Trying Straight Talk w my 920

Kacey Green

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Switched the black att Lumia for a dev phone, good thing the cyan one was backordered 3 weeks or this would have been a tough call. Letting the ST/N10 service expire will drop the sim in my 710 until then. Now running the 920 dev as my daily driver on tmoUS!

S_C_B

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I just got home with the red Lumia 920, and I use ST. I set up everything, but the MMS didn't work. I found the answer here. I love this place.

eurovisionacts

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Anyone notice that sometimes the network just gives you a "cannot connect signal". Very fustrating... usually when i go straight out of wifi range. I disabled the automatically connect to wifi and hopefully this will make it more consistent.

Also, does anyone know if LTE is disabled (battery killer) since its a ST sim that only uses HSPA.

Turtle 1972

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering getting an unbranded, unlocked 920 for use with Straight Talk, but I'm curious as to how their 4G non-LTE speed would compare with AT&T's 4G LTE speed. Can anyone who's got this working with Straight Talk run a speed test and post their results?

expanda

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering who to contact if the 920 ended up with the battery issues. I would hate to spend the money just to find out I'm stuck with a bad phone.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Anyone notice that sometimes the network just gives you a "cannot connect signal". Very fustrating... usually when i go straight out of wifi range. I disabled the automatically connect to wifi and hopefully this will make it more consistent.

Also, does anyone know if LTE is disabled (battery killer) since its a ST sim that only uses HSPA.

by virtue of the att.mvno apn setup, the phone is not trying to use LTE prematurely. Now if ST ever gets LTE then yeah you are gonna have to put up with battery killing LTE.

Cornercurve

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering getting an unbranded, unlocked 920 for use with Straight Talk, but I'm curious as to how their 4G non-LTE speed would compare with AT&T's 4G LTE speed. Can anyone who's got this working with Straight Talk run a speed test and post their results?

This is a Lumia 920 on Straight Talk...

wp_ss_20121120_0002.jpg

viedit

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm on ST on my 920 as well. Small'ish city of around 120k. We are a Verizon dominated market with very little AT & T presence. I'm able to pull around 2300mb down and just shy of 1mb up. That's about 10x faster down than what my wife pulls on Verizon 3g with her iPhone 4s. Not bad for $41 (3 month prepay) a month. That's more than quick enough for web browsing, and basic mobile needs. It's not the 20mb that Verizon LTE is pulling, but with the prohibitive data caps that added speed is somewhat wasted anyway.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
accounting for network overhead and congested towers, if you pull 6Mb down on ATT HSPA+ that's pretty much maxed out since they only went with HSPA 21. People with T-Mo SIMs see about 12 or so on their HSPA 42 network.

kmcochran

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just popped in the Straight Talk sim card into our black Lumia 920. I put all the settings in and the phone seems to be working. I sent an MMS message to it and it got there. Is the only thing that shows in the status bar, the #of bars of signal and 4G, wifi and battery? Does no carrier show? I was hoping for better reception at my house (the AT&T map shows better reception). Also, is there no roaming with the unlimited ST plan? We're totally new to ST, coming from Sprint.

jordanjs

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, more positive feedback from StraightTalk users would be helpful. I'm currently a T-Mobile customer, but have been eyeing the AT&T (USA) L920 for a few days now. I am going to try to somehow snag a red one from att.com for $450. Maybe if I talk to someone on Live Chat, they can tell me if I can cancel my plan right away before charging me an activation fee and the first month of a plan. I really dislike how the site forces you to choose a plan, even for an off-contract phone.

Anyway, in the event that I succeed in acquiring the phone I want, in the color (and price) that I want, I still need to switch to StraightTalk. I'm kind of nervous about network coverage compared to T-Mobile, and of course the data throttling. T-Mobile is extremely reliable for me- it's also cheaper. I'm only paying $30 monthly, but that's with 100 minutes voice (not unlimited). I don't talk that much, so that's perfect for me. Anyway, I'd be paying $15 more a month, just for this phone... but it might be worth it.

If anyone has any helpful advice, please do chime in. Thanks!

csudvm2003

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I just made the switch from Sprint/android to my 920 and I'm loving it. I set up Straight Talk last night and it is working great so far. The apn setup was definitely easier thanks to this forum!

One question, does anyone know how to set the time/rings before switching over to voicemail? I have google voice transcribing messages from this number, and I want to make sure GV picks up and not my Straight Talk box.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077