High Sensitivity Touch doesn't work

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I'll say this. It was 32ish and below last night at a parade here in Mid-Michigan. I was wearing gloves. My phone worked perfectly in them. That's all I care about.

wizzackr

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Strange, never really tried before, but I have the same issue. Does not seem to work with ANYTHING other than my fingers, really :/

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Here is my question, hopefully it is a legitimate one:

Why are you not trying to use this thing with gloves? When on earth are you ever going to be busting out a pair of nail clippers, or whatever other ridiculous device to use your phone? AFAIK Nokia only ever advertised or claimed that it would work with gloves. Reviewers took it upon themselves to see what else it would work with, and it turns out it would work with many things. But seriously, people are calling out Nokia and saying they are disappointed in the implementation of the high sensitivity touch because their nail clipper doesn't activate the screen? :grincry:

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't know the exact science behind capacitive touch screens, but I think the screen needs a tiny bit of disruption in its electrical field from your finger, or similar conductive object. Objects that are resistive probably will not cause the screen to respond. Plastics, wood, rubber and such probably will not work on the screen.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
After fiddling with it a bit, it seems that once the screen detects (somehow, its magic to me ;)) that something is touching the screen and the screen isn't responding, it'll kick in the high sensitivity feature.

Case in point - Its been cold for me in Michigan (I'm originally from the south). So, as I was leaving worship this morning I had my gloves on. At first, my screen wasn't responsive at all to the gloves. Then, I kept trying to unlock it and lo and behold after a short while (literally 15 seconds) everything worked perfectly. So for those where gloves aren't working, how long are you trying? you might need to wait a little longer before giving up :)

Still amazed at that I can use this with gloves without the 'tech' aspect of it.

Moocowdeluxe

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
AFAIK Nokia only ever advertised or claimed that it would work with gloves. Reviewers took it upon themselves to see what else it would work with, and it turns out it would work with many things.
Actually, Nokia also said it would work with fingernails and "certain pens" (though it failed to say what these "certain" pens were). Being able to use the tip of a pen for stylus duty is one of the things I was looking forward to, but so far, no luck.

Reference this picture:
TouchGraphic_0.png

C s G

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
So I've been using my phone a lot more with my gloves on past few days. I would say that there's definitely an issue with the high sensitivity touch (for my phone, at least). It's the hardest at the lock screen, but even after unlocking, sometimes it would die off as well mid-way using it, and either come back on, or not.

I thought it might be my gloves (Burton Powerstretch Liner which comes with a rubberish grip on it), so I just tried it with my nails and a microfiber cloth. Same thing.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. It's inconsistent - works sometimes but not others when using gloves.

Could anyone who fixed this by installing an OTA update (e.g. wizzackr) please post your version numbers into the thread (settings > about > more information)?

Here is my info:
Carrier CV GB
OS 8.0.10211.204
Firmware 1232.5951.1249.1004
Hardware 1.0.0.0
Radio 1.0.202075.3
Chip 8960

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Would also be useful to know if anyone else is still having this problem (particularly anyone with an unbranded UK handset - the same as mine)

Cheers2

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have the same version numbers and I've never had a problem with the super sensitive touch screen. Have u considered doing a soft reset?

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
This thread is ancient, but in case the answer was never said... Here's the answer.

There's a huge difference between the capacity of your fingers and the capacity of a metallic device. If both are detected, the phone will filter out the metal and only respond to your fingers.

Moreover, the screen will not respond to sliding metal if your finger was the last thing to touch the screen. I think this is pocket protection so your keys don't screw with your phone in your pocket.

You have to firmly press/tap the screen with the metal thing you want to use before the screen will accept it. When I say metal, I mean anything that will trigger the high sensitivity detection.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I have the same version numbers and I've never had a problem with the super sensitive touch screen. Have u considered doing a soft reset?

By soft reset, do you mean just powering the phone off and then on again? I've tried this and it doesn't solve the problem. I'm just trying to use gloves, not anything metallic.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Soft reset= Hold down the lower volume button + power button at the same time for 10 seconds or until the screen turns off

Thanks. Just tried that and it reset, but still the same problems when using gloves unfortunately. It seems to work sometimes, but other times there is no response at all.

Last edited:

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Soft reset= Hold down the lower volume button + power button at the same time for 10 seconds or until the screen turns off

No, a soft reset is simply rebooting no matter how you do it. Did anyone read my above tutorial?

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
No, a soft reset is simply rebooting no matter how you do it. Did anyone read my above tutorial?

Yes, I read it. It didn't solve it for me unforunately - still getting the same unreliable/inconsistent behaviour when attempting to use gloves

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I read it. It didn't solve it for me unforunately - still getting the same unreliable/inconsistent behaviour when attempting to use gloves

What kind of gloves? Are they thin fabric where your actual finger might be close enough to activate a normal screen? If so, the problem is your gloves. Try doing what I suggested with your car keys and report back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb