is inexcusable for apple. they could have easily used slightly thicker aluminum to fix the bend issue, this means they didn't test the phone long enough. just watch the iphone 5s is going to have a thicker aluminum band around the phone. in fact, i think some of the newer models are coming with a slightly different bezel. probably to help against bending.

i don't like the new taller aspect ratio.

i actually liked the new maps on iphone 4, the design of the text and vectors made loading and stuff really fast.

the design though is what really killed it for me. and theres only one iphone 5 design to choose. it's either their way or the highway. so really if they don't do the design perfectly how i like it, theres no other option but to go with it, or get a different phone. so i might as well jump on some other ecosystem now. i don't really like android. but the hardware issue is fixed there. i could go to multiple different hardware vendors and find hardware that i like... same with windows phone, but the os design is very cool. so i went to windows phone.

i picked up my windows phone so far so good. lumia 920. i like the curved glass, makes it a little heavier, but it's oh so solid feeling. no flex to this glass screen. also i love the solid polycarbonate body. and windows phone 8 is fresh and cool. i like green tiles :)

cancerkilla23

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Thanks for responding to the poll everyone! I was curious to see just who would come out on launch weekend and make the leap for the 920. I have personally loved mine so far, although I still don't have a charging plate from AT&T yet (ahem!). I'll come back later and post my thoughts on this poll's results and what that could mean for the mobile market in a bit.

I'd also be curious to see how well the WP8X and 820 (which are both across carriers) did this weekend as well, and do a sort of meta-analysis of the launch of WP8 and what it could mean for the future of WP and the mobile OS wars in general! Then of course, I open the floor and look forward to great discussion to the future of the new kid on the block.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb