11-30-2012 07:52 PM
37 12
tools
    The inside of our Lumia 920:

Source: neowin.net
    11-15-2012 11:46 AM
    Has anyone read that battery drain on the lumia 920 may be due to NFC and/or Nokia Drive running in the background?

My red Lumia 920 kept getting warm around the upper half for no reason, but after disabling NFC it definitely cooled down, the temp on the phone feels balanced now as opposed to super hot on top. Nokia Drive is also said to be a culprit in heating/draining your phone so I disabled it as well just in case.

I would suggest going into settings and disabling NFC and also going into background tasks and disabling Nokia Drive from running.

-For NFC go to Settings, under System go to Tap+Send and turn it off.
    -For Nokia Drive go to Settings and under Applications tab go to background tasks and disable Nokia Drive and anything else you don't want running.

Worked for me, give it a shot ;)
    Last edited by JonesCK1; 11-16-2012 at 10:50 AM.
    11-15-2012 01:34 PM
    On mine the heat issue is definitely related to charging. If I talk on my phone while it is charging and running apps that pull data e.g. drive, the phone gets quite warm. There is some heat without the charger, but nowhere near the heat when plugged in.

As a new win phone user, I can say that I love everything about this phone except the heat issue. It still troubles me, but if its merely a charging issue, I can live with it. Still Nokia should look into this.
    11-18-2012 03:11 PM
    I've only had mine overheat to the point of being worried once, and that was yesterday. I left the flashlight X app open (with the light turned off) under the lockscreen for about 20 minutes and drained about 10% of my battery. Doesn't seem like enough to worry me, though.
    11-18-2012 04:32 PM
    The only time I've had mine get on the warm side (my previous focus flash got much hotter) was when actively using GPS navigation. Other than that, nothing.
    11-18-2012 04:47 PM
    My Cyan Lumia got noticeably warm the first day that I used it but has not gotten warm like that again. The only change that I made between that first day and subsequent ones was to turn NFC off (have no idea if the impact of doing so is coincidence or causation).
    11-19-2012 10:10 AM
    Yeah I had this issue with my 1st one, it would get very very hot but I did have battery problems with it. New one has no heat coming from it at all.
    11-19-2012 10:14 AM
    It looks like as if it has something to do with the 3G or LTE connection.
    If i set it to 2G and use data it only gets a little warm and the battery doesn't drain quickly.
    But set to 3G, even with full bars and excellent reception, the top of my phone heats up and battery drains around 1% in a minute or two.
    Even on the charger it went down from 100% to 95% in 30 minutes while browsing the internet and going through the store.
    Wifi seems better, no overly crazy battery consumption and the phone only gets slightly warm.
    So it feels like something keeps the phone on full throttle while data is being used.

It can't be that sending simple text messages in WhatsApp will empty your fully charged battery in almost 2h.
    And since every app, even the official Nokia ones, shows this behaviour it shouldn't be a bug in the 3rd party apps.

Hopefully some update will resolve this soon, otherwise the Lumia 920 is kinda useless.
    11-19-2012 11:07 AM
    Thanks Topper, I've switched off my 3G and now I can make a day on my battery. Using edge is slow, but at least it keeps the phone cool and the battery going. I've logged it at Nokia's discussion forum I'm hoping to hear from them soon it this is a hardware defect or just needs a firmware update.
    11-21-2012 04:27 PM
    I haven't had this problem. My phone will get a little warm if I'm doing something intense for a while, like watching a Netflix movie or playing a graphics intensive game for 20-30 minutes. Warm, but never hot.

This may help you locate the source of the heat:

JGtz likes this.
    11-21-2012 04:30 PM
    Mine gets warm in the same spot everyone is mentioning when I make calls. Not uncomfortably warm but enough that I am noticing ... I have a bumper case on too ...
    11-24-2012 09:58 AM
    Mine just started getting warm too. Had it since the Nov. 15th and it just started happening the 27th. Not too hot but, warm after 10 minutes of talking on the phone. Had a freeze problem after a week and had to soft reset. The other day I was having sync problems. Wonder if it's a bad phone. (Mine in particular) My wife and I got the same black 920's on the same day. She hasn't had the same problem with hers. I wonder if I should exchange it for a new one?
    11-30-2012 07:52 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD