920 and heat

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
MINE is matte black and I noticed it this mornig for the first time, I was playing civilization revolution with my phone plugged in and it was really hot, uncomfortably so, then to add to it, it died on me, it just totally died WHILE IT WAS CHARGING WTF!!!
to go with the yellowing tint on my buttons, and a battery that has lasted about 16-18 hrs im about to make a return...

TheDragoneer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded from a Samsung Focus to a red 920. Battery life has been horrific so far. 6-8 hours of light usage (checking Twitter, a few minutes of Angry Birds, random searches) and I've drained a full charge. I get the overheating problem, too. Even browsing the web makes my phone run abnormally hot. Playing games becomes uncomfortably hot after 10-15 minutes.

It's bad. I really want to love this phone, but I've had to fully charge it 2-3 times a day since I've had it. Never seen a phone with such poor life.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I asked @NokisCareUS about the heat on Twitter this morning and they said that it is quite normal for the phone to get warm when multiple apps are running. That makes me feel a little better but I just had my longest phone conversation so far, about 15 minutes, and the phone was pretty uncomfortable to hold on me ear. I only had KIK messenger and email open in the background.

Just dont know if I should exchange it. Everything else works great on this phone and I am getting fantastic battery life.

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
0MkIE.jpg

JonesCK1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone read that battery drain on the lumia 920 may be due to NFC and/or Nokia Drive running in the background?

My red Lumia 920 kept getting warm around the upper half for no reason, but after disabling NFC it definitely cooled down, the temp on the phone feels balanced now as opposed to super hot on top. Nokia Drive is also said to be a culprit in heating/draining your phone so I disabled it as well just in case.

I would suggest going into settings and disabling NFC and also going into background tasks and disabling Nokia Drive from running.

-For NFC go to Settings, under System go to Tap+Send and turn it off.
-For Nokia Drive go to Settings and under Applications tab go to background tasks and disable Nokia Drive and anything else you don't want running.

Worked for me, give it a shot ;)

Last edited:

Koltrane

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
On mine the heat issue is definitely related to charging. If I talk on my phone while it is charging and running apps that pull data e.g. drive, the phone gets quite warm. There is some heat without the charger, but nowhere near the heat when plugged in.

As a new win phone user, I can say that I love everything about this phone except the heat issue. It still troubles me, but if its merely a charging issue, I can live with it. Still Nokia should look into this.

jd195

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I've only had mine overheat to the point of being worried once, and that was yesterday. I left the flashlight X app open (with the light turned off) under the lockscreen for about 20 minutes and drained about 10% of my battery. Doesn't seem like enough to worry me, though.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
The only time I've had mine get on the warm side (my previous focus flash got much hotter) was when actively using GPS navigation. Other than that, nothing.

TheBigJMoney

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
My Cyan Lumia got noticeably warm the first day that I used it but has not gotten warm like that again. The only change that I made between that first day and subsequent ones was to turn NFC off (have no idea if the impact of doing so is coincidence or causation).

Leo Kaukidi

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I had this issue with my 1st one, it would get very very hot but I did have battery problems with it. New one has no heat coming from it at all.

topper74

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It looks like as if it has something to do with the 3G or LTE connection.
If i set it to 2G and use data it only gets a little warm and the battery doesn't drain quickly.
But set to 3G, even with full bars and excellent reception, the top of my phone heats up and battery drains around 1% in a minute or two.
Even on the charger it went down from 100% to 95% in 30 minutes while browsing the internet and going through the store.
Wifi seems better, no overly crazy battery consumption and the phone only gets slightly warm.
So it feels like something keeps the phone on full throttle while data is being used.

It can't be that sending simple text messages in WhatsApp will empty your fully charged battery in almost 2h.
And since every app, even the official Nokia ones, shows this behaviour it shouldn't be a bug in the 3rd party apps.

Hopefully some update will resolve this soon, otherwise the Lumia 920 is kinda useless.

PhilipDP

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Topper, I've switched off my 3G and now I can make a day on my battery. Using edge is slow, but at least it keeps the phone cool and the battery going. I've logged it at Nokia's discussion forum I'm hoping to hear from them soon it this is a hardware defect or just needs a firmware update.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had this problem. My phone will get a little warm if I'm doing something intense for a while, like watching a Netflix movie or playing a graphics intensive game for 20-30 minutes. Warm, but never hot.

This may help you locate the source of the heat:

5z3P6.jpg

bamelin

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Mine gets warm in the same spot everyone is mentioning when I make calls. Not uncomfortably warm but enough that I am noticing ... I have a bumper case on too ...

depeche242

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine just started getting warm too. Had it since the Nov. 15th and it just started happening the 27th. Not too hot but, warm after 10 minutes of talking on the phone. Had a freeze problem after a week and had to soft reset. The other day I was having sync problems. Wonder if it's a bad phone. (Mine in particular) My wife and I got the same black 920's on the same day. She hasn't had the same problem with hers. I wonder if I should exchange it for a new one?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99