Phone keeps locking up

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
At first I thought this was an issue of me charging the phone and using it at the same time. While I was setting up my phone and downloading apps my 920 locked up four times within about 90 minutes. All buttons become unresponsive and I had to do a hardware restart every time (vol down + power + camera).

But, after being fully charged, it just happened to me again. Level of activity doesn't seem to matter. With only one app cached, the phone locked up on me while moving about the OS menus.

Has this happened to anyone else?

jayruguitar

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
This happened to me when I first got into my car after purchasing the device in store. Immediately took it right back in and asked for an exchange. No problems w/ the new device since. You have 14 days to return. Exchange it tomorrow as it seems you got a lemon.

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me when I first got into my car after purchasing the device in store. Immediately took it right back in and asked for an exchange. No problems w/ the new device since. You have 14 days to return. Exchange it tomorrow as it seems you got a lemon.

Fuuuuuuuuuuudge... I ordered a cyan one online too, so that means I have to wait for it. :(

cwinger

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
it happened to me when I started the weather app and didn't have location services on. I ended up waiting for the screen to time out, then it worked. all buttons were froze on a strange way.

It has not happened since.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine has locked up a total of three times. I used the **** out of it today driving up and down the Massachusetts coast. Got a lot of time to use Nokia Music as Well as Nokia Drive. Music I am thoroughly impressed and happy with. It's basically the paid for version of Pandora without ads (also can't seem to rate songs... that would be nice but it didn't seem necessary). Drive was, in a word, abysmal. It often "got lost", for lack of better words. While on the highway it would tell me to continue down the road for however many miles every few minutes... it got really annoying. It also doesn't stream the audio through the USB cable with Microsoft Sync, while my iPod/iPhone does (a bit ironic I would say). The voice text messaging feature through Sync, however does, work beautifully. Had a lot of fun shooting texts back and forth while driving and not having to look at the device at all.

All in all, not sure if this phone is going to be a keeper for my. The thing I was most excited about was the camera, but there have been enough shortcomings early on that I have yet to even want to find the time to test it.

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
At first I thought this was an issue of me charging the phone and using it at the same time. While I was setting up my phone and downloading apps my 920 locked up four times within about 90 minutes. All buttons become unresponsive and I had to do a hardware restart every time (vol down + power + camera).

But, after being fully charged, it just happened to me again. Level of activity doesn't seem to matter. With only one app cached, the phone locked up on me while moving about the OS menus.

Try reseat the SIM card.

Longshot2012

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

Mine just locked up too. I was trying to install an app from the marketplace and it just froze. Everything. I was searching the net trying to find out how to do a hard reset and stumbled onto this site. Guess I'll be here now :)

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
this is seriously not good (btw thanks to all for reporting). The 8X seems to be having similar issues to it's either a WP8 problem or a Qualcomm problem. Either way...some fixes had better be incoming like Real Soon Now (tm) or the excrement is going to hit the rotational ventilation device.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I posted about this on FB earlier. My friend's response was "welcome to Windows". He is an Apple ****** through and through, but it did make me literally laugh out loud. Windows does have a nasty reputation for these things. At least it wasn't the BSOD. ;)

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I posted about this on FB earlier. My friend's response was "welcome to Windows". He is an Apple ****** through and through, but it did make me literally laugh out loud. Windows does have a nasty reputation for these things. At least it wasn't the BSOD. ;)
I thought I was giving up the customization of android for the stability of a windows phone. Guess I was reading too many ****** reviews.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
This is disconcerting... Hopefully most people aren't having this issue. I've been using Windows Phone for a little over a year now (since 7.5 came out). I had a Lumia 800 and then a Lumia 900 and neither ever locked up. Not a single time.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
This is disconcerting... Hopefully most people aren't having this issue. I've been using Windows Phone for a little over a year now (since 7.5 came out). I had a Lumia 800 and then a Lumia 900 and neither ever locked up. Not a single time.

completely different OS all the way down to the kernel now though...so there's really no basis of comparison between the 800/900 and WP8-based phones. It's like the difference between windows 95 and windows XP....same basic user presentation but shared almost nothing code-wise under the hood besides high-level API's. Prior Lumia phones (and other WP 7.5 devices) had the benefit of leveraging a CE kernel that had been massaged and refined over a long period of time and was architecturally a lot simpler (and hence less able to support "modern" features like multi-core and the like). So they were pretty rock-solid stability-wise while also being a dead-end from a feature perspective.

It doesn't *completely* shock me that there are stability issues..though you did nail it with the "disconcerting" label. Given how late the dev SDK was released tells me they were working on stuff up to the last minute...that kind of "beat the clock" release doesn't scream quality code to me. I'm sure they'll get it ironed out...just like every other windows release there will be a "SP1" that will be the savior of the product LOL.

I'm still planning on getting a WP8 phone (probably 920) but I'm all of a sudden not in a burning hurry anymore. I think I'll see how all of this pans out first.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
completely different OS all the way down to the kernel now though...so there's really no basis of comparison between the 800/900 and WP8-based phones. It's like the difference between windows 95 and windows XP....same basic user presentation but shared almost nothing code-wise under the hood besides high-level API's. Prior Lumia phones (and other WP 7.5 devices) had the benefit of leveraging a CE kernel that had been massaged and refined over a long period of time and was architecturally a lot simpler (and hence less able to support "modern" features like multi-core and the like). So they were pretty rock-solid stability-wise while also being a dead-end from a feature perspective.

It doesn't *completely* shock me that there are stability issues..though you did nail it with the "disconcerting" label. Given how late the dev SDK was released tells me they were working on stuff up to the last minute...that kind of "beat the clock" release doesn't scream quality code to me. I'm sure they'll get it ironed out...just like every other windows release there will be a "SP1" that will be the savior of the product LOL.

I'm still planning on getting a WP8 phone (probably 920) but I'm all of a sudden not in a burning hurry anymore. I think I'll see how all of this pans out first.

Very informative, thank you. I guess my point was just that the stability, smoothness, and snappiness of WP7 really was a product of the OS, not of ****** reviews. WP earned every bit of its solid reputation. I don't know how WP8 will pan out, but I too am a little taken aback by these complaints. I'm not quite as gung-ho about getting that yellow Lumia 920, but I still want it as soon as it's out in stores.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)