The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-20-2012 04:34 AM
148 1234 ...
tools
    Well, that's that... AT&T diaf

Also very disappointed in this launch, so disorganized ugh
    Last edited by MAERSK; 11-09-2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: bleh
    11-09-2012 02:53 PM
    The booklet says
    "Your device is approved for use on the LTE 700 (17), 1700/2100 (4); WCDMA 850(5), 900 (8), 1900 (2), 2100 (1); and GSM 850(5), 900(8), 1800(3), 1900(2) MHz networks. Support for LTE networks may have been disabled on your device depending on your country or service provider."

I have a request in with AT&T to get my unlock code, so far all customer service has been helpful and polite, but they say it will take time to actually get the codes; they're not in any system that they have access to currently.

Note: I bought the phone completely off contract, and I had to provide documentation of that fact with the customer service rep, otherwise I think they would try and thwart my request.
    Nice.
    Did you buy in store?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    11-09-2012 02:54 PM
    Nice.
    Did you buy in store?

I did. Showed up at my local AT&T store, there were only a couple people in line. I think they had five phones, one white, two red, two black. I was hoping for cyan, but the matte black is pretty nice too.

Everyone looked at me funny when I told them I just wanted to buy it straight up.
    What account is this for?
    I don't have an account, can I please just buy the phone?
    S_C_B likes this.
    11-09-2012 03:00 PM
    I did. Showed up at my local AT&T store, there were only a couple people in line. I think they had five phones, one white, two red, two black. I was hoping for cyan, but the matte black is pretty nice too.

Everyone looked at me funny when I told them I just wanted to buy it straight up.
    What account is this for?
    I don't have an account, can I please just buy the phone?
    The store I went to said I HAVE to get a plan with the phone.

Did you get a plan?

11-09-2012 03:05 PM
    I guess I'll have to be the guinea pig :o
    If you could be our guinea pig, then that would be awesome! Also, when I was in store I asked about buying it outright and they said I could do it, but they obviously pushed to try and sell me a plan. They should just let you buy it if you want.

The booklet says
    "Your device is approved for use on the LTE 700 (17), 1700/2100 (4); WCDMA 850(5), 900 (8), 1900 (2), 2100 (1); and GSM 850(5), 900(8), 1800(3), 1900(2) MHz networks. Support for LTE networks may have been disabled on your device depending on your country or service provider."

I have a request in with AT&T to get my unlock code, so far all customer service has been helpful and polite, but they say it will take time to actually get the codes; they're not in any system that they have access to currently.

Note: I bought the phone completely off contract, and I had to provide documentation of that fact with the customer service rep, otherwise I think they would try and thwart my request.
    Hmm, so based on the looks of that it doesn't seem like it'll run T-Mobile HSPA+ anyway, right? I am under the impression you need GSM 1700/2100 to use it (until the refarm finishes rolling out).
    11-09-2012 03:08 PM
    So it says it has Band 4 - 1700/2100 which means it will run on T-Mo, Wind and Mobilicity (when unlocked of course).
    11-09-2012 03:13 PM
    So it says it has Band 4 - 1700/2100 which means it will run on T-Mo, Wind and Mobilicity (when unlocked of course).
    But doesn't that only apply to LTE? Or am I mistaken about that?
    11-09-2012 03:16 PM
    you are right, i didn't notice the semi colon there :(
    11-09-2012 03:20 PM
    But doesn't that only apply to LTE? Or am I mistaken about that?
    This was a problem with the L900 because the LTE chipset was separate from the main basebands for GSM/UMTS/HSPA. Since everything is integrated on the 920, the phone does(in theory and technical-sense) to use HSPA on AWS.

AT&T might've locked that down via firmware, but the only way to check for sure is to get it unlocked and pop in a T-Mobile SIM.

11-09-2012 03:22 PM
    Thats LTE though grrr... I need this phone TODAY!! NO COMITMEMT NO CONTRACT then I'm gonna call att tell them I am in the military and they will unlock it
    11-09-2012 03:24 PM
    I doubt AT&T is going to release the unlock code anytime soon. I'm just gonna hope that Rogers or Amazon's Unlocked will be a respectable price.
    11-09-2012 03:27 PM
    I doubt AT&T is going to release the unlock code anytime soon. I'm just gonna hope that Rogers or Amazon's Unlocked will be a respectable price.
    So it's somewhat moot until the unlocks show up, but I talked to a representative on Wednesday when the pre-order came out, she said that they would be willing to give out an unlock code if you purchased the phone off contract. I did that this morning, at which point I called another rep, and he said he created a case for me to have them send me an unlock code. He said it should be resolved at the latest on the 17th of November, though it's unclear whether or not I'll actually get an unlock code. Later with the help of a friend, I repeated the process, and that rep requested I fax in my receipt as confirmation, and basically ended with the same information; that the unlock code would be forthcoming.

If this happens, and I get an unlock, I will hunt down a T-Mobile sim and try it out. I believe in my area, T-Mo LTE is still primarily on the 1700 slot. I don't know if I'll be able to confirm which band it uses, but if I get either 3G or LTE data, I will let everyone know. Optimally I'd like to use the T-Mo, but I'll still be satisfied with using straight talk for half as much as I was paying with Sprint.
    11-09-2012 03:33 PM
    I'm not gonna lie, I've read on other forums (Slick Deals) that AT&T stopped giving away unlocked codes through the process you describe. You'll probably get an email in which you get turned down based on what I've read.
    11-09-2012 03:50 PM
    So it's somewhat moot until the unlocks show up, but I talked to a representative on Wednesday when the pre-order came out, she said that they would be willing to give out an unlock code if you purchased the phone off contract. I did that this morning, at which point I called another rep, and he said he created a case for me to have them send me an unlock code. He said it should be resolved at the latest on the 17th of November, though it's unclear whether or not I'll actually get an unlock code. Later with the help of a friend, I repeated the process, and that rep requested I fax in my receipt as confirmation, and basically ended with the same information; that the unlock code would be forthcoming.

If this happens, and I get an unlock, I will hunt down a T-Mobile sim and try it out. I believe in my area, T-Mo LTE is still primarily on the 1700 slot. I don't know if I'll be able to confirm which band it uses, but if I get either 3G or LTE data, I will let everyone know. Optimally I'd like to use the T-Mo, but I'll still be satisfied with using straight talk for half as much as I was paying with Sprint.
    Really? If they do, that'd be great, because I'm actually traveling out of the country soon and would love to take a Lumia 920 with me (once I get once, of course).
    11-09-2012 03:51 PM
    Trying to buy via website (to get the Cyan).
    It's forcing me to get a plan.
    It also asking for my SSN.

Are they going to run my credit?

11-09-2012 04:02 PM
    Trying to buy via website (to get the Cyan).
    It's forcing me to get a plan.
    It also asking for my SSN.

Are they going to run my credit?

If you want cyan, you can buy it directly from a Microsoft Store. Two near me had cyan (and went and saw it in person). I'm on a quest for yellow, and it looks like I'll have to deal with the b.s. of ordering online through AT&T, including having to add a plan even though I want to order it off-contract to use with an MVNO.
    11-09-2012 04:04 PM
    I'd be shocked (unless you have some kind of dispensation) if AT&T unlocked it. When I bought the 900 off contract they said they were more than happy to unlock it for me until they went and searched for the unlock code and said it isn't in their system. Lo and behold once the 6 month exclusive ended the codes magically appeared in their systems!
    11-09-2012 04:06 PM
    If you want cyan, you can buy it directly from a Microsoft Store. Two near me had cyan (and went and saw it in person). I'm on a quest for yellow, and it looks like I'll have to deal with the b.s. of ordering online through AT&T, including having to add a plan even though I want to order it off-contract to use with an MVNO.
    WAT?!

Was it for AT&T?
    It's it unlocked?
    How much is it?

Edit: Just called the Times Square holiday store, supposedly they don't stock 920...

Last edited by xcharles718; 11-09-2012 at 04:21 PM.
    11-09-2012 04:15 PM
    Is the FCC ID (should be either on the box or imprinted on the back of the phone) "PYAA" ?

If so, the phone is physically capable of AWS 3G as it is the same physical hardware as the Rogers and Dev phones. If it's missing..it's due to firmware locking.

Edit: I see from ProfessorTripp's photo that it is indeed PYAA. So..it's the same hardware just a gimped firmware to make it unusable on the competition's network. Lame.

Next question: How soon can the XDA guys figure out how to put the dev firmware on the at&t phone :p
    Last edited by TexasLabRat; 11-09-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    11-09-2012 05:14 PM
    Is the FCC ID (should be either on the box or imprinted on the back of the phone) "PYAA" ?

If so, the phone is physically capable of AWS 3G as it is the same physical hardware as the Rogers and Dev phones. If it's missing..it's due to firmware locking.

Edit: I see from ProfessorTripp's photo that it is indeed PYAA. So..it's the same hardware just a gimped firmware to make it unusable on the competition's network. Lame.

Next question: How soon can the XDA guys figure out how to put the dev firmware on the at&t phone :p
    So basically we come back to the same conclusion that we won't know for sure until someone puts a T-Mobile microsim into the AT&T 920 and tells us what happens.

Though if this is true, I would be so ready to put the dev firmware on the AT&T 920 if it is possible for the folks at XDA to do this.
    11-09-2012 07:54 PM
    So basically we come back to the same conclusion that we won't know for sure until someone puts a T-Mobile microsim into the AT&T 920 and tells us what happens.

Though if this is true, I would be so ready to put the dev firmware on the AT&T 920 if it is possible for the folks at XDA to do this.
    Even it is the same model, we are not sure if AT&T model is different product or it is just has 1700 frequency disable. Also, as far as I know, we cannot put different firmware on different 920 yet. Someone at XDA already tried but Navifirm would not allow to flash over the current firmware. Best guess is to wait for new approach.
    11-09-2012 08:11 PM
    Even it is the same model, we are not sure if AT&T model is different product or it is just has 1700 frequency disable. Also, as far as I know, we cannot put different firmware on different 920 yet. Someone at XDA already tried but Navifirm would not allow to flash over the current firmware. Best guess is to wait for new approach.
    And the worst case scenario would be to wait until T-Mobile finishes refarming their network because then regular unlocked versions will work fine. But I have no idea if their estimated completion of "by the end of 2012" is still accurate.
    11-09-2012 08:39 PM
    And the worst case scenario would be to wait until T-Mobile finishes refarming their network because then regular unlocked versions will work fine. But I have no idea if their estimated completion of "by the end of 2012" is still accurate.
    Well T-Mobile "by the end of 2012" could be understood as major cities have 1900 Mhz. We are very close to 2013 and they only announced yesterday 3 more major locations. That not enough. Still, by the time AT&T ends 6 months exclusive, I guess we could all use 920 with T-Mobile 4G. Heck by CES 2013, Nokia properly gonna come out another Lumia for summer release with WP8.5 or whatever it will be called. At this point, you better off with Roger version or dev version which they are pretty much the same, as Roger version has carrier branding in the phone, however, price is not cheap at all.
    11-09-2012 08:59 PM
    Well T-Mobile "by the end of 2012" could be understood as major cities have 1900 Mhz. We are very close to 2013 and they only announced yesterday 3 more major locations. That not enough. Still, by the time AT&T ends 6 months exclusive, I guess we could all use 920 with T-Mobile 4G. Heck by CES 2013, Nokia properly gonna come out another Lumia for summer release with WP8.5 or whatever it will be called. At this point, you better off with Roger version or dev version which they are pretty much the same, as Roger version has carrier branding in the phone, however, price is not cheap at all.
    That's a good point. I forgot that in terms of technology CES is right around the corner. At that point then it would be more beneficial to get the newer model. I'm thinking maybe get an 8X now and wait for the Lumia 920 successor since it'll be T-Mobile compatible one way or another.

And the dev version isn't cheap either. I've checked both on eBay and the price does not justify getting that when I can get an 8X for $199 and just extend my contract. Maybe I could get a Canadian friend to bring me a Rogers version, but they wouldn't be coming here until Christmas. I don't think I can wait that long lol.
    11-09-2012 09:06 PM

It pretty much has to be the same hardware if it carries the same FCC ID (which it does) else the certification would be invalid and Nokia would have lots of 'splaining to do. Possible that it could have fusible circuits that they can sever to disable functionality...but I really doubt that. Occam's Razor pretty much points to firmware differences assuming it is indeed locked out at all. Given how much AT&T is apparently paying to subsidize the thing versus what Rogers is doing...it wouldn't shock me if Nokia cooked up a special disable-da-evil-AWS-3G special firmware just for them. But like has been mentioned...we need some real-world valid testing to know for sure as right now I think we're just guessing.
    11-09-2012 10:14 PM
148 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD