Lumia 920 Google Chrome

johndoee1

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've just sold my S3 this morning. I'm torn between the S3 LTE and the 920. The only thing stopping me from buying the 920 is the IE web browser. I've played around with it and I'm not too fond of it. Is google chrome or firefox available to download on the windows 8 mobile platform?

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Nope. If you're worried about Chrome, stay with Android.

I use it on my iPhone and GS3, but in all honesty, IE performs pretty darn well. Haven't run side by side tests yet, but if I was limited to IE, I wouldn't mind.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Although this may never happen, Google has at least been acknowledged the request on the Chrome Issues tracker. If you want to see Chrome ported you can star the issue here. No need to leave a comment on there unless you have some technical contribution, otherwise just star the issue (icon to the left of the issue title).

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Although this may never happen, Google has at least been acknowledged the request on the Chrome Issues tracker. If you want to see Chrome ported you can star the issue here. No need to leave a comment on there unless you have some technical contribution, otherwise just star the issue (icon to the left of the issue title).

Just starred it - #36 to do so which doesn't give me a huge amount of hope, but every little bit counts, right?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm no fan of IE on my PC but, I got to say I don't mind it all on the 920.

I'm the other way around. IE9 on the PC is just great. But IE9 and IE10 on Windows Phone just feel kind of gimped compared with every other smartphone browser I've used.

I don't care if we get Chrome or Firefox or Opera (hopefully all three) but I really need a non-IE based browser with a proper back button and regular browser features which is compatible with 99% of websites. I really don't want to hold my breath waiting for everyone to update their webpages to work properly with IE mobile (it will probably take 5 years if it even happens).

This is one of my biggest pet peeves with my phone honestly. It's not a big one, no deal breaker, but it's a source of annoyance at least several times a week when I go to a site and some element, like a drop down menu etc, doesn't work properly when it works just fine on an iPhone ore Android. :angry:

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The browser doesnt work well with this forum, it closes my keyboard after half a second once I press an edit box like the quick reply box.

Other than that, Im pretty damn happy with it, coming from Dolphin and more recently Chrome on the SGS3.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Surprised that people are finding the loading times somehow not good. Got absolutely no problems with that at all and on the tests it seems to do very good against other top end phones as well.

Though the user interface of IE on WP isn't my favorite. Could be better, but nothing that stops me liking my Lumia 920.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Kei: IIRC that costs money, and Im broke for the time being, probably since I bought a ******* Lumia 920, but Ill get the app as soon as I get my handset back from repairs :) .

Its still an issue with the browser though.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've found web sites that are broken in WP8 IE10 are just as broken in the desktop version. Most of the IE10 issues I encounter are scripting related. However, that makes many modern web sites almost unusable when it's an issue.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
For better or worse web pages rendered "correctly" more of the time on Android than on Windows Phone. Some sites are not mobile-friendly and without root access to block ads and disable various elements you could potentially tax less capable devices. I know in the age of dual and quad-core devices this is less of an issue, but early on I would watch phones choke pulling up pages. The browser on Windows Phone works for me. Do I wish it would wrap text more regularly? Yes. Because that piece is inconsistent I only browse a particular set of sites from my phone. My health insurance site uses flash, so I cannot pull up more than the mobile version that tells me how to find a local doctor in my area.

I would prefer Firefox, settle for Opera and I could live without Chrome. Until Windows Phone has a larger marketshare we get what we got and that's the long and short of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss