Stupid question about Wallet..

rclifton

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So I just picked up my 920 this morning and was excited to check out Microsofts Wallet app. I've been using Google Wallet for some time now and find it very convienant when purchasing items from local businesses that have the contact payment setup.

Anyway, my stupid question is, Does Wallet on WP8 not support purchasing via NFC? I've tried to enter both of my cards into the app (Chase and US Bank) but it only allows me to put in the first 6 digits then says no supporting apps. I choose enter card manually but there is no place to put the rest of the card number.

Has anyone used the Wallet app to make a purchase via NFC? Isn't it supposed to be supported?

Thanks!

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
It does not support NFC purchases in the US at this time. Unfortunately, Microsoft's NFC purchase is setup using a carrier-provided Secure SIM, as opposed to the Security chip being in the phone like with Android. None of the US carriers have the backend in place for that yet.

rclifton

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Really?! That seriously sucks! I'm using straight talk so the odds of a setup like that coming to prepaid providers anytime in the near future is probably non-existent. That's to bad too as I'm really liking the 920 and WP8 over all but without working NFC payments etc I'll probably return it and look at the Nexus 4 :(

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Really?! That seriously sucks! I'm using straight talk so the odds of a setup like that coming to prepaid providers anytime in the near future is probably non-existent. That's to bad too as I'm really liking the 920 and WP8 over all but without working NFC payments etc I'll probably return it and look at the Nexus 4 :(
hmm. you have to remember. when you get a nexus phone. the carriers are likely gonna get rid of the google wallet app. like what they did the last time. but seriously there's nothing wrong with the phone. just because of that issue doesn't mean you have to return it.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
ISIS mobile payment support is coming to WP8 in 2013 (not sure where I read this). Microsoft hasn't released any details on carrier support, but "claims" they will be working hard to get it to as many as they can. Or something like that.

It would be nice if this was all set up and available for launch.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Why would MS require the carrier to be on board? I wonder if this is why Apple didn't include NFC as they want to control it themselves.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
The OP sees the utility in this, which is great. However, you aren't seeing the big picture. What about that mom with two kids hanging off her shoulders and a nine year-old that runs away with her phone into 7-11 and starts buying up everything in the store. You and I both know that there more steps associated with a purchase other than holding the phone up to the NFC reader, but the mom won't. Then you'll see a whole bunch of civil lawsuits being filed against AT&T, Google, Microsoft and others.

Google Wallet won't be taken off the Nexus 4. This is an unbranded phone, unlocked by Google and for use on compatible GSM networks. AT&T couldn't prevent someone from using their own wifi unattached from the wireless network to download and install the app.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I believe NFC via SIM rather that on-board is more secure if I recall. There may be other variables in play here, but I'm not an authority on NFC and mobile payments so I'll leave it at that.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah right now ISIS is still in the testing stage. It recently launched in two test markets.

Isis in action: It’s pretty simple but no replacement wallet — Mobile Technology News
In the meantime, I wonder if the simple Pay Pass NFC application will be developed for WP8. All this requires is the NFC chip and not carrier support or a special SIM.

Something like this
http://www.intomobile.com/2012/09/2...le-paypass-sdk-simplify-payment-app-creation/
will be good for developers as PayPass is pretty prevalent now.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Nexus 4 is a great phone. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire