920 and heat

Brian McBride

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Mine gets warm enough that I don't enjoy making a call on it.

Of course, I'd prefer to use a headset, but I can't get any mic working with any headset I own. I think my jack must be... jacked?

I suppose I could go Bluetooth, but I like to listen to music a lot during the day and I'm already starting to be wary about the battery life on the phone when using any streaming service. Adding in a Bluetooth stereo solution on top of that might kill the phone in a couple hours.

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
absorb what heat? only place this would matter is in the sun, and yes, it is conceivable that a matte finish would absorb more heat than gloss. with that said, black will be the worst, white will be the best, the matte vs gloss difference will be a distance second place contributor.

My phone gets warm, but not hot. About as hot as my iphone 4 without a case buffering it. With a case, the heat on the iphone is much less noticeable.

the heat is a factor of the circuitry, but also the battery discharging. probably a good plan anyway, but turning off things like the sensitive touch and whatever else saves battery, will also save heat.

tumaykilinc

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
absorb what heat? only place this would matter is in the sun, and yes, it is conceivable that a matte finish would absorb more heat than gloss. with that said, black will be the worst, white will be the best, the matte vs gloss difference will be a distance second place contributor.

My phone gets warm, but not hot. About as hot as my iphone 4 without a case buffering it. With a case, the heat on the iphone is much less noticeable.

the heat is a factor of the circuitry, but also the battery discharging. probably a good plan anyway, but turning off things like the sensitive touch and whatever else saves battery, will also save heat.
Sorry, my English is not perfect might have used the wrong word to describe.

I was just wondering if Black Matte would have less issues with heat, than other glossy ones. Because of different material being used. Not that i know anything about materials and stuff.
I am going to get mine next week and i still have time to pick color, that's why i asked.

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, my English is not perfect might have used the wrong word to describe.

I was just wondering if Black Matte would have less issues with heat, than other glossy ones. Because of different material being used. Not that i know anything about materials and stuff.
I am going to get mine next week and i still have time to pick color, that's why i asked.
ah, my understanding is that the material is the same in all colors, the finish is slightly different is all. Could speculate about the surface area of a matte finish offering greater heat dissipation... but I think that would be insignificant. The sun will heat up a matte color more than a glossy one, and a dark color more than a light one. so matte black is kinda the worst case.

But I am not sure the "heat" being discussed in this thread is really about the sun. so maybe that's the answer to the question no one asked.

As for internal heat, color and finish should not have a bearing.

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
My black 920 gets pretty warm--probably the same as what everyone else is describing. It's battery also seems to die pretty fast. My wife's red 920 does not seem to get hot at all and it's battery has been pretty stellar. Manufacturing defect in the black ones or a firmware problem?

Sonofdex

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
From what I've read, the battery & coil are all held in a metal frame within the Polycarb... it could be that the frame, coil & battery heat up when charging and the phone passes the heat through the top. I did notice mine cool off after I stopped charging it. This should only be an issue during charge.

afkaboogieman

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Mine is running uncomfortably warm too. Basically any time it pulls data it starts getting hot. I haven't noticed the battery life, but the battery life was so poor on my HD7S that I wouldn't notice.

One theory, has anyone thought about how the outer metal plate on the camera might be the culprit? The whole phone is encased in thick plastic which doesn't efficiently conduct heat. But that metal Carl Zeiss plate get's noticeably hotter than the rest of the case, which I think causes the heat to get radiated out more quickly (like a coil on an electric stove).

I doubt this is something a software patch can fix, particularly with windows phones that drip data constantly to support the live tiles. Lets hope the first wave of cases comes out soon so we don't get burned.

Koltrane

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
920 getting hot?

Got my 920 last night and plugged it in to charge. Called my brother while it was charging and spoke to him for the better part of an hour. Noticed immediately that the phone around the earpiece was warm - not so much that I couldn't use it, but warm enough to worry me. I figured it was a combination of charging and use, because when it was just charging it was not warm.

This morning I was driving to work with the phone plugged in and was using Nokia Music and Drive. I got a call from a friend and, again, it was hot. :unsure:

I have searched on line and no one has mentioned this. Do I have a defective handset or are we talking a design flaw? Granted, both times it has been charging and working, but my other phones (android & iPhone) do not suffer from this.

Any thoughts? Anyone else having this issue?

Why0Why

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded Angry Birds Star Wars last night for my son and after a few minutes it was pretty hot. I have owned all types of phones and devices over the years and nothing has gotten this hot. I would classify it getting to the very hot stage. I expect warm with intensity, but this was significantly more than that. I have access to a laser thermometer. I will try to measure it when I can.

zmqlumia900

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Based on your guys' mention, I start to doubt that if these overheat issues are the defect generally happened on the Black model. Mine is black too with the overheat issue and not good battery life.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I have fantastic battery life so far but my black 920 does get awfully warm at the top after playing games or talking on the phone. I would say hot but very warm to the touch.

I wish I knew for sure if this was a defect so I can exchange it. Right now that is the only issue I really have so I dont want to give up a unit I am happy with if the next one will get warm too and may have other issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99