Lumia 920 Google Chrome

anon(5399450)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There is no way to "Forward" on IE 10, extremely disappointing

Also, chrome on android isn't even that good either, I prefer the stock browser, the quick access toolbar is amazing.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't think we'll ever see Chrome on WP8. Chrome on iOS isn't really even Chrome at all although it is nice having the sync capability with the desktop version and sharing of bookmarks.

I don't really miss "forward" I can't really remember the last time I used it. it's two clicks to see the recent browsing history.

marpadwpc

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm using Google Chrome on my home Windows 8 desktop PC, on my Windows 8 tablet, on my work XP ****ty computer. So I want to use it on my Windows Phone 8 as well. All my passwords, bookmarks are in sync. IE performs well on Windows Phone 8. But IE overall has tons of features missing. Microsoft has to improve IE to make me or other users switch, or let/ask Google to make Chrome available on WP8. Or make a Chrome browser just like they made a half-official (made by Microsoft, approved by Google) YouTube app.

It could be a win-win situation for both companies. Microsoft could gain users from iOS and Android to their phone platform, Google could get new users to switch on their desktop computers to Chrome, because of its nice features.

I'm also missing an official Gmail app, but that's another topic...

Another great example how users will suck, because of two giant companies' war...

By the way Chrome based on the open source Chromium project, so some devs should start developing a Chrome clone, which works with our Google account. I even pay for an app like this...

WPer

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am not optimistic at the availability of Chrome on WP. Apparently, Google is trying its best to kill Windows Phone before WP becomes a threat to Android. The Youtube app is the best proof. Official YouTube Windows Phone app confirmed as being blocked by Google | Windows Phone Central

If you cannot live without the bookmark and password saved at Google, you may not be able to use WP. But it is worth a try on a WP device to see whether to retrieve those personal information from Google is that important when you use your cellphone. I enjoy using Chrome on Windows, but don't find any trouble brought by IE when I use WP.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
IE based. The UI is modified, which is great, but it still won't load pages any better than regular IE mobile.

I don't know if it is based on IE10, but it works a lot different than IE10, I can deactivate picture loading (or set for lower res), I can change the font, I can download videos and I can download "things" too (and upload it to Skydrive), it has "incognito browsing" and it has a back and forward buttons.

I really think it is not IE10 based.

ajeesh yacob

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
i don think google gonna give away chrome to windows phone in near future.
i use chrome on PC
i hate IE on PC but not mind using it on phone.
firefox s available in windows store for phone.

abeinspace

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm the other way around. IE9 on the PC is just great. But IE9 and IE10 on Windows Phone just feel kind of gimped compared with every other smartphone browser I've used.

I don't care if we get Chrome or Firefox or Opera (hopefully all three) but I really need a non-IE based browser with a proper back button and regular browser features which is compatible with 99% of websites. I really don't want to hold my breath waiting for everyone to update their webpages to work properly with IE mobile (it will probably take 5 years if it even happens).

This is one of my biggest pet peeves with my phone honestly. It's not a big one, no deal breaker, but it's a source of annoyance at least several times a week when I go to a site and some element, like a drop down menu etc, doesn't work properly when it works just fine on an iPhone ore Android. :angry:

On this note, is it unfair of me to wish that MS would just give up on Trident already? Open-source the thing, maybe throw a few poor souls at it like WebOS got from Palm, then switch IE to WebKit and be done with it.

abeinspace

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if it is based on IE10, but it works a lot different than IE10, I can deactivate picture loading (or set for lower res), I can change the font, I can download videos and I can download "things" too (and upload it to Skydrive), it has "incognito browsing" and it has a back and forward buttons.

I really think it is not IE10 based.

It still uses the same rendering engine, albeit with an uglier (but much more useful) UI. You simply cannot, at this time, make a browser based on anything other than Trident for Windows Phone. Microsoft has not designed the platform in such a way that allows for it. There have been rumors that we could see WebKit support down the road, but that's the best we've got at this stage.

kivancio

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've just sold my S3 this morning. I'm torn between the S3 LTE and the 920. The only thing stopping me from buying the 920 is the IE web browser. I've played around with it and I'm not too fond of it. Is google chrome or firefox available to download on the windows 8 mobile platform?

With this question you have proved yourself that you are unaware of current modern software technology. Please stick to android and do not ever buy a windows phone. I really can't unterstand and stand people who loves google products apart from youtube.

marpadwpc

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I really can't unterstand and stand people who loves google products apart from youtube.
As long as IE can't offer the same (or at least similar) features like Chrome I won't use IE. It's getting better and better, but there's still a long way to go. First of all drop Trident and use Webkit, or Blink. Let my bookmarks, passwords, browser history, settings and plugins sync across all my devices. And an integrated spell checking tool (for non English users) would be nice. I want the same expreince everywhere! Microsoft already has a good cloud service, they could easily integrate these features.

So I can't understand people like you, who can't understand other users' requirements and stigmatize us like idiots.. Maybe you don't need these features, but others do! I'm not a Google fan, neither a Microsoft one. I just choose the best solution which suits to my needs.

rohitmarines

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey man ..i m not sure about chrome but fire is realeasing on 16 sep 13 . Bt its a beta version ...the final version will be released on 6 dec...and i suggest u to buy lumia 925 which lot better then 920 in all respects..

marpadwpc

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey man ..i m not sure about chrome but fire is realeasing on 16 sep 13 . Bt its a beta version ...the final version will be released on 6 dec...and i suggest u to buy lumia 925 which lot better then 920 in all respects..
As far as I know Firefox will be released only for Windows 8 with Modern UI, not for Windows Phone.

Moodib

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
With this question you have proved yourself that you are unaware of current modern software technology. Please stick to android and do not ever buy a windows phone. I really can't unterstand and stand people who loves google products apart from youtube.
IE10 is barely modern. They are always behind in pushing updates out to the browser and are working on various responsive fixes as we speak. When I'm programming a website, I don't want to have to build redundancy code into my scripts/html/css to make sure that when MSFT finally gets their stuff together and update IE10 that my old code will stop working and the new code will work perfectly. I shouldn't have to build two sets of code for how it is now versus where it might be in 6 months.

This thread is about browser technology, not the entire platform. When it comes to that front, IE10 is sorely lacking. Before you even ask, I have a Lumia 920.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss