Question about wifi on 920 (screen off)

Stormwatch342

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere that wifi turns off when the phone screen is off. Is this true? I regularly turn my phone 3g off and leave wifi on and tend to use my phone a lot to monitor my work emails thoughout the day.

if wifi is off this means my emails wont be checked...

Can someone confirm?

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Windows Phone (as well as iOS) do in fact turn off wifi when the screen is locked. Two caveats for WP are:

First, if it's plugged in, it keeps wifi on (don't know if it's also true when wirelessly charging, but I suspect so). Second, of any app is relying on a continuous data stream that has been initiated on wifi (such as music streaming), it will keep the wifi on for the duration of that stream.

My suggestion to you would be to have it charging while you're at work (if you're at a desk). If that's not an option...you're out of luck. You'll have to either manually turn on the screen every once in a while or just keep 3G/4G on:(

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Hmm.. if iOS turns off wifi wonder how my emails always get through?

I think it senses that you've got wifi enabled and polls for new email. Did your email appear simultaneously on your phone as it arrived in your inbox on your PC?

Now that you mention it though, it's entirely possible WP8 might have the same behavior...I haven't gotten my 920 yet and it's been a while since I've owned/used a WP. Perhaps someone else can confirm or deny this behavior?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo