Trying Straight Talk w my 920

Gladstoner

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I had cell data off. This is with it on. I only get edge here. Maybe it needs to be unlocked.
wp_ss_20121111_0002.png

usstuscon12

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You need the international version of the Lumia 920 and not an AT&T one to have tethering to work. Even if it is unlocked, the ROM is still from AT&T and it will still not work.

I used ST on my 900, and the moment you start doing YouTube or any sort of streaming, they will throttle you down to Edge speeds and it will be like that until the next month when your plan restarts, even though it says "4G".

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Aaah, so this is good to know! I'm going to be putting an unlocked phone on ST, so I shouldn't expect to have issues with tethering. Awesome!

Kacey Green

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I use NET10 so it should be the same APN settings. My mms works after changing to this below.

APN = att.mvno
User name = blank
Password = blank
WAP gateway (URL) = 66.209.11.33
WAP gateway port = 80
MMSC (URL) = http://mmsc.cingular.com/
MMSC port = 80
Maximum MMS size = blank

Those didn't work for me with Net10 Here are my settings:

Cellular
internet apn

APN: wap.tracfone

mms apn

WAP gateway (URL): 66.209.11.32 !
WAP gateway port: 80
MMSC (URL): http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMSC port: 80

everything else is blank

Last edited:

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can I actually use the data?

"I used ST on my 900, and the moment you start doing YouTube or any sort of streaming, they will throttle you down to Edge speeds and it will be like that until the next month when your plan restarts, even though it says "4G"."

I was under the impression anything under 100 MB per day was okay and wouldn't send up any flags. Was hoping to at least stream some music every now and then at the gym - would probably run me 50 or so MB straight. Anybody have any experience with that - am I likely to have problems?

Cornercurve

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

Cellular
internet apn

mms apn

WAP gateway (URL): 66.209.132

everything else is blank
Remember to delete any old APN info...those APN settings may conflict/override your new APN settings...

(old APN info should be found by going to "settings", then under the "system" column, go to "cellular", then "edit apn")

z06tim

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site

Cellular
internet apn

mms apn

WAP gateway (URL): 66.209.132

everything else is blank

I can see your settings don't work without even trying them. Your WAP gateway doesnt have enough numbers or is missing a period somewhere.

kara

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
"I used ST on my 900, and the moment you start doing YouTube or any sort of streaming, they will throttle you down to Edge speeds and it will be like that until the next month when your plan restarts, even though it says "4G"."

I was under the impression anything under 100 MB per day was okay and wouldn't send up any flags. Was hoping to at least stream some music every now and then at the gym - would probably run me 50 or so MB straight. Anybody have any experience with that - am I likely to have problems?
I wish straight talk would be more upfront about when they throttle or cut off. Anyways, I use straight talk and I tried to test this out so one day on bart to and from school and throughout the day I streamed some music, watched videos on youtube, played some online poker and a mobile mmo, watched some of the A's game, listened to the rest of the A's game, and downloaded some apps. Obviously I was not very productive that day. All told I used 1.5 gb of data and I was not throttled or cut off. I called customer service to try and get a straight answer and boy they are good at talking in circles. I managed to get out of him that there is no set limit, it is based on if their network is being taxed that day. So if too many people are using data on their network they will start to throttle. Also, he hinted that if you are on auto renewal they are more lenient towards you.

anon(2255)

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I used ST on my 900, and the moment you start doing YouTube or any sort of streaming, they will throttle you down to Edge speeds and it will be like that until the next month when your plan restarts, even though it says "4G".

I used ST with a few Android phones (not that the phone makes a difference), and not only streamed, but tethered as well. Not once was I throttled, not even a little bit.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I used ST with a few Android phones (not that the phone makes a difference), and not only streamed, but tethered as well. Not once was I throttled, not even a little bit.

Yours was a unique case,they can't always catch everyone but according to their TOS, streaming and tethering is against it and they have the right to limit or ban usage entirely.

frageelay

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad to see this thread!

I am going out tomorrow to get Straight Talk! Thanks for the information. I called AT&T today and they gave me a case number for the unlock. However, she said it was 50/50. Hoping to use ST until I can get it unlocked through an unlocking agency or AT&T. Been using it on WiFi without the sim for emails and such.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Frageelay you do not need to unlock the phone to get it work on st. You just need to get the st at&t compatible sim card to get it to work. If you need tethering then you need an unbranded unlocked phone (international version).

Kacey Green

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
was having quite a time getting that poste edited, kept getting logged out using IE10

here's the updated field from the mms apn page
WAP gateway (URL): 66.209.11.32 !

jeres88

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the 920 on ST, it is working really well for me. It is a bit upsetting that I can't tether with it (since it's that AT&T version), but I'll live.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes