Not so curved glass

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
So I finally got my hands on these badboys at a Microsoft Store in northern Virginia. I had my hopes up for yellow, but they had every single color except that one :(. Suffice it to say these phones are gorgeous, and the build quality is amazing. It was good to see every single color (except the one I wanted of course) in person, in-hand.

My one complaint is with the glass, which is actually quite flat, as opposed to being curved as advertised. The curve is so slight that it's almost unnoticeable.

I owned a Lumia 800 and an N9 before that, and that was the best, most gorgeous example of curved glass on a phone I've seen anywhere. Maybe it spoiled me, but I expected a curvature more in the mold of those handsets.

Again, everything about the phone is absolutely gorgeous, and this isn't really that big of a deal, but was anyone else slightly disappointed with how not curved the glass is?

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I love the 920's screen. When my fingers slide off the side of the display onto the curved glass, I get this huge grin on my face.

anon(157335)

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not disappointed at all. It seems pretty flat to me, but at the edges where the glass meets the body it's definitely curved.

Great design in my opinion.

kallemia

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Everything physical about the N9 (polycarbonate quality/finish, curvature of glass, of back) is superior to the Lumia branded 9xx's... except for the buttons, which eventually rattled...
kalle

So I finally got my hands on these badboys at a Microsoft Store in northern Virginia. I had my hopes up for yellow, but they had every single color except that one :(. Suffice it to say these phones are gorgeous, and the build quality is amazing. It was good to see every single color (except the one I wanted of course) in person, in-hand.

My one complaint is with the glass, which is actually quite flat, as opposed to being curved as advertised. The curve is so slight that it's almost unnoticeable.

I owned a Lumia 800 and an N9 before that, and that was the best, most gorgeous example of curved glass on a phone I've seen anywhere. Maybe it spoiled me, but I expected a curvature more in the mold of those handsets.

Again, everything about the phone is absolutely gorgeous, and this isn't really that big of a deal, but was anyone else slightly disappointed with how not curved the glass is?

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
The manager at the AT&T store where I got my 920 had a yellow one, and I didn't think it looked very good. I don't know if it was the lighting or what, but it wasn't a very pretty shade of yellow, in my opinion. I was expecting it to be darker, or more gold, and it was kinda pale and neon looking, if that makes sense.

I bought black, but I thought the red and white phones looked good, particularly red. Red did show smudges pretty bad. It didn't seem as noticeable on the white phone.

These phones seemed to be generating quite a bit of interest from people in the store.

To answer your question, I think the display looks great.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
it's an illusion. the screen appears to be more curved because the 800's screen is much smaller than the 920. the 800 has less flat area, so the proportion of flat area to curved area gives off a more rounded feel

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

I own Lumia 800 and N9 as well, but you need to remember we are talking about 3.7, 3.9 and 4.5 inch screens.
Lumia 920 probably curves just as much. Lumia 920 is already heavy, it would be ridiculous if there was much more curve on the screen, screen that's 4.5-inch.

I can't find quality wise any differences between my 800 and N9. What i have been able to test 920 it seems to be the same as those, but got much better feel on the buttons and much better camera strip behind that resist scratches. Though i do agree that Lumia 900 to me felt always cheaper, much thanks to the flat and raised screen.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
it's an illusion. the screen appears to be more curved because the 800's screen is much smaller than the 920. the 800 has less flat area, so the proportion of flat area to curved area gives off a more rounded feel

Definitely not an illusion. Having owned both an N9 and a Lumia 800, I'm very familiar with the curvature depth and angle. Both are distinctively steeper than that of the L920.

Call me shallow, but while the Lumia 920 may be curvier in the back, her sisters definitely have her beat up front :D.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Didn't get one... I'm still holding out for yellow. Someday, somehow, it'll make it to U.S. shores (and not be handed out to employees instead of sold to consumers).

Have you seen the yellow? If so, did you like it? I was actually considering yellow, but it wasn't really what I was expecting. Of the colors I've seen in person, which is all of them excluding cyan and gray, yellow was my least favorite.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you seen the yellow? If so, did you like it? I was actually considering yellow, but it wasn't really what I was expecting. Of the colors I've seen in person, which is all of them excluding cyan and gray, yellow was my least favorite.

Have not seen it in person yet, but I suspect it'll still be my favorite. Interestingly, it was my third choice when the device was initially announced. I liked grey, and then red grew on me. But since then I've found yellow to pique my interest more and more. Of all the non-neutral colors, it'll go with the most tile colors as well. I guess it's possible I change my mind after seeing it in person, but I doubt it!

5 to 10 years ago cyan probably would have been my choice.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
To me it looked pale, washed out and neonish. I don't know whether that makes any sense, but it wasn't what I would call a true, brilliant yellow. I guess I was expecting it to be a bit darker, or more gold. I was considering it because I like yellow, and I'm a Steelers fan. It wasn't even close to that shade of yellow. It could have possibly been the lighting. I was excited to see it when the store manager said he had one, but was disappointed when I saw it.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
To me it looked pale, washed out and neonish. I don't know whether that makes any sense, but it wasn't what I would call a true, brilliant yellow. I guess I was expecting it to be a bit darker, or more gold. I was considering it because I like yellow, and I'm a Steelers fan. It wasn't even close to that shade of yellow. It could have possibly been the lighting. I was excited to see it when the store manager said he had one, but was disappointed when I saw it.

Yeah, I'm a Redskins fan, and even though we say our colors are burgundy and "gold," it's yellow (same shade of Steelers gold/yellow I believe). I actually would rather it be a paler, more neon shade. I think that contrasts beautifully with the black screen. Cobalt, emerald, and indigo tiles will look so awesome on that thing. Pretty much any tile color works really. And if I'm going to a Skins game, the "Crimson" tiles will match well to give my phone a Redskins theme :). My only complaint would be the high gloss finish. Not that I think it looks bad necessarily, but I think that shade of yellow would look better in a matte finish. Oh well, can't have it all!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I love the red one colorwise, but the hands on feel was so much better on the black that I decided with that (until I change my mind again lol). Way better against fingerprints, microscratches and just the overall feel when holding

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Wait, you said the Microsoft store had ALL the colours except yellow? So did you get to see how the grey looks? How did it feel? Does it look good in person?

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

Well yea. This is bright yellow. You can clearly see that from any picture of it. The yellow tile on the other hand is more like steelers. A black 920 with yellow tiles would be very Steelers/Iowa Hawkeyesish.

Wait, you said the Microsoft store had ALL the colours except yellow? So did you get to see how the grey looks? How did it feel? Does it look good in person?

Pretty sure that did not include grey. Grey is not available in the U.S. period.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Its 2.5D .. same as the one used on the 800 and 808 .. its a slight curvature. The wider the screen, the less apparent it will be.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Well yea. This is bright yellow. You can clearly see that from any picture of it. The yellow tile on the other hand is more like steelers. A black 920 with yellow tiles would be very Steelers/Iowa Hawkeyesish.

In my eyes, it didn't resemble the shade of yellow in the images I've seen on the web, and there could be a number or reasons for that. In my opinion, the yellow I see on the Nokia website isn't the yellow I saw in person.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
In my eyes, it didn't resemble the shade of yellow in the images I've seen on the web, and there could be a number or reasons for that. In my opinion, the yellow I see on the Nokia website isn't the yellow I saw in person.

Well you should have looked at real life photos. The images you see on websites like that are typically going to be renders. They don't take light reflection into account.

Cyan is another one that is much lighter in color than in the renders.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb