Can someone who buys an AT&T Lumia 920 Test a T-Mobile (US) microsim?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I checked the settings of the display Lumias (all colors except yellow) at the Microsoft Store and they indeed allow you to add an MMS apn, so anyone wanting to use these phones with an MVNO and save a boatload of money shouldn't have a problem.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
There should be something written on the bottom of the box, or in the manual inside along the lines of "WCDMA850/900/1900/2100/1700_2100 LTE700/850/1900/1700_2100 GSMQUAD"

please post a pic of that if you see it.

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
There should be something written on the bottom of the box, or in the manual inside along the lines of "WCDMA850/900/1900/2100/1700_2100 LTE700/850/1900/1700_2100 GSMQUAD"

please post a pic of that if you see it.

I actually checked one of the Lumia 920 boxes while I was in store and it didn't list any bands on it :(

It might be somewhere inside the box, but they wouldn't let me open it since I wasn't buying it.

xcharles718

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'll have to be the guinea pig :eek:

Only thing is when I go to AT&T website to order, it says I have to get a plan(even though I'm buying commitment-free).

How do I get around that?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Slaptoast

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
From a Lumia 920 purchased today

The booklet says
"Your device is approved for use on the LTE 700 (17), 1700/2100 (4); WCDMA 850(5), 900 (8), 1900 (2), 2100 (1); and GSM 850(5), 900(8), 1800(3), 1900(2) MHz networks. Support for LTE networks may have been disabled on your device depending on your country or service provider."

I have a request in with AT&T to get my unlock code, so far all customer service has been helpful and polite, but they say it will take time to actually get the codes; they're not in any system that they have access to currently.

Note: I bought the phone completely off contract, and I had to provide documentation of that fact with the customer service rep, otherwise I think they would try and thwart my request.

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, that's that... AT&T diaf

Also very disappointed in this launch, so disorganized ugh

Last edited:

xcharles718

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
The booklet says
"Your device is approved for use on the LTE 700 (17), 1700/2100 (4); WCDMA 850(5), 900 (8), 1900 (2), 2100 (1); and GSM 850(5), 900(8), 1800(3), 1900(2) MHz networks. Support for LTE networks may have been disabled on your device depending on your country or service provider."

I have a request in with AT&T to get my unlock code, so far all customer service has been helpful and polite, but they say it will take time to actually get the codes; they're not in any system that they have access to currently.

Note: I bought the phone completely off contract, and I had to provide documentation of that fact with the customer service rep, otherwise I think they would try and thwart my request.

Nice.
Did you buy in store?

Slaptoast

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Nice.
Did you buy in store?

I did. Showed up at my local AT&T store, there were only a couple people in line. I think they had five phones, one white, two red, two black. I was hoping for cyan, but the matte black is pretty nice too.

Everyone looked at me funny when I told them I just wanted to buy it straight up.
What account is this for?
I don't have an account, can I please just buy the phone?

xcharles718

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I did. Showed up at my local AT&T store, there were only a couple people in line. I think they had five phones, one white, two red, two black. I was hoping for cyan, but the matte black is pretty nice too.

Everyone looked at me funny when I told them I just wanted to buy it straight up.
What account is this for?
I don't have an account, can I please just buy the phone?

The store I went to said I HAVE to get a plan with the phone.

Did you get a plan?

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I guess I'll have to be the guinea pig :eek:

If you could be our guinea pig, then that would be awesome! Also, when I was in store I asked about buying it outright and they said I could do it, but they obviously pushed to try and sell me a plan. They should just let you buy it if you want.

The booklet says

Hmm, so based on the looks of that it doesn't seem like it'll run T-Mobile HSPA+ anyway, right? I am under the impression you need GSM 1700/2100 to use it (until the refarm finishes rolling out).

xcharles718

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
But doesn't that only apply to LTE? Or am I mistaken about that?

This was a problem with the L900 because the LTE chipset was separate from the main basebands for GSM/UMTS/HSPA. Since everything is integrated on the 920, the phone does(in theory and technical-sense) to use HSPA on AWS.

AT&T might've locked that down via firmware, but the only way to check for sure is to get it unlocked and pop in a T-Mobile SIM.

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
So it says it has Band 4 - 1700/2100 which means it will run on T-Mo, Wind and Mobilicity (when unlocked of course).

Thats LTE though grrr... I need this phone TODAY!! NO COMITMEMT NO CONTRACT then I'm gonna call att tell them I am in the military and they will unlock it

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I doubt AT&T is going to release the unlock code anytime soon. I'm just gonna hope that Rogers or Amazon's Unlocked will be a respectable price.

Slaptoast

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I doubt AT&T is going to release the unlock code anytime soon. I'm just gonna hope that Rogers or Amazon's Unlocked will be a respectable price.
So it's somewhat moot until the unlocks show up, but I talked to a representative on Wednesday when the pre-order came out, she said that they would be willing to give out an unlock code if you purchased the phone off contract. I did that this morning, at which point I called another rep, and he said he created a case for me to have them send me an unlock code. He said it should be resolved at the latest on the 17th of November, though it's unclear whether or not I'll actually get an unlock code. Later with the help of a friend, I repeated the process, and that rep requested I fax in my receipt as confirmation, and basically ended with the same information; that the unlock code would be forthcoming.

If this happens, and I get an unlock, I will hunt down a T-Mobile sim and try it out. I believe in my area, T-Mo LTE is still primarily on the 1700 slot. I don't know if I'll be able to confirm which band it uses, but if I get either 3G or LTE data, I will let everyone know. Optimally I'd like to use the T-Mo, but I'll still be satisfied with using straight talk for half as much as I was paying with Sprint.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm not gonna lie, I've read on other forums (Slick Deals) that AT&T stopped giving away unlocked codes through the process you describe. You'll probably get an email in which you get turned down based on what I've read.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
So it's somewhat moot until the unlocks show up, but I talked to a representative on Wednesday when the pre-order came out, she said that they would be willing to give out an unlock code if you purchased the phone off contract. I did that this morning, at which point I called another rep, and he said he created a case for me to have them send me an unlock code. He said it should be resolved at the latest on the 17th of November, though it's unclear whether or not I'll actually get an unlock code. Later with the help of a friend, I repeated the process, and that rep requested I fax in my receipt as confirmation, and basically ended with the same information; that the unlock code would be forthcoming.

If this happens, and I get an unlock, I will hunt down a T-Mobile sim and try it out. I believe in my area, T-Mo LTE is still primarily on the 1700 slot. I don't know if I'll be able to confirm which band it uses, but if I get either 3G or LTE data, I will let everyone know. Optimally I'd like to use the T-Mo, but I'll still be satisfied with using straight talk for half as much as I was paying with Sprint.

Really? If they do, that'd be great, because I'm actually traveling out of the country soon and would love to take a Lumia 920 with me (once I get once, of course).

xcharles718

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Trying to buy via website (to get the Cyan).
It's forcing me to get a plan.
It also asking for my SSN.

Are they going to run my credit?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss